• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Clover can do a pretty god job of choking out weeds but you have to mow it a few times to get there. I can tell you by looking at my lawn that you don't need to till to grow clover lol.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I tried it without much success. The soil here isn't that good but a trip with the tractor tiller with some lime and fertilizer and it works pretty well. I do plant mixed birdseed right from Walmart with good success every year.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I tried white clover for the first time last year like Phylo is describing, will see how it makes it through this year.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I tried white clover for the first time last year like Phylo is describing, will see how it makes it through this year.

Well I spent yesterday covering an acre with waste hay and manure mixture it's about 8 inches deep. So I guess we will find out in the spring if it was a good call or not, it should have about 5 months to break down, from what I am reading you should be able to trans plant from containers directly into the hay.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I put the white clover in an area that had better soil as I pushed the brush back there. The only clear areas I had to start with were log yards where the soil had been scraped down to the marl.

What I need to get is a stump grinder.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I've had some success seeding my trails and small plots with this method. I mix red and white clover with some oats. Put it down. Put down lime and fert. Spray existing vegitation with gly. Wait a week. Then mow the slightly dead vegetation. It creates a layer of thatch that helps hold moisture for the seeds.

The oats grow first and fast. Clover, especially white, is slow to grow the first year. Year 2 it really takes off.

Mow the plot before any weeds or grasses put out a seed head. 2 to 3 times a year depending on rain.

Top Bottom