• Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    a-10c-01-05-2018.jpg

Via Strategy Page

An A-10C Thunderbolt II aircraft, assigned to the 122nd Fighter Wing, Fort Wayne, Ind., maneuvers above a bombing range, Dec. 11, 2018, at Avon Park, Fla. Pilots with the 163rd Fighter Squadron tested their weapons capabilities at Avon Park Air Force Range located in central Florida. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Senior Airman Rita Foster)

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Didn't know we had some parked in Ft Wayne.

Guess that's why we get them up here so frequently for ND game flyovers.

They often loiter over our farm before games. Often low enough to see the pilot.:yesway:

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Yeah, we get low around the area.
    Had an IR decoy flare fall off one behind the house a couple of years ago.

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg
    You can see them in the Southeast every once in a while coming to and from the bombing range at Jefferson Proving Ground.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    An A10 is just about the coolest thing between here and the international space station. We see 'em now and then around Atterbury when we're playing golf at Timbergate east of Edinburgh. The sound that gun makes is unmistakable even from several miles away.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Of course the falling brass could probably give you a concussion.

IIRC (both me and the A-10 are older, and may affect my memory):

1. 30mm cases for the GAU 8 are aluminum, not brass, to save weight

2. Cases are routed back to the ammo drum, not ejected overboard. I suspect the reason for this is so they don't get ingested by the engines (or damage other parts of the plane).

ETA: You can buy a fired 30mm GAU-8 aluminum alloy case on Gunbroker, lol. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/796142497

Last edited:

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I had a unique experience in sebring florida, was fishing on kissimmi river with wifes cousin,they live down there, when I looked down river and saw a black boat coming down towards us , turned to tell cousin about boat and when I turned back around a attack jet was brushing our hair, scaird the **** out of us, plane went down about a very short distance and went straight up and turned , then went back down towards ground and let all hell break loose,it was AMAZING and UNREAL.Another jet was running tree top level about 1/4 mile out, we could see it, but not hear it, it left THEN we heard it.It did some kind of attack with missles.Ron said we were running along side a bombing target site, and planes came from northern florida.A DAY I WONT FORGET.Feel really sorry whoever goes against something like that.BUT IT WAS AWESOME.

Top Bottom