• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    I heard a guy on the radio the other day say "I love my children with all of my heart and I would do anything for them. With that said, I hate being a parent."

I can completely agree with that sentiment on the weekends that my wife works Saturday and Sunday 7-7 while I am at home all day with a 4 year old and a 2.5 year old.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Seriously? But, Seriously? Then put the kids up for adoption. I can't believe anyone with kids would agree with that sentiment. Outrageous... My 2 cents after raising two boys through to college and to manhood and to them being on their own in the world and successful.

Last edited:

Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    Seriously? But, Seriously? Then put the kids up for adoption. I can't believe anyone with kids would agree with that sentiment. Outrageous... My 2 cents after raising two boys through to college and to manhood and to them being on their own in the world and successful.

You and I are looking at this from a completely different perspective.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I heard a guy on the radio the other day say "I love my children with all of my heart and I would do anything for them. With that said, I hate being a parent."

I can completely agree with that sentiment on the weekends that my wife works Saturday and Sunday 7-7 while I am at home all day with a 4 year old and a 2.5 year old.

Hang in there it gets better, not necessarily easier but better. Yours are still young enough that your interactions with them are largely pretty basic. Once they get older, form solid vocabularies and personalities they can be quite a joy (sometimes lol). My daughter was a nightmare for the first 12 years of her life. Fiercely independent, stubborn and mischievous, much worse than the sons my wife and I each had from a prior marriage. When she hit 12.5 it was like someone flipped a light switch. I've always loved her but rarely really enjoyed spending time with her. She's 13.5 now and to be honest I'd be ok if she never moved out (assuming nothing changes).

That said, I'm not what most would consider a good parent these days. For some reason though, we repeatedly hear from the parents of my daughter's friends how much they like it when our daughter comes and spends time with their kids because she's a good influence. Figure we must've done something right.

Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    Hang in there it gets better, not necessarily easier but better. Yours are still young enough that your interactions with them are largely pretty basic. Once they get older, form solid vocabularies and personalities they can be quite a joy (sometimes lol). My daughter was a nightmare for the first 12 years of her life. Fiercely independent, stubborn and mischievous, much worse than the sons my wife and I each had from a prior marriage. When she hit 12.5 it was like someone flipped a light switch. I've always loved her but rarely really enjoyed spending time with her. She's 13.5 now and to be honest I'd be ok if she never moved out (assuming nothing changes).

That said, I'm not what most would consider a good parent these days. For some reason though, we repeatedly hear from the parents of my daughter's friends how much they like it when our daughter comes and spends time with their kids because she's a good influence. Figure we must've done something right.

Our 4 year old is the most lovable child you could ever imagine. She is beautiful, incredibly intelligent, loves being a big sister and is extremely sensitive to others. She is also the most frustrating thing on Earth when trying to get her to eat. She will eat 3 bites of something of her choosing and when you push her to eat more she will make herself gag. She will then say she is hungry 30 minutes later.

The 2.5 year old is the funniest thing in the world. She loves being the center of attention but is fiercely independent. She also has a temper to match her red hair. One day I told her repeatedly to come to me because I wanted to talk to her. After having her tell me no 3 times I swatted her on the butt. She stared at me for about 5 seconds and then picked her baby doll up and smacked it in the face.

Then there is the screaming and the fighting all day long over toys that they couldn't care less about until the other one starts playing with it. That might be the one thing that sends me over the edge faster than anything else.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Our 4 year old is the most lovable child you could ever imagine. She is beautiful, incredibly intelligent, loves being a big sister and is extremely sensitive to others. She is also the most frustrating thing on Earth when trying to get her to eat. She will eat 3 bites of something of her choosing and when you push her to eat more she will make herself gag. She will then say she is hungry 30 minutes later.

The 2.5 year old is the funniest thing in the world. She loves being the center of attention but is fiercely independent. She also has a temper to match her red hair. One day I told her repeatedly to come to me because I wanted to talk to her. After having her tell me no 3 times I swatted her on the butt. She stared at me for about 5 seconds and then picked her baby doll up and smacked it in the face.

