• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    We have an older vehicle that has now blown a head gasket. The engine has been previously rebuilt and the overall condition of the vehicle simply doesn't justify (to us, and from a trusted mechanic) getting it fixed again. It still runs, but spews oily smoke and overheats quickly. It has a slightly twisted chassis due to a previous accident, which is likely also the cause of the engine issues. 2003 Olds Silhouette Van, roughly 100,000 miles.

What is the best way to dispose of it? Would anyone be interested in buying it in this condition as a project, or is it only good for a junkyard? What could I realistically expect to get in return for it? I've never previously sold a vehicle that wasn't still usable as is.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Sounds to me like its time for the boneyard. Not sure on scrap prices but probably looking at $200-300 for it. If you have a yard close enough that you can drive it there you may get a little more since they wont have to tow it.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Around here there's a place called Adams junkers. they come to your house with cash and tow it away. all's you need is a signed title. We've used them a couple of times, I think we got about $200 per vehicle

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I've heard scrap is so low that you don't get much for an intact vehicle. To be crushed, the scrapper still must drain all fluids, remove gas tank, remove battery, etc.

Be happy if they tow it off and don't hand you a small bill.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    just got $450 for the hubbies VW that was going to cost more to fix than it was worth from Pick A Part, and they came to pick it up since it didn't run.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    just got $450 for the hubbies VW that was going to cost more to fix than it was worth from Pick A Part, and they came to pick it up since it didn't run.

I believe it is the vehicle. If it is sought after parts wise you will get more for it. I could be wrong but that used to be a factor.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    [video=youtube_share;O8-azG3Iokk]http://youtu.be/O8-azG3Iokk[/video]

Take 2 steps back and one to the left. Classic

I wonder how many of these videos are out there? I've seen several near misses like this one and in "some" of the cases, like this one, I'm astounded the shooter didn't shoot from a protected position. In others I've decided that it's true, God does watch out for fools. I know there was a video a year or so back where they blew up a refrigerator and a woman ended up losing a leg AND suing the shooter even though it was a party with her all over the shooting line egging on the shooter.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I've got a school bus I need to get rid of, no title though.

JB's in Bloomington won't take it whole or any other ones around here.....i have one too that needs to go...:(

[video=youtube;rnEfYHRW0Nw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnEfYHRW0Nw[/video]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    JB's in Bloomington won't take it whole or any other ones around here.....i have one too that needs to go...:(

[video=youtube;rnEfYHRW0Nw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnEfYHRW0Nw[/video]

If the yard is just parts salvage they might be full. If they also scrap that is a plus.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I was at a auto junkyard last week in Newton County and they were going full speed crushing cars, paid me 160 per ton for my scrap

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Yeah, I have a friend who has a bunch of old scrap cars on his property and I've been trying to get him to get rid of them for spaces sake but he says he doesn't have any titles and none of them run or can be towed and I really don't know how or why he has them.
    I think a few were his and quit running and he misplaced the titles, he's 80 some years old and he's got maybe a dozen of them just sitting around on the property and when or if he ever mows the grass he just mows around them. What to do???????

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yeah, I have a friend who has a bunch of old scrap cars on his property and I've been trying to get him to get rid of them for spaces sake but he says he doesn't have any titles and none of them run or can be towed and I really don't know how or why he has them.
    I think a few were his and quit running and he misplaced the titles, he's 80 some years old and he's got maybe a dozen of them just sitting around on the property and when or if he ever mows the grass he just mows around them. What to do???????

Maybe not towed in a conventional manner, but I'm sure they could be moved and loaded onto a truck. Of course your friend might not want, or be able to go to that expense. Sounds like a tough situation.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI

Don't call but go to a few local scrap yards and discuss the situation with them. Go to ones that have their own crushers on site

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom