• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Last winter I was able to take the mountain bike out back for 20-30 minutes each a.m. for morning exercise. This year not so much too wet,. muddy etc which has really slowed down my fitness efforts.

I wold like to get one of the following, Stair stepper, Vertical Climber, stationary bike. or Treadmill. I would like something that will provide good cardio, burn calories and be low impact.

I am thinking the treadmill might not be the best idea, as it really needs to be low impact. What do you think get the bang for the buck?
    Thanks

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Buy yourself a fluid trainer and get a slick/road tire to put on your wheel. Then ride your own bike on the trainer.

Relatively cheap solution other than the hastle of swapping the tire when you can get outside. Maybe $250+/-

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Strangely, the worse it is out, the more I want to go outside and work out in it. I don't mountain bike, though, a bunch of snow would put a stop to that for a while. I mostly just run and ruck with some push ups and sit ups.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Strangely, the worse it is out, the more I want to go outside and work out in it. I don't mountain bike, though, a bunch of snow would put a stop to that for a while. I mostly just run and ruck with some push ups and sit ups.

Normally mud is not an issue but I found with getting cold wet and having clean the bike up afterwards its really not worth it.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    If you're into biking, I know a couple of people that swear by the Peloton bike. It connects you to live spin classes all across the country or you can pick classes, courses and ride on demand.

https://www.onepeloton.com/bike

I've seen that they are also expanding the live classes to things like general fitness, weight training, and not just the cycling.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Buy yourself a fluid trainer and get a slick/road tire to put on your wheel. Then ride your own bike on the trainer.

Relatively cheap solution other than the hastle of swapping the tire when you can get outside. Maybe $250+/-

If you’re really into biking the rest of the year, then try this or a dedicated stationary bike. Peloton is probably high end/pricey but I e never seriously looked into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mensajess

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Greenwood
    Smart trainer to put your bike on, look at wahoo kickr, and use zwift. turns indoor training into a "game". 3d worlds to ride in, races, group ride events. does everything the peloton bike would do, but with your bike set up and fit

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've had a treadmill and liked it.
    I've had an elliptical and hated it. Something makes my hips hurt using that thing.
    I've used a stair stepper before and really liked that as well.

I've settled into using a recumbent bike now because it'll hold my tablet so I can be distracted by reading INGO or watching videos. Most of the previous pieces of equipment moved my head around too much to use the tablet.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Get a Concept 2 rowing machine. Best workout equipment I have ever used.

+1. they are a great full body workout and us cyclists' need that. Plus you can enter online rowing competitions/challenges to keep it fun. Non-high impact but really works the body well.

You will get stronger rowing. Most of the other pieces you might maintain if you don't die of boredom.:)

Top Bottom