• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I have been loaned a smoker to see if I want to buy one myself. Been looking at "how-to" stuff and learning by trying small things. When Kroger had pork butt cheap, we got one. I did 1/2 of it at 1 hour per lb. at 225 degrees. I don't recall measured temp when I pulled it out -- but it was technically done. TOUGH. Discovered that I needed another hour per lb to get it pull-able. Put it back in and was much better.

Did some venison -- tough/dry on the outside. 1 hour per pound.

Looking at things, should I have wrapped the venison in aluminum foil after a couple of hours to prevent drying?

Do I need to put water in a pan in the smoker? If I do this, do I need to wrap the meat after a couple of hours?

Got talked into taking venison to work for a pitch-in. And we have a nice brisket that needs to be done. Neither of these I want to screw up.

I need this to be SIMPLE. No complex stuff yet -- just want to put it in the smoker and not worry about it (periodic checking is fine).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    [video=youtube_share;ETZcTb_m_As]http://youtu.be/ETZcTb_m_As[/video]

I follow this guy's recipes alot. Buy his rubs also. What kind of smoker?

If you want a set it and forget it smoker. This is what I use. I just have to load the hopper a few times, usually 3 times at the beginning. And then "walk away, just walk away". Internal temp is key, not per pound/time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LK2SAYA/ref=twister_B018ACBXJ6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This time of year you should be able to find this size for 200-250 range.

Last edited:

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I have been loaned a smoker to see if I want to buy one myself. Been looking at "how-to" stuff and learning by trying small things. When Kroger had pork butt cheap, we got one. I did 1/2 of it at 1 hour per lb. at 225 degrees. I don't recall measured temp when I pulled it out -- but it was technically done. TOUGH. Discovered that I needed another hour per lb to get it pull-able. Put it back in and was much better.

Did some venison -- tough/dry on the outside. 1 hour per pound.

Looking at things, should I have wrapped the venison in aluminum foil after a couple of hours to prevent drying?

Do I need to put water in a pan in the smoker? If I do this, do I need to wrap the meat after a couple of hours?

Got talked into taking venison to work for a pitch-in. And we have a nice brisket that needs to be done. Neither of these I want to screw up.

I need this to be SIMPLE. No complex stuff yet -- just want to put it in the smoker and not worry about it (periodic checking is fine).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Keep your smoker 190 to 200 degrees, pork butts/shoulders put in a pan of apple juice, coke etc(there are lots of different liquids to use) smoke it uncovered adding your juice till you get to about 150 degrees, then cover it and smoke till your internal is about 195 degrees, take it off cover with a wet towel and let it rest for about 30 minutes, it will fall apart:)
    Deer is a WHOLE different art because it is so lean, deer it can help to brine it for 24 hours before smoking and like pork you want it in a pan with you favorite liquid, smoke deer till it's got a light smoke ring then wrap it in foil and bring internal up to around 165-170 degrees..
    Ribs.. cant go wrong with 3-2-1 method.. Google ribs 3-2-1 ). Follow 3-2-1 and they will be fall apart tender... smoker no hotter than 200 degrees...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

455 Beretta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    WLaf
    First, help us out here, what kind of smoker?

Pork shoulder (butt) can go 1.5-2 hrs/lb for a 6-9 pounder at 250-275. No way you’ll dry it out, very forgiving. No water pan needed. When I take mine off the smoker, I wrap in foil, then a big towel, then in a cooler for 2-4 hrs before I pull it. After I pull it, I keep it covered up tight until it cools a bit, to keep moisture from evaporating.

If for a group in the next week or two, I suggest no brisket or venison. The margin for error is too thin.

Go pork butt. Just an opinion. You’ll get accolades for the pork, even if it’s “just” pulled pork.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I put about six pounds of shredded pork in the freezer after mine. Just heated one up and it was great. Today I put about 7# of bacon in the freezer too.

Very fun and tasty hobby

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Wow! Lots of stuff already! Thank you INGO!

The smoker I have been loaned is a Master Forge propane vertical smoker. 3 shelves in it. Water pan and wood pan towards bottom.

