• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    This is my daughter's car. 2001 Ford Escape with 3.0 V6 engine.

Here's the main issue... When she is driving her car, the temp goes up about 3/4 of the way (assuming around 210 degrees) which seems a little high to begin with. OEM stat is either 180 or 192. When she stops in traffic, it rapidly goes up almost to red line. It hasn't gotten all the way to red line, but pretty darn close. When she gives it gas, the temp goes back to 3/4. When she slows down, it goes back up.

I have checked the coolant level, and its fine. I let it warm up and felt the hose going to the top of the radiator, and it is firm and warm, so I assume the thermostat is opening up. She has 2 fans on the radiator and they are both kicking on.

Only thing I have found online is possible air pockets in the system. Other than that, I'm stumped. Looking for some input before I go and tear this whole thing apart.

Attached is a picture she took when it was pretty high.

image1 (4).jpg

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Water pump might be about shot... not moving enough coolant at idle to keep temps down. I’ve seen some aluminum ones with the impellers corroded down to nubs.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Water pump might be about shot... not moving enough coolant at idle to keep temps down. I’ve seen some aluminum ones with the impellers corroded down to nubs.

This was my original thought, but wanted other opinions before I took on that task. This engine is not easy to work on unless you have child sized hands.

Or not full open. That is a lot of miles.
    Coolant look good...???

Ya, its high miles. Coolant still looks good though.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    With the mileage on it I would replace the T stat and the water pump and take a good look at the hoses. Flushing the system wouldn't hurt.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    On some of the ford Duratec engines they had a secondary belt to run the water pump on the rear of the forward facing cylinder head. Usually had a small guard on it so not obvious unless you look close. Is it intact? Also the pump had a plastic impeller that would deteriorate and crumble.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    On some of the ford Duratec engines they had a secondary belt to run the water pump on the rear of the forward facing cylinder head. Usually had a small guard on it so not obvious unless you look close. Is it intact? Also the pump had a plastic impeller that would deteriorate and crumble.

Looks like I'm at least changing the thermostat. Had planned on that anyway. I didnt know about the secondary belt. I'll check that tomorrow when I have more light.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    You MIGHT have a radiator partially stopped up.
    IF you can get your hands on the radiator after it's been running a while.... You can feel cool spots or warm spots in the radiator.
    Check the oil and make sure it's not looking like chocolate milk. I doubt it but I think I know where other's thoughts are headed (as in head gasket or intake gaskets)
    I definitely would checkout the water pump area. Good lighting and hands on is best.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm going with thermostat or WP. As has been said, thermostats are the first place to start, expand to water pump, then radiator, then start checking gaskets & oil. Will it cool down if the heat is cranked up?

455 Beretta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    WLaf
    If this is a radiator where you can remove the cap and see water flow: when cool, remove cap and start car. Keep feeling top hose to learn when tstat opens and see if you can see flow (pump or tstat). Also, should be able to see if the passages are partially plugged (rad).

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I'm going with thermostat or WP. As has been said, thermostats are the first place to start, expand to water pump, then radiator, then start checking gaskets & oil. Will it cool down if the heat is cranked up?

I thought it might be heater core too, so I cranked the heat. Still overheats.

Top Bottom