• doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just venting frustration about ATT Internet "in and out."

2 or more years ago I switched from Comcast to ATT b/c the price kept going up and ATT was $30/mo. cheaper.
    I had 50 speed with ATT at my old address with no issue up near Castleon.
    When I moved to Wanamaker I could only get a speed of 25, and I had all wireless instead of being hardwired in.
    Always had an issue with a TV going out or my Internet on my laptop, but not enough to make me go to the hassle of changing.
    Every am my bedroom TV and Living Room TV would not connect for a few minutes or when I went to bed and turned on my TV there.
    But, Internet worse of an issue.

I finally had ATT come out Monday, and the Tech replaced the small wireless TV box and put in an "extender" for my Internet which sits next to me in the living room.

It is worse last nighwent in and out on my laptop all evening.
    It would go from no connection or a speed of 1% to 20 (out of my 25) every minute.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    What are the other service provider options in your area?

If anyone else offers service that doesn't suck, I'd call ATT back and let them know that they need to fix your service so it actually works or you'll have to switch to someone else whose service doesn't cut in and out all the time. And don't let them try to convince you to go the directv satellite route--been there, done that. Signal was great so long as no major clouds or minor storms in the area, then it was a craps shoot.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Just venting frustration about ATT Internet "in and out."

2 or more years ago I switched from Comcast to ATT b/c the price kept going up and ATT was $30/mo. cheaper.
    I had 50 speed with ATT at my old address with no issue up near Castleon.
    When I moved to Wanamaker I could only get a speed of 25, and I had all wireless instead of being hardwired in.
    Always had an issue with a TV going out or my Internet on my laptop, but not enough to make me go to the hassle of changing.
    Every am my bedroom TV and Living Room TV would not connect for a few minutes or when I went to bed and turned on my TV there.
    But, Internet worse of an issue.

I finally had ATT come out Monday, and the Tech replaced the small wireless TV box and put in an "extender" for my Internet which sits next to me in the living room.

It is worse last nighwent in and out on my laptop all evening.
    It would go from no connection or a speed of 1% to 20 (out of my 25) every minute.

Sounds like he didn't try and diagnose your issue, but rather slapped on a few bandaids he thought might help. Obviously if the issue is on the incoming signal or with the modem, etc which would be in front of the TV box and the extender, neither of the things he did would help.

Just to be sure though, I assume other PCs act the same way/you have ruled out that the PC may have an issue?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've always gotten the best performance by using wired network connections for stationary devices, and wireless for just devices that need mobility in the house.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I've always gotten the best performance by using wired network connections for stationary devices, and wireless for just devices that need mobility in the house.

Fewer things are coming with wired ports now. :(

We have a nice 32" Roku TV in the bedroom and it does not have an RJ45 and every once in a while would drop out. We will see if it does it still does with the better wireless router.

I even saw some nice (>$600) HDTV's without antenna jacks or ethernet ports and some without even basic analog inputs or output RCA's. Taking "wire cutting" too far.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you want to try to help the AT&T tech's, you'll need to connect a computer to the wired ports of the AT&T equipment and test from there. Since the issue seems to be intermittent, it will be difficult to track down. If the wired computer doesn't have issues when the other equipment does then you know you have a wireless issue to solve. If it does then it's an AT&T problem to solve.

Wireless really does suck if you want to do a lot of video. Any way to hardwire some of your equipment?

Sounds like you recently moved to Wanamaker, have you tried NBO Pizza yet? I used AT&T Uverse at my old house for years with no issues in the same general area. I was behind the Franklin Township Library. New house has AT&T fiber, it too has been trouble free. I do use DirecTV for video though.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Fewer things are coming with wired ports now. :(

We have a nice 32" Roku TV in the bedroom and it does not have an RJ45 and every once in a while would drop out. We will see if it does it still does with the better wireless router.

I even saw some nice (>$600) HDTV's without antenna jacks or ethernet ports and some without even basic analog inputs or output RCA's. Taking "wire cutting" too far.

Wow that's crazy.

I have Comcast Business Class Internet and have had great service.

I just got a new Samsung Series 8 65" HDTV about 6 months ago, and thankfully it still has a screw in coax antenna jack and a wired network connection in addition to a WiFi connection.

HOWEVER I don't connect the TV itself to the Internet or even my OpenBSD based home built router/firewall and network with a remote "dumb" access point that has better range than an all in one off the shelf wireless router.

I just use it for DirecTv, over the air antenna, and as a big computer monitor for streaming through a computer I built that has a gaming card.
    I get great quality streaming and couldn't happier with my overall setup.

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    ATT sucks. Period. Have had them since they bought Cingular out and once the contract is up on my phone, I'm ditching everything I can of theirs.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    What are the other service provider options in your area?

If anyone else offers service that doesn't suck, I'd call ATT back and let them know that they need to fix your service so it actually works or you'll have to switch to someone else whose service doesn't cut in and out all the time. And don't let them try to convince you to go the directv satellite route--been there, done that. Signal was great so long as no major clouds or minor storms in the area, then it was a craps shoot.

