• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've run into a few stories that just don't seem to fit in other general threads.

As your resident millennial Rank 9 Meme Wizard, I'm here to keep you up-to-date on the dankest and most lit, most juicy, most fire memes out there.

I think actual memes should remain in their respective threads (Funny Pic, Pol Funny Pic, etc...) but events and stories related to pop-culture meme-ology would fit nicely here.

Obviously, if the story in-question has ties to "AYFKM" or "SJW", by all means... those threads would be a better home.

Are you ready?

Let's begin.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Apparently Macaulay Culkin (of Home Alone fame) turned down The Big Bang Theory multiple times... and has now taken a role with Cinemassacre (AVGN) to review Home Alone video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shwFNKP_mI4

Also, Alfonso Ribeiro (Carlton, Fresh Prince) is suing the makers of Fortnite for "stealing" his iconic Carlton Dance.

Alfonso Ribeiro wants to stop the makers of Fortnite and NBA 2K from using the dance he first performed on the 1990s sitcom

As you can see here, it's obviously the same dance... It would be nice if he would embrace the meme and enjoy it. I don't think it's copyright?

[video=youtube;fzr5ROT7sAg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzr5ROT7sAg[/video]

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    These are the first images of the new Sonic the Hedgehog movie to be released next year. People are going nuts over how human he seems to look.

I don't think this is some "bad adaptation" or something. Honestly, I think they're going to embrace the meme, and make it hilarious. The official Sonic twitter account today made a joke about having huge muscular legs.

sonic-poster-656x864.jpg

20181210_110544_thumb.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ah. Cool. I think I could benefit from this.

For instance, the post-credits scene of Into the Spiderverse was, to me, just a funny callback to the old cartoon.

I later found out that it was a meme.

2ava38.jpg

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Internet Historian has a brief video today summarizing the "Planking" phenomenon... Pretty interesting to see how quickly it escalated, and even became an international news story, to countries wanting to ban it.

[video=youtube;xsqjbJ6hamc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsqjbJ6hamc&t=0s[/video]

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ah. Cool. I think I could benefit from this.

For instance, the post-credits scene of Into the Spiderverse was, to me, just a funny callback to the old cartoon.

I later found out that it was a meme.

Ah yes, the Spiderman pointing at Spiderman format. Comes from episode 19b of the 1967 cartoon "Double Identity." The meme was born circa 2011 on Sharenator, and saw a couple brief appearances in 2012 and 2013 on Funnyjunk and 9GAG. Widespread popularity began around 2015/2016 when the format started to find its home in describing situations in which two people or groups that are similar meet (with the irony being the joke, usually.) One crass example of a macro: "When two pedophiles pretend to be a 7 year old girl and finally meet up."

The format continues to enjoy a semi-upward trend. I still see a couple on a weekly basis.

eepNeRa.png

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Sony's integration of it into the movie was well-done. I'm glad to see marketers figuring ways to leverage the organic phenomenon rather than astroturfing.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Jack Black apparently launching a Let's Play youtube channel.

His 30 second intro video is meme-packed. Actually bought and used PewDiePie's $400 chair.

Edit:

Oh man, even his comment: "I just want to clarify that there is no production behind this. this is all my son. He's holding me hostage and I can't be tracer. help..."

just... memes. So many memes. Need to see a little more before I can decide whether to cringe or laugh.

[video=youtube_share;9fKpbTcAk1E]https://youtu.be/9fKpbTcAk1E[/video]

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Internet Historian takes a look at le epic meme from 2017... #JusticeForBradsWife

Yes.

Brad's wife, and the justice due to her from Cracker Barrel.

Incredible to see how a Facebook post can erupt... become a worldwide meme... get corporate accounts involved... and hit the news.

Maybe one or two bad words.

[video=youtube_share;vZlmUG00OrI]https://youtu.be/vZlmUG00OrI[/video]

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I knew nothing of this, not being social media savvy. Watched the vid this morning with the wife and we both loved it.

This stuff is hilarious. I can't wait to talk to my youngest to see if she participated.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Sort of dealing with some "Meme-ception" on this one.

Grandayy (major meme maker) video, featuring a meme speaker, presenting the 2018 Meme awards.

[video=youtube_share;jqmpWMIghFQ]https://youtu.be/jqmpWMIghFQ[/video]

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg
    This is what happens when you don't meme responsibly.
    You think it's all fun and games and funny photos on facebook, but before you know it you've got the God Emperor of Mankind strolling through Rome while Sabaton plays in the background.

[video=youtube;EWjC_mrucY4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWjC_mrucY4[/video]

Top Bottom