Then there is the screaming and the fighting all day long over toys that they couldn't care less about until the other one starts playing with it. That might be the one thing that sends me over the edge faster than anything else.

Let the four year old cry herself to sleep when she didnt eat meals with everyone else and shortly after says she is hungry. Remember this, you are a parent and not a friend.
    Tell the little one only once to come here, if she doesn't respond to you get up and put her in time out. They both know exactly how you and your wife are going to respond..
    All of the bad behavior is learned behavior, and your wife and yourself allowed it to happen.
    Being a good parent isnt fun, your children can be your friend later in life.
    And never underestimate your children, they will rise to the level that you set the bar.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I've been blessed. My 12 y/o daughter is wonderful, and to hear this from the parents of her friends at a game in passing makes me smile, maybe somewhere I did something right. I love being parent and disagree with the statement in the OP. I always had weekend duty with my daughter as the wife usually picked up some weird shifts at work.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton

I take it your wife is a nurse?

I have been there and agree it is tough especially with the ages of your kids. We only had one when my wife was working, but working full time M-F and then being full time daddy every weekend makes it hard to get anything else done especially if you do not have family around that can help.

My wife became a stay at home mom after our second and now have four (6,4,2 and 5 months). I love being a dad, but it is a challenge, especially with the 2 year old. He is a daddy’s boy, gets into everything, very strong willed. He is also very sweet, cuddly and has a smile and laugh that can melt my heart no matter what the situation is.

I will leave you with some advice that has helped my wife and I.

1. Limit TV time. My kids would watch TV through the day and they would have so much built up energy that they would get what we call fuzzy brain. We have since gone “Amish” and have gotten rid of the TV. It was difficult at first but the kids find plenty of creative things that occupy their time and brain. The older two have honestly said they don’t miss it and don’t want a TV when grandpa offered to bring them one.

2. Accept that you won’t be able to get to everything and the house will likely be a mess on the weekends. You are essentially in survival mode. As long as the kids are fed and everyone is alive, you are winning! With that being said work with your wife to tackle things during the week when you get home from work or after the kids are in bed.

3. Try to have easy to prepare meals or Meals already planned for the weekends. I am sure it seems like you are always preparing lunch, dinner and getting the “daddy I need a snack”. This is the most difficult thing for me, but my wife does a much better job at it.

4. Try to find activities you can all do together. Color, roll a ball back and forth, play in the back yard, go to a park, build with blocks, put on Clean Up songs on YouTube (surprisingly my kids actually help pick up when they listen to these).

5. Church with Sunday School for the kids is an awesome way to break up Sunday mornings. It can be hard to get everyone ready and out the door, but once you get in the groove it is rewarding for everyone.

6. Relax and enjoy the one on one time that you have with them. It is hard in the moment, but looking back it is only short moment that you have to teach and influence them.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I take it your wife is a nurse?

I have been there and agree it is tough especially with the ages of your kids. We only had one when my wife was working, but working full time M-F and then being full time daddy every weekend makes it hard to get anything else done especially if you do not have family around that can help.

My wife became a stay at home mom after our second and now have four (6,4,2 and 5 months). I love being a dad, but it is a challenge, especially with the 2 year old. He is a daddy’s boy, gets into everything, very strong willed. He is also very sweet, cuddly and has a smile and laugh that can melt my heart no matter what the situation is.

I will leave you with some advice that has helped my wife and I.

1. Limit TV time. My kids would watch TV through the day and they would have so much built up energy that they would get what we call fuzzy brain. We have since gone “Amish” and have gotten rid of the TV. It was difficult at first but the kids find plenty of creative things that occupy their time and brain. The older two have honestly said they don’t miss it and don’t want a TV when grandpa offered to bring them one.

2. Accept that you won’t be able to get to everything and the house will likely be a mess on the weekends. You are essentially in survival mode. As long as the kids are fed and everyone is alive, you are winning! With that being said work with your wife to tackle things during the week when you get home from work or after the kids are in bed.

