• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Greenwood
    https://www.wishtv.com/news/crime-w...officer-sees-him-fatally-shoot-dog/1687319475
    Some people cannot be civilized. Hunting pheasant with a rifle ? Scoped ? Likely story. More likely dinner

EDINBURGH, Ind. (WISH) -- Authorities in Johnson County arrested a man they say shot a dog right through its heart. It happened Sunday afternoon at Camp Atterbury.

The images authorities captured of the dead beagle are so troubling that News 8 blurred them.

"It was shot through the chest by a high-powered rifle," said Mike Delp, director of Johnson County Animal Control. He continued, "Apparently the heart itself was blown out of the animal's chest."

On Friday, Kang Zhuang faced animal torture charges. Investigators said he was hunting out of season. Zhuang allegedly told police that he meant to shoot a pheasant when he accidentally shot the dog. A DNR officer was nearby and allegedly witnessed the whole incident. The officer said there were no pheasants around at the time of the shooting.

When questioned, Zhuang also allegedly told officers the dog belonged to him. But authorities said the same dog had been spotted in the area the day before. The dog did not have tags or a microchip.

Delp said he hasn't seen an animal torture case in more than a year.

"Beagles are particularly friendly, good with kids typically, excitable. They like a lot of interaction with human beings," said Delp.

Delp believes the dog was around 6 months old, so possibly still a puppy. He is not sure why Zhuang allegedly shot the dog, but he said he wants the man to pay for his actions.

"It's rough. It's pretty heart-wrenching," said Delp.

The dog was taken to Purdue University, where a necropsy will be performed to determine if the dog is wild or domestic. The case has been handed over to the Johnson County Prosecutor's Office, which will make a final charging decision.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Wow. I don't hardly know what to say.
    I started hunting rabbits with my dad and brother when I was 9. Since I turned 11 we have had beagles that we hunt with. This story really kinda pi$$es me off. I really have a suspicion that this Kang Zhuang may have been up to no good. First, nobody hunts Pheasants with a high power rifle. Second, I believe they are out of season. Also, I beleive even if he would have been hunting deer isn't rifle season over? So I am struggling to buy the story that he was hunting. Perhaps if it were his dog, the dog chased a deer and he returned with a rifle intending to kill the dog. I have known hunters who had a dog run off on a deer and had to leave the dog overnight. After returning the next day finding the dog wandering aroumd near where they had been hunting the day before.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    One of these things is not like the other...

HOUND_Beagle-%2813inch%29.jpg
    rnph_500.jpg

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Torture this A$$ hole til he screams for mercy then torture him again!!! This lying sack of garbage should have the book, er, hammer dropped on him by a court of law. No plea bargains! Just total punishment to the full extent of the law!!!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Having never heard of wild beagles before I'm curious what sort of test they perform to determine it. They are a fairly small dog, yotes around here would have it for dinner rather quickly.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Having never heard of wild beagles before I'm curious what sort of test they perform to determine it. They are a fairly small dog, yotes around here would have it for dinner rather quickly.

My brother and I were staked out, trying to call coyote with the electronic caller, with a coyote howl playing. The neighbor's two beagle dogs (that they let roam free), came trotting briskly down the road towards home, looking around very nervously for the 'coyotes'. Few months later, they were down to one beagle dog. Never found the second one.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    There are legalities, and lying, possibly being inhumane with a kill (which would seem not to be the case here), and possibly killing someone's pet...

...but there's no inherent immorality in killing a dog any more than a coyote, rabbit or deer.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    There are legalities, and lying, possibly being inhumane with a kill (which would seem not to be the case here), and possibly killing someone's pet...

...but there's no inherent immorality in killing a dog any more than a coyote, rabbit or deer.

True. I am just curious if it was his dog, and why he was "hunting pheasant " with a "high power" rifle. Also, would the rifle caliber have been legal on public land for deer?

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I guess I don't see where this was animal torture in any real capacity. That's like saying hunters torture everything they kill. It was a shot in the heart, which any hunter would be happy to have made.

I understand the anger in him shooting a random dog for no apparent reason. It just doesn't seem like "torture" is the best word to describe it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Coming in here to say similar. I've known several people that have "put down" dogs for various reasons. Nothing akin to torture, by any stretch.

Blurring out the images in the media is just for shock value.

Lying about it does typically indicate something was "not kosher". If there was a good reason to put it down, just say it.

Top Bottom