Only Comcast.
    I would never go direct satellite route: I know they lie about how they have fixed the issues of storms and snow.
    They know I can switch and I've told them I talked to Comcast for an hour last week about switching.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I've had ATT fiber for about a year now and I think the wireless portion of their router box is the problem for me. Unless they're deliberately messing with streaming traffic, I would have issues with the TV that was less than 10' from the box. Once I plugged it in via ethernet the problems went away. Even with a repeater downstairs, my living room TV still has issues where it says there isn't enough bandwidth and the show will go to SD, or sit and buffer. That's with 1GB fiber and only two TV's streaming with nothing else on the network. I'm thinking of putting my NetGear router back on as the wireless for that worked much better.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Another ATT subscriber here. Had Spectrum before, but fired them when their services was COMPLETELY unreliable.

The ATT (25 Mb) connection is fairly stable. I need to reset the router about once a week, when the speed drops to sub-1Mb download. Usually when it has just rained. Their wireless is completely worthless. I set my tp-link access point back up and disabled theirs. Orders of magnitude better coverage and speed. Previously used their built-in and a range extender. Now both are powered down, and just the tp-link link is running.

I also have my work laptop on a wired connection. Other than the weekly speed/reboot issue, it buzzes along fine. We can pretty much saturate my 25 Mb connection with Skype video calls, moving files via OneDrive/Sharepoint, and all my other web-based work. Add in some streaming TV or podcasts with my wife, and it will finally slow down. Thinking about moving to 50 Mb.

Really wish someone would run fiber across to our 'hood. I think they have it just east of us, and I saw Endeavor pulling cable of some sort just west of us. I would spring for GB fiber in a heartbeat.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Another ATT subscriber here. Had Spectrum before, but fired them when their services was COMPLETELY unreliable.

The ATT (25 Mb) connection is fairly stable. I need to reset the router about once a week, when the speed drops to sub-1Mb download. Usually when it has just rained. Their wireless is completely worthless. I set my tp-link access point back up and disabled theirs. Orders of magnitude better coverage and speed. Previously used their built-in and a range extender. Now both are powered down, and just the tp-link link is running.

I also have my work laptop on a wired connection. Other than the weekly speed/reboot issue, it buzzes along fine. We can pretty much saturate my 25 Mb connection with Skype video calls, moving files via OneDrive/Sharepoint, and all my other web-based work. Add in some streaming TV or podcasts with my wife, and it will finally slow down. Thinking about moving to 50 Mb.

Really wish someone would run fiber across to our 'hood. I think they have it just east of us, and I saw Endeavor pulling cable of some sort just west of us. I would spring for GB fiber in a heartbeat.

Interesting. I had Brighthouse and then it got converted to Spectrum (I have service rated at 100 Mb). I have similar situation to yours (working from home several days a week with a lot of Skype for Business and Microsoft Teams calls, OneDrive, etc with a wife who is a TV watching machine, sometimes streaming (NetFlix, etc) though we do have DirecTV as the main TV provider. I do have my own router (Netgear) connected to the Spectrum supplied modem and connect my work laptop and most every other device is wireless (mobile phones, couple of Xbox consoles, etc), except a desktop that is wired.

My connection has been generally very stable, and speeds have been good enough for what we do. My NetGear router did make a big difference from my previous Linksys routers for coverage.

I have stayed cable for the entire time I have had broadband (I have also been DirecTV for TV the entire time and before even broadband internet was accessible), and not been interested in going AT&T (just with the recent takeover of DirecTV by AT&T there have not been any service changes, but the billing/payment stuff has been a bit jacked up). Fiber could change that at some point, but haven't had a compelling reason so far, except that cost has gone up since Spectrum took over.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Welcome to country living! There is more than one service that we pay the same bill as the city folks, yet receive half the quality.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Welcome to country living! There is more than one service that we pay the same bill as the city folks, yet receive half the quality.

1. It took ATT 25 yrs. to get in my neighborhood with a 50 speed when I live near Castleton, near LNHS @ 71st/Hague Road (1 mile east of Shadeland).
    2. I was mostly hardwired in so had no issue there, except I needed an Extender to get back to the bedrooms.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Only Comcast.
    I would never go direct satellite route: I know they lie about how they have fixed the issues of storms and snow.
    They know I can switch and I've told them I talked to Comcast for an hour last week about switching.
    I can count on one hand the number of times our satellite signal is lost per year. In addition, when it is lost, it's usually less than five minutes. Ours is also mounted on a pole so snow is easily taken care of though it rarely causes a problem. The mounting and alignment are the critical points. Once that's done it's pretty maintenance free. Still doesn't help your internet problem though.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
    I've had ATT fiber for about a year now and I think the wireless portion of their router box is the problem for me. Unless they're deliberately messing with streaming traffic, I would have issues with the TV that was less than 10' from the box. Once I plugged it in via ethernet the problems went away. Even with a repeater downstairs, my living room TV still has issues where it says there isn't enough bandwidth and the show will go to SD, or sit and buffer. That's with 1GB fiber and only two TV's streaming with nothing else on the network. I'm thinking of putting my NetGear router back on as the wireless for that worked much better.
    A wired connection will always be superior for real time networking. Your netgear router will likely have a better wireless setup especially if it has external antennas. You have a couple options, turn off all the routing functions of the AT&T device and let the netgear do everything, or put the netgear in access point mode and turn off wireless on the AT&T device. [/FONT]

Top Bottom