• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    And expect to get anything in the trunk with the top down! We just returned from a much needed respite in Key West for a few days. Since I lived down there in a former life I enjoy flying into Miami, renting a car and driving to and from KW. We usually get a Mustang convertible but this time we opted for a Camaro just to check it out. Never again. NOTHING intuitive about this cars controls and the worst part of the deal is you have to practically empty the trunk to put the top down. And no you can't put everything back in once the top is down, we came close to duct taping our luggage to the trunk as there was 3 of us this trip and we really needed the back seat. We ultimately put the top back up after a few miles and never dropped it again. Wasn't necessary with the mustangs and the ford v6 is definitely stouter than the chevy v6.

Rant mode off.

I really just wanted to brag about being in Key West all week!:rockwoot:

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    That’s very strange that they made it that way. Sports cars aren’t made to haul much but you’d think they would design it where your trunk space wasn’t impacted by the top being down.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    And expect to get anything in the trunk with the top down! We just returned from a much needed respite in Key West for a few days. Since I lived down there in a former life I enjoy flying into Miami, renting a car and driving to and from KW. We usually get a Mustang convertible but this time we opted for a Camaro just to check it out. Never again. NOTHING intuitive about this cars controls and the worst part of the deal is you have to practically empty the trunk to put the top down. And no you can't put everything back in once the top is down, we came close to duct taping our luggage to the trunk as there was 3 of us this trip and we really needed the back seat. We ultimately put the top back up after a few miles and never dropped it again. Wasn't necessary with the mustangs and the ford v6 is definitely stouter than the chevy v6.

Rant mode off.

I hear U-Hauls are awesome, fun to drive, lots of cargo area and fuel economy to match that of a High End Super Car, just saying.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Rant mode off.

I've loved that place since I was an undergrad. Went to several breaks there with a bevy of nursing students (:naughty:), loved the uncrowded nature of the area (relative to, say, Lauderdale). Like a piece of the tropics you could drive to

Did you go all the way down? How well has it's essential nature survived? Last time I was there the world of chain retail was encroaching, with the prominant presence near the pier of stores you could see in any city. If it becomes just another Palm Beach we will have really lost something. Was the Pier House still intact?

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I don’t think GM designed the Camaro as a family sedan such that it would fill the bill for Chevy Chase on his Family Vacation.

If you wanna haul luggage rent a van.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I did that with a c7. Flew the wife (at the time) down to FL during a work thing. We only had one suitcase in the car at a time, until it was time to leave. I had to borrow a smaller suitcase from her parents and we had to drive to the airport with the top up and a suitcase on her lap.

God I miss that car.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've loved that place since I was an undergrad. Went to several breaks there with a bevy of nursing students (:naughty:), loved the uncrowded nature of the area (relative to, say, Lauderdale). Like a piece of the tropics you could drive to

Did you go all the way down? How well has it's essential nature survived? Last time I was there the world of chain retail was encroaching, with the prominant presence near the pier of stores you could see in any city. If it becomes just another Palm Beach we will have really lost something. Was the Pier House still intact?

There's a definite mall vibe right at the piers and enough $5 tee shirt shops for several towns this size but for the most part the vibe is still intact. Even more so than it was when I was down there 15 years ago. We've been twice in the past 3 years and may go again next year but haven't decided. The town really isn't a beach destination but if you're there to fish or drink it's the place to go. The food and service everywhere we went was excellent and they do not skimp on the alcohol when you order a drink. The only complaint we had while there was having to leave.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There's a definite mall vibe right at the piers and enough $5 tee shirt shops for several towns this size but for the most part the vibe is still intact. Even more so than it was when I was down there 15 years ago. We've been twice in the past 3 years and may go again next year but haven't decided. The town really isn't a beach destination but if you're there to fish or drink it's the place to go. The food and service everywhere we went was excellent and they do not skimp on the alcohol when you order a drink. The only complaint we had while there was having to leave.

WE still have family on the island. Gramma moved there in the late 50's for her health. Many visits in this life. G-parents are long passed but 2 cousins still reside on the island. Their dad was chief warrant officer for the army contingent on the navel base during the Cuban insanity. I have some very good memories of that place.

Top Bottom