Medical errors third leading cause of death???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I have always scoffed at that report. It’s utter nonsense. One of the studies was done by a NASA scientist whose child died and he felt it was a mistake, then he lost his malpractice case when the judge tossed it out.

included were cases where “the intended treatment did not produce the desired outcome”. Basically any time a non-DNR patient died was an error.

they also used one study that only looked at Medicare patients (elderly or chronically disabled) and used that data to extrapolate to the entire population. Garbage.

i see plenty of people die. Some from complications. Complications are usually not errors, but were counted as such. Maybe a few deaths from true errors in 13 years, But they are the VAST minority.

it’s Seventeen minutes and worth a listen.

http://emcrit.org/emcrit/medical-error-epidemic-craziness/

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I have always scoffed at that report. It’s utter nonsense. One of the studies was done by a NASA scientist whose child died and he felt it was a mistake, then he lost his malpractice case when the judge tossed it out.

included were cases where “the intended treatment did not produce the desired outcome”. Basically any time a non-DNR patient died was an error.

they also used one study that only looked at Medicare patients (elderly or chronically disabled) and used that data to extrapolate to the entire population. Garbage.

i see plenty of people die. Some from complications. Complications are usually not errors, but were counted as such. Maybe a few deaths from true errors in 13 years, But they are the VAST minority.

it’s Seventeen minutes and worth a listen.

http://emcrit.org/emcrit/medical-error-epidemic-craziness/

Another case of "you can spin the data to serve your agenda" Doc. But you already knew that.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Ban doctors. Think of all the lives we will save!

THIS!! We have WebMD and Google...what could go wrong??? (yes, purple implied)

On another note - the business decisions tied to healthcare are terrifying! Under-staffing or staffing with under-qualified clinicians would be a realistic setting to contribute to adverse events in healthcare. Local example, less than two weeks ago...Nursing home overnight staff member gives resident on hospice (with a DNR on file) a sleeping aide and later calls 911 when their patient cannot be woken...respiration normal, heart rate normal, but cannot be woken. It takes the paramedic on the truck to school the overnight clinical staff member...smh...1.) you gave your patient a drug to make them sleep and it's doing exactly what it's supposed to do 2.) the patient is on hospice, if they are taken away in the ambulance they will no longer be on hospice. 3.) The patient and/or family have a DNR order in place, remind them again WHY the call to 911??? More training, more requirement for appropriate license to match the degree of knowledge needed to safely complete the tasks expected of them...and then don't flinch when the cost skyrockets again... :(

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

On another note - the business decisions tied to healthcare are terrifying! Under-staffing or staffing with under-qualified clinicians would be a realistic setting to contribute to adverse events in healthcare. Local example, less than two weeks ago...Nursing home overnight staff member gives resident on hospice (with a DNR on file) a sleeping aide and later calls 911 when their patient cannot be woken...respiration normal, heart rate normal, but cannot be woken. It takes the paramedic on the truck to school the overnight clinical staff member...smh...1.) you gave your patient a drug to make them sleep and it's doing exactly what it's supposed to do 2.) the patient is on hospice, if they are taken away in the ambulance they will no longer be on hospice. 3.) The patient and/or family have a DNR order in place, remind them again WHY the call to 911??? More training, more requirement for appropriate license to match the degree of knowledge needed to safely complete the tasks expected of them...and then don't flinch when the cost skyrockets again... :(

But WebMD said more sore toe could be cancer. Not to mention every other ailment I have could be cancer in WebMD.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    1. You know you're not right, right?

2. I was really trying hard to not tilt the spin on this thread, but there you go.

Hey, it works for the antis who want to ban guns, so why not doctors? (yet another no purple because its too obvious)

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    But WebMD said more sore toe could be cancer. Not to mention every other ailment I have could be cancer in WebMD.

We are all just lucky to be alive, I googled it and it's a complete Miracle! My cold after Thanksgiving turned out not to be the Ebola after all, and cleared up in a few days thanks to some Chicken Soup. Whew, dodged a bullet there!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    We are all just lucky to be alive, I googled it and it's a complete Miracle! My cold after Thanksgiving turned out not to be the Ebola after all, and cleared up in a few days thanks to some Chicken Soup. Whew, dodged a bullet there!

But it WAS ebola... You just got the right antidote in time. That's all.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

From a personal perspective DNR's can be difficult to deal with and it practically takes a tattoo across the forehead to make sure everybody knows about them so they can honor them. My MIL died a couple of years ago at 92, when the final process started she was taken to a small local hospital that intubated her (possible first miss of the DNR) she was transported to the hospital I work at and coded as she was being moved from the ambulance to her room and they performed CPR on her and brought her back (2nd missed DNR). THEN the family feud started! After a day and a half the tube was removed and nature was allowed to take it's course. Part of the problem was that only a few of the 6 kids understood what a DNR was but they never shared the info with any of the medical staff seeing to her care.

Being at work I was the only family on the scene when she coded and I knew of it but had no authority nor was I going to be the one to try and push it. My (now) wife arrived with the paperwork shortly afterwards and that's when the family drama set in.

MAKE SURE EVERYONE KNOWS ABOUT THE DNR AND WHAT IT MEANS!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

Are you sure it wasn't SARS?

[video=youtube;VnNS4UxJsiw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnNS4UxJsiw[/video]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    From a personal perspective DNR's can be difficult to deal with and it practically takes a tattoo across the forehead to make sure everybody knows about them so they can honor them. My MIL died a couple of years ago at 92, when the final process started she was taken to a small local hospital that intubated her (possible first miss of the DNR) she was transported to the hospital I work at and coded as she was being moved from the ambulance to her room and they performed CPR on her and brought her back (2nd missed DNR). THEN the family feud started! After a day and a half the tube was removed and nature was allowed to take it's course. Part of the problem was that only a few of the 6 kids understood what a DNR was but they never shared the info with any of the medical staff seeing to her care.

Being at work I was the only family on the scene when she coded and I knew of it but had no authority nor was I going to be the one to try and push it. My (now) wife arrived with the paperwork shortly afterwards and that's when the family drama set in.

MAKE SURE EVERYONE KNOWS ABOUT THE DNR AND WHAT IT MEANS!

Went through this same **** with my Mother. She had a signed witnessed DNR in place. WE all knew it. We all knew why. Her health was over the edge and she was aware her time was very short. When she failed my father ignored her wishes as she knew he would. She told me to champion her wishes the best I could but once the idiot had here on full support the family circled the wagons. Even when the staff informed them more than once she was done. I stood for her alone and was treated terribly for it. They all showed what complete selfish asses they really were. After 3 days the staff finally told them it was over. They stood back and we watched her pass just a few minutes after all the probes and tubes were removed.

Top Bottom