3. Try to have easy to prepare meals or Meals already planned for the weekends. I am sure it seems like you are always preparing lunch, dinner and getting the “daddy I need a snack”. This is the most difficult thing for me, but my wife does a much better job at it.

4. Try to find activities you can all do together. Color, roll a ball back and forth, play in the back yard, go to a park, build with blocks, put on Clean Up songs on YouTube (surprisingly my kids actually help pick up when they listen to these).

5. Church with Sunday School for the kids is an awesome way to break up Sunday mornings. It can be hard to get everyone ready and out the door, but once you get in the groove it is rewarding for everyone.

6. Relax and enjoy the one on one time that you have with them. It is hard in the moment, but looking back it is only short moment that you have to teach and influence them.
    Great advice!
    especially “limit tv”!
    teach them. Let them learn. They say we learn more by the time we’re 5 years old than we do the rest of our lives.
    Read. Read. Read! Read to your kids and they will become good readers.
    Let them use their imagination. They will amaze you!
    When they reach school age, keep them busy... Scouts, sports, clubs, other extracurricular activities.
    And something I tell all young parents... time is going to fly! Every year goes faster than the one before. Enjoy every minute you have with your kids (and spouse) while you can!
    last... love them! They will drive you crazy at times...many many times... but love them ALL the time!

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    Best parenting quote I ever saw was a plaque on my Uncles kitchen wall: " Grand kids are your reward for not killing your own kids". We now have two grand kids and this quote is even more relevant.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I’ve loved being a parent from the day my kids were born, it by far is the greatest thing i’ve ever done.

This.
    Raised 3 daughters, a bit of the time alone. Wife died from cancer when they were in HS. Got them through college. Remarried and have a son now, 6' 4" 300 lbs of him.

Took everything I had and then some. They were all home over Christmas with husbands and grand kids

Have a Chemical Engineer from Rose Hulman, Senior Programmer for a large insurance company, RN at a Major ICU unit, 2 Lilly Scholars.

I am an old forklift mechanic. It is awesome, could not ask for better-except maybe more grandkids....

Don

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Being a parent is hard. I don't recommend it.

Also the most rewarding thing I've ever done (and am still doing).

Things really changed when my kiddo started being self-sufficient. At about 6 or so, she really could do anything she REALLY needed all on her own. Rather than mom or I needing to be involved in EVERY SINGLE task, she just, well, does it. Now, it is kinda fun. We can work or play together.

Lots of advice in this thread. Good and bad. My only :twocents:.... Decide what is important to you and you family, and do that. Don't take the easy route. Put on the adult pants, and be the adult. Someone has to. It will rarely be easy, and sometimes no fun at all, but likely the most rewarding thing you will ever experience.... eventually. :D

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix

My wife did that shift for over 8 years. I was so scared when the third kid came along. I understand completely where you are coming from. If your wife was like mine, yeah her shift was 7-7, but it was more like 530-9. Most nights she’d come home eat a bowl of cereal and crash out. I have the upmost respect for stay at home parents, man or woman.

It doesn’t make you a bad dad because your kids frustrate you sometimes. It will get better.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus

All of that is normal for all kids. My daughter just turned 6 and the food thing comes and goes. She's gone to bed without anything else to eat more than a few times. Mom has a lot harder time with it than I do. Spankings stopped at about 2.5 years old when one day we spanked her then she laughed and smacked herself on the butt. didn't have to till she got to pre-k and had some issues keeping her hands to herself. Hardest part is when she wants to, she's almost as pigheaded and sometimes even more non-nonchalant and stone-faced about stuff than me due to youthful short attention span.

If I had more than one in the house and they fought over a toy, they'd get a lesson in sharing and after another 10 seconds of argument the toy would be gone.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The key to parenting young children is that your life revolves around their needs, but you can't let them know it.

Yes, young children can be a pain at times. No doubt....I'm quite glad that mine are between 21 and 13- more expensive, but they can handle a bathroom on their own. However, I never hated being a parent- I hated certain aspects of what being a parent required. Then again, I was only primary caretaker of my oldest son for his first year.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom