How do I get wireless internet in my barn.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Cut me some slack already, I'm fairly anti-technology as it continues to enslave us but I do see the practical side of some of it. I have a wireless thingamajig in the house that provides internet access to various items and even gives some signal outside but my shop is approximately 200' away as the internet wireless flies inside a metal pole barn structure.

I'm assuming that a hardwired connection to the thingamajig in the house is required to some type of thingamajig in the barn to provide a boosted signal so I don't have to go to the house each time I wish to look up a reference, have XM radio, etc. Can somebody replace thingamajig with the appropriate descriptor and how it will connect and provide wireless inside the shop?

Thanks!

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Cut me some slack already, I'm fairly anti-technology as it continues to enslave us but I do see the practical side of some of it. I have a wireless thingamajig in the house that provides internet access to various items and even gives some signal outside but my shop is approximately 200' away as the internet wireless flies inside a metal pole barn structure.

I'm assuming that a hardwired connection to the thingamajig in the house is required to some type of thingamajig in the barn to provide a boosted signal so I don't have to go to the house each time I wish to look up a reference, have XM radio, etc. Can somebody replace thingamajig with the appropriate descriptor and how it will connect and provide wireless inside the shop?

Thanks!
    Your not likely to get Wireless in your barn if your barn is more than 20 feet away from your house... especially if there is metal construction.. now this is all just estimated... a lot of factor can make or break if it's possible or reliable enough if possible... good news is if your barn is on the same circuit breaker box as your home you can get a couple of these devices ($20-30 ea and they work really well) called ethernet over power adapters. How the work is, they are little devices that plug into a power outlet and they have a ethernet port on them. You would get 2 of them, one to plug in by your router and run a ethernet cable from it to your router and the 2nd one, plug into power outlet in the barn and either connect it directly via ethernet to your PC or another wireless router. Next option would be a conduit with cat5 going from router in the house to the barn.. I have over 30 years in the fields of telephony and data networks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm not too technical either...

But you're gonna want a WiFi extender (Preferably something that you can "aim", if possible) on the inside of your house closest to the barn, and then a WiFi receiver/repeater thingy on the inside of your barn.

Depending on the extender you use on the inside, you may not need anything in the barn.

I'd think 200' is gonna be hard to do, however.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    TangoFoxtrot;7787947/ said:
    ...good news is if your barn is on the same circuit breaker box as your home you can get a couple of these devices ($20-30 ea and they work really well) called ethernet over power adapters. How the work is, they are little devices that plug into a power outlet and they have a ethernet port on them. You would get 2 of them, one to plug in by your router and run a ethernet cable from it to your router and the 2nd one, plug into power outlet in the barn and either connect it directly via ethernet to your PC or another wireless router....

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powe...&pf_rd_p=2600d454-8d00-5310-8190-548da6252157

I agree with Tango, been using a prior model of this for 18 mo., slickest easiest solution out there.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you have line of sight from the house to the barn, I can hook you up. I have a spare pair of point to point wireless bridges that are already configured. Hang them, point them at each other and hook them up. You'd just need a wireless access point in the barn for your devices to talk to. I might have one of those spare too. But I'd have to check. PM me if you are interested.

EDIT: assuming the powerline units dont work for you. Those are easiest but dont always play nice with crossing phases, sub panels, etc

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The plug into the wall thingy's seem to be the easiest way but unfortunately the house and shop are on separate meters. Let me research the ptp thingys and if we survive the blizzard I'll drop you a line CM.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sounds good. Mine are already configured. Just need to hang them. As long as you have line of sight they'll work. I can preconfigure the wireless in the barn for you as well.

LazyAce

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2016
    Indianapolis
    This is what I was going to suggest. A point to point bridge is definitely your best bet. Hook from your router in your home, to another wireless bridge/router in your barn. A Ubiquiti Point to Point has sick range, we're talking 10km+ on some models, strong connection at half mile distances with line of sight.

If you have line of sight from the house to the barn, I can hook you up. I have a spare pair of point to point wireless bridges that are already configured. Hang them, point them at each other and hook them up. You'd just need a wireless access point in the barn for your devices to talk to. I might have one of those spare too. But I'd have to check. PM me if you are interested.

EDIT: assuming the powerline units dont work for you. Those are easiest but dont always play nice with crossing phases, sub panels, etc

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    My dad had the same problem. He ended up just running some cat6 line from the house to the barn. He used a lawn edger and baried it. Then put a router in the barn. Not the quickest but probably the most robust.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My dad had the same problem. He ended up just running some cat6 line from the house to the barn. He used a lawn edger and baried it. Then put a router in the barn. Not the quickest but probably the most robust.

Direct burial gel filled cat6 is best. But far from the easiest.

Top Bottom