• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My driveway needs to be freshened up but more importantly it needs to be expanded. I’ve spoken with IMI and they’ve told me what material I should use and will tell me how much I need once I get them measurements. I have a question about laying the gravel.

I have a small 23hp tractor with a front end loader and box blade. I’ve done some reading and have seen a roller discussed to pack the gravel down. Is a roller an absolute necessity? I can drive the tractor and my truck over it to pack it down but don’t know if that’ll be enough.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    You want to dig out enough to get a good bed with larger stone first. Then cover that with the smaller stone (with dust).

If you just put stone on the ground it will most likely get pushed in and then around and not stay too long. Same holds true if your old drive has a lot of holes in it. You can dump the new stone in, but it will wash out before you get a year in.

Little tractor and a box might not cut it for a more permanent application.

I am not an excavator by trade.... but I have wasted money on gravel in the past.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have a small 23hp tractor with a front end loader and box blade. I’ve done some reading and have seen a roller discussed to pack the gravel down. Is a roller an absolute necessity? I can drive the tractor and my truck over it to pack it down but don’t know if that’ll be enough.

Your tractor is probably too light, and its tires are designed to keep you from sinking. Not the best for packing down gravel.

But if the ground where you are is as soft as it is up here right now, it won't take much effort.

We have a bunch of guys around here with mini steam rollers who go around in the spring rolling yards. If you can find somebody like that, he might give you on off peak season discount.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    IMI suggested #2 limestone as a base and #73 on top.

That's good.
    2's will sink in to the mud or whatever is below- they are bigger rocks with more air voids between each rock. It makes a good base, especially if it is packed down in the soil below. The 2's themself wont compact with each other, but that's ok. 73's are smaller and will fill some of the voids between the 2's.

My suggestion (I've never installed a gravel driveway, but I work in commercial construction and used to get paid for recommendations on how to build parking lots) is to put the 2's down in a small lift and compact them down in the soil below - depending on how soft the soil is your tractor may or may not be enough umph. Place the rest of the 2's in another lift and consolidate them as best you can. Spread the 73's and consolidate them as best you can. Enjoy your new driveway.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    My driveway needs to be freshened up but more importantly it needs to be expanded. I’ve spoken with IMI and they’ve told me what material I should use and will tell me how much I need once I get them measurements. I have a question about laying the gravel.

grade it smooth with your tractor. Get a couple tons of crushed lime. spread it out smooth the length of the drive. Take garden hose and wet it down, let it dry. then get a load of river rock, spread it out. once that settles, get regular gravel mixed with lime, spread it and wet again with your hose. This is what we do on the farm. We've found this way lasts the longest, 7-10 years between at least.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Hi Phylodog!

I maintain a half mile stone drive and have added some areas near the barn starting from dirt. I use a Kubota compact tractor and have experienced good results. I believe the tractor is big enough if you're patient.

The stone recommendations you've received are spot-on. The #73 is just like the popular #53 mix but without the larger stones (1-2"). It's a good choice as a topper over a base of #2s.

Because you will will have to make more trips and moves because of the smaller tractor, you get more passes to compact the stone.

Bucket the stone where you need it. Use the box blade to move and level the stone and finally, backdrag with the lip of the FEL with the loader dropped on the ground. (The proper term escapes me at the moment. There is a setting where the hydraulics are not engaged.). The backdragging will give you a nice smooth finish.

I've always enjoyed working with stone and the tractor. I hope you do as well. :)

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Hi Phylodog!

I maintain a half mile stone drive and have added some areas near the barn starting from dirt. I use a Kubota compact tractor and have experienced good results. I believe the tractor is big enough if you're patient.

The stone recommendations you've received are spot-on. The #73 is just like the popular #53 mix but without the larger stones (1-2"). It's a good choice as a topper over a base of #2s.

Because you will will have to make more trips and moves because of the smaller tractor, you get more passes to compact the stone.

Bucket the stone where you need it. Use the box blade to move and level the stone and finally, backdrag with the lip of the FEL with the loader dropped on the ground. (The proper term escapes me at the moment. There is a setting where the hydraulics are not engaged.). The backdragging will give you a nice smooth finish.

I've always enjoyed working with stone and the tractor. I hope you do as well. :)
    Is “float” the term you’re looking for? That’s what it is on my snowplow.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

That's what we call it.

Most tractors have a float setting on the loader up and down lever. Some also have it on the bucket tilt lever.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Hi Phylodog!

Thank you Sir! I'm sure I'll enjoy it (other than the part where I pay for it - YIKES!!)

I'm looking at 52 ton of the #2s to go 4" deep and 50 ton of the #73s to go 2" deep. $2300 for gravel including delivery. Ugh

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Thank you Sir! I'm sure I'll enjoy it (other than the part where I pay for it - YIKES!!)

I'm looking at 52 ton of the #2s to go 4" deep and 50 ton of the #73s to go 2" deep. $2300 for gravel including delivery. Ugh

The gravel is the cheap part, the truck charges are what takes it up so high. Id use #53's on the New Part over the 2's, #73's over existing.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Gravel drives are one of those things that need upkeep, mine is 1300 feet long with 1100 at a 10% grade. I'm working on it about every other month.

Almost always use #53.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County

Yes! Thank you for jogging my lagging memory.

I've spread 20 tons of stone on several occasions. It takes awhile but can be relaxing as you sculpt the ground with your tractor. You don't have to do the work all at once. The stone suppliers will bring out the loads when you say so. A pile can even sit at your place for weeks. It won't go bad. :)

Have the stone dropped as close to the area where it's going as possible. If there are existing areas that are receiving a topping of stone, have the delivery drivers spread the stone. Those drivers are amazing in their skill to spread stone. They can do lots of the work instead of you.

The idea to use some #53s over the new base of #2 stone is a good one. Just plan out the work so that everything gets a final topping of the #73s. They look nice. Next year, after everything has settled, you can put down some #8 topping stones if needed. Those are just stone, no dust, so you don't want too thick of a layer of those or they will stay mushy.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    I put in a 300’ driveway 2 years ago. I had a buddy with a slightly larger tractor help me. His was 30hp. He dug out about 6-8 inches of dirt where the driveway was. Basically, he removed the grass and less compacted dirt. I then rented a 6 ton vibratory roller and rattled my bones for a few hours. The dirt was hard as a rock and shined like a mirror when I finished. The next morning, we had IMI deliver the 2’s. Good drivers make the project so much easier. They poured the stone as they moved forward and we used his box blade and FEL to do the touch up work. Then, I got back on the roller and rolled for a few hours. Then late afternoon, the 73’s arrived. Same process. Then I rolled all evening. It seemed like concrete by the time I quit for the evening. It was so well compacted. The dust was pushed into every crack and the next time it rained, water rolled off the driveway. It has held up really well. The roller cost me a few hundred bucks for a 2 day rental.
    Last year, I added a large turn around. I went cheap and didn’t get the roller. I used a 23hp tractor. The tractor did fine. It was slower, but got the job done. The finished product was not as smooth and pretty as the section I did with the roller. The gravel haas not stayed in place as well either. I would recommend renting a roller.

Top Bottom