• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    My wife came in from the garage a little bit ago and said something smelled funny. I went out and noticed a faint propane smell. I opened the garage door and shut off the furnace. After 15 minutes the propane smell was gone. I turned the furnace back on and let it run. No noticeable smell while it is running however after it shuts off there is definitely a gas odor. Open the garage door again to let it air out and no noticeable odor while the furnace is off.

The furnace is a Bryant model 340MAV036080AJKA, 92% efficiency and is about 14 years old.

Any ideas on things to check before I call a HVAC tech tomorrow? Could it possibly be a cracked heat exchanger?

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1st check the line and all the connections. If it were the Heat-X you would most likely get an odor while running.
    Do you have a CO detector. Like a smoke/CO combo...??? If so put it out in the area. It will or should alert you if there is an issue with the unit. Is there a shut off/isolation valve on the line to that unit.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    I closed the gas valve that feeds the furnace, and have put it on shut down until I have someone that can come check it out.

There is a possibility that there is a slight odor when running, but definitely more noticeable after it kicks off. I will update once I get someone out to look at it.

Will resort to the gas log fireplace and space heaters until fixed. Not something I want to risk with 4 kids in the house.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    Update....
    We had the gas grill out the other night since my brother and his family were over. My wife moved the grill back over to the side of the garage and pulled the car back in. Needless to say the tank did not get turned off and when the cover got put back on one of the burner valves got cracked open.

Best situation that I could have asked for being a weekend/holiday. So I will proudly accept that I am an idiot.

Needless to say being 14 years old it could go at any time and I am just waiting. Hopefully it lasts a little longer as I need to figure out what I want to do when it does go out (Geo-thermal, heat pump with propane backup, or just propane)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Update....
    We had the gas grill out the other night since my brother and his family were over. My wife moved the grill back over to the side of the garage and pulled the car back in. Needless to say the tank did not get turned off and when the cover got put back on one of the burner valves got cracked open.

Best situation that I could have asked for being a weekend/holiday. So I will proudly accept that I am an idiot.

Needless to say being 14 years old it could go at any time and I am just waiting. Hopefully it lasts a little longer as I need to figure out what I want to do when it does go out (Geo-thermal, heat pump with propane backup, or just propane)

At 14 years it should be good to go if it is set up properly on Propane.
    Look at a 92%/95% propane furnace from a good manf. Have it installed by a competent company/individual and never look back.

And yes, this is a good outcome.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    Look at a 92%/95% propane furnace from a good manf. Have it installed by a competent company/individual and never look back.

Thanks, I appreciate your wisdom on these topics.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

I have a 92+% Rheem that is 19 years old. It has gave me Zero issues Except a blower motor 5-6 years ago. A buddy of mine (who is now retired) had a HVAC business. I got it from him. It was a damaged in shipment. It did not bother be that it had a small ding and a couple scratches. I keep thinking something should die any time. I got a bunch of spare parts, inducer motor, 3 spare boards and a complete blower assembly. I am probably on borrowed time with it. But she still keeping the place warm in winter and Cool in summer. I would think a good unit should last at least 20 years.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    Glad to hear I may get several more years out of this one. Going to bump up the savings for repairs in 2019 to be as prepared as I can. With my luck everything will go back to back when it does go (Furnace, Well Pump, Roof, Fridge, Dishwasher, Washer and Dryer).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Glad to hear I may get several more years out of this one. Going to bump up the savings for repairs in 2019 to be as prepared as I can. With my luck everything will go back to back when it does go (Furnace, Well Pump, Roof, Fridge, Dishwasher, Washer and Dryer).

Just keep it clean. Is it an 80% unit...???
    The main deal on propane is the burners are set up properly. Keep the blower wheel clean and filter changed out. Beyond that there is little else you can do.
    The natural gas unit I just pulled out of my house was 22 years old and still doing the job. And I will admit to doing nothing paste filter changes and general tune up issues when they came up. The blower was slowing down noticeably. It was time.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Just keep it clean. Is it an 80% unit...???
    The main deal on propane is the burners are set up properly. Keep the blower wheel clean and filter changed out. Beyond that there is little else you can do.
    The natural gas unit I just pulled out of my house was 22 years old and still doing the job. And I will admit to doing nothing paste filter changes and general tune up issues when they came up. The blower was slowing down noticeably. It was time.

Mine gas furnace was 20+ years old and working fine when the gas valve started leaking. Valve was stupid expensive so I just put in a new furnace for not much more.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tatdale2
    Top Bottom