• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    This seems interesting enough that I scheduled an afternoon off and grabbed two tickets for the Dec 27 showing in San Antonio. Just in time too, two of the three theaters in SA showing it were already sold out and the third was half gone.

[video=youtube;IrabKK9Bhds]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrabKK9Bhds[/video]

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2018/12/they-shall-not-grow-old.php

How Peter Jackson Made WWI Footage Seem Astonishingly New

It appears the full video may be in YouTube as well, but from what I'm reading you need to see it in a theater to get its full impact.

As far as I know, you have to get tickets (in the US) from this site: https://www.fathomevents.com/events/they-shall-not-grow-old

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    A Cliff's Notes for the NY Times piece:

As part of commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the end of WW1, Peter Jackson was given 100 hours of original (or as original as they had) film footage from the war and asked to make a documentary. He focused on the experience of the Tommy in the trenches. Since the original cameras were hand-cranked, it gives the films that herky-jerky effect, and because of age there is film damage and missing frames. Using modern technology he had that smoothed out, repaired damage to the film, and for certain segments of the film added color, consulting with historians and making visits to France to get the colors correct. A 3-D effect was added, and then forensic lipreaders -- people who usually try to figure out what the bank robber on the security video was saying -- deduced what certain soldiers in the films were saying. Then people from the same regions as the soldiers, who likely have similar accents, voiced the soldiers in the film.

The effect of this is getting some really good reviews, it seems to turn the robot-like, grainy, men-from-another-planet look to somebody you could reach out and touch.

A nice touch is that although Peter Jackson used only about an hour and half of the archival footage, he had the entire 100 hours restored and the results given back to the Imperial War Museum.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've seen stories about this on the news a couple of times now and I'd love to see it in a theater, but apparently it's only having a very limited release and Indiana is not one of the places it will be shown. Some of the clips they've shown are incredible. And the British really did have bad teeth! :):

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I've seen stories about this on the news a couple of times now and I'd love to see it in a theater, but apparently it's only having a very limited release and Indiana is not one of the places it will be shown. Some of the clips they've shown are incredible. And the British really did have bad teeth! :):

Click on the link he provided, it is being shown here. I'm going to see it in Carmel.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Click on the link he provided, it is being shown here. I'm going to see it in Carmel.

Yep. It's also being shown on 12/27 @ AMC Traders Point 12 theatres (W 86th St- INDY) at 1PM and 4PM. I think I will try to get tix..

Oh wow, thanks! I didn't click his link because I had heard on the news that it was only being released in a limited number of cities (I think they listed 4 and Indy wasn't one of them). That's what I get for trusting the news! Unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to attend at those times. :( Hopefully it will eventually be available On Demand.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Slowhand and I saw it last Monday in Plainfield, very cool and it was not only colorized but in 3D too, which I did'nt expect. Nothing but actual WW1 footage, it gave a pretty good feeling of what it was like on the front lines.
    But it covered the whole war from start to finish in a couple hours so nothing to indepth. A lot from the soldiers perspective.

To me it was very interesting and being in color and 3D really brought it to life.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, I've followed the restoration articles - amazing technology. Will look for an opportunity to go see it!

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    That looks amazing.

My great grandpa was a WWI vet. Lucky for me, he grew very old.;)

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I saw it yesterday, and it was an excellent piece of work, truly well done. I would go see it again in a theater if it were available. My father was born in 1918, as I understand it this kept my grandfather out of WWI. Having a slight overlap in life with my grandfather and thankfully a much longer one with my father, WWI still seems less "history" and more "reality" to me, as opposed to, say, Agincourt. Very informative, emotional impact, not preachy, just pictures, video, and (for the vast majority of time) actual voices of the British soldiers in the trenches.

There are DVDs of it available in Europe, in the European format. Now that it has had its US run, I am guessing they will become available in US format as well.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    LOVED IT!!!! Watched it in 3D last night with my 17yr old son. We loved it greatly. The 30 min documentary afterwards about how they made this move was fascinating as well. I hope it comes to DVD because I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    So, I wonder how to find a location?

Unfortunately it was shown only on 17 and 27 December 2018 in US theaters. I can find no indication there will be further theater showings. I expect to see it on DVD or video streaming, but unfortunately the theater experience window has closed for now. :(

Top Bottom