• ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    First world problems, I know...

coming back from St Thomas our flight was to leave at 1:08 and get into Philly. One hour layover and then land in Indy at 8:15p.

we got to the airport and found out we’re delayed 45 mins in STT and gonna be tight making our connection, but an 8pm flight to Indy exists so we’ll just try and take next flight if we don’t make it. Need to be home tomorrow.

30 mins after we checked in at ticket counter I get an email from AA that they declared us to have missed our connection and they rebooked us on a 3PM fight out of STT.... TOMORROW! Nope. Not gonna work.

i call airline since no one at the gate desk yet. They got us rebooked onto the 8p flight out of philly but told me to recheck at the gate for boarding pass since we were taken off the flight already. Ok... so I get new tickets and hear one flight to philly is stopping in Miami before heading to Philly to change crews and “let the engines warm up”. She told the guy since it’s cold in philly and icing they have to stop in Miami to change crews and let the engine warm up before flying back to a cold area. After leaving St Thomas :rofl:

anyway, I hope we’re getting home and without renting a car to drive straight through...

lesson: when leaving islands plan to get home a day early

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Update: looks like we get to stop in MIA for a crew change. Next flight is a 17 minute layover. Wonderful. It’s the last flight out. From Philly to Indy.

They say they cannot authorize me to get off the plane in MIA and get a diff flight home. I have to ask a crew member when we land to ask the gate agent if we can do that. Just ridiculous.

90% chance i’m Renting a car and driving home from Philly

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I can go on the website for AA and book two tickets from STT to MIA leaving at 4:27 or so but they are telling me at the gate that the flight is full. Wth

hoping for a quick turnaround in philly

i think i have a post around here somewhere about this same thing happening once before

Edit:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/238977-delta-airlines-1-a.html

Yep. Philly again. Sigh.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/336205-think-flights-will-come-indy-tomorrow.html