The hour per lb gives me a planning time; I use an instant thermometer to check the meat. I have one wireless I need to put in the smoker to keep an eye on the temp. But I need a way to have an idea of Is this an all day thing or can I start it after lunch and be ready for dinner.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Deer is a WHOLE different art because it is so lean, deer it can help to brine it for 24 hours before smoking and like pork you want it in a pan with you favorite liquid, smoke deer till it's got a light smoke ring then wrap it in foil and bring internal up to around 165-170 degrees..

You put the meat IN a pan of liquid? Or just a pan of liquid in the smoker near the meat?

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    The brisket is for us. The vension would be for work. Both are already thawing so I hate to refreeze either.

I really don't like single use items -- my dehydrator is one of the few we have like that. A good friend has the Char Broil Kamander which is like a Big Green Egg but only double stainless instead. This provides more options in the long run and is what I am looking at. Though the more I look around, I am very tempted by a simpler propane smoker. Sigh. Do NOT like single use items.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Pork butt needs to be 195 to 200 degrees to pull. Cool to temp, let rest in a cooler with kid for 2 hrs, then pull.

I smoke front deer quarters... It's lean meat so difficult to smoke. Lay bacon on top of bambi to add some fat. Smoke for 3 hours. Foil it twice, then back on smoker until desired temp. Can't find my notes....Iirc around 160.

Vupd nailed it..... You must cook to temp and disregard a timer. Each piece of meat will be different.

Fyi, pork butt likes to stall at 160....Don't ask me why? You'll think the thermo is broken....it's not. Don't call it ready until the bone easily pulls out clean.

455 Beretta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    WLaf
    I’m not a brisket expert or anything, but don’t go by time, and after 200 degrees, turn the thermometer off, and probe by feel...should go in without resistance like butter. Might be 203 might be 209, just depends. As they say, it’s done when it’s done.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    forget everything you ever knew about cooking time per pound. get a thermometer and cook to a specific temperature.

Best advice so far. Check out charcoal and more in Sellersburg, they do.a bbq boot camp twice a.year. well worth the money. https://www.charcoalandmore.com/ BBQ Maestros https://www.bbqindy.com/bbq-bootcamp/bbq-bootcamp is another place in Indy that also does a boot camp. Although I don't know anything about them, Chris Marks, Chris Marks BBQ | Three Little Pigs BBQ & Catering , is the guest Pit Master at both locations so I'm sure it's a fun, tasty and valuable class. We'll probably attend one at BBQ Maestros even though we've been to two of them in Sellersburg.

You're probably looking at what several people wrote upstream and wondering why there's so many different lines of thought. Well, it's because there are so many different lines of thought. Pick the method that fits your needs, wants and equipment. There are people that swear by electric smokers, pellet smokers, stick smokers, propane smokers, BGE's, etc. None of them are wrong (unless it uses any fuel but natural lump charcoal, LOL!) There are disadvantages to all of them, some more than others. I'm betting that every method puts out damned good product with a little practice.

We're low and slow cookers, 225-235 cooker temps but we'll be in the smoker 16 or more hours. No foil, no pans of water, juice etc. and once we close the lid on the smoker it stays closed until the remote temp sensor says it's done.

Last edited:

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    +3 on the thermometer. I have had a BGE for two years and am just now figuring it out. I use a pan of apple or pineapple juice (sometimes bourbon) under the meat and use big chunks of apple wood soaked overnight. There's another thread here about charcoal; I only use the BGE lump. Cook around 250° or so. As a very general rule, about an hour/#. When I take it out, I wrap it in foil for 30+ minutes.

This reminds me of the joke about Apple computers. How can you tell if someone has an Apple? They'll tell you. That applies to the BGE as well. We're all snobs.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The brisket is for us. The vension would be for work. Both are already thawing so I hate to refreeze either.

I really don't like single use items -- my dehydrator is one of the few we have like that. A good friend has the Char Broil Kamander which is like a Big Green Egg but only double stainless instead. This provides more options in the long run and is what I am looking at. Though the more I look around, I am very tempted by a simpler propane smoker. Sigh. Do NOT like single use items.
    If simple and multiple use is your thing, buy a pellet grill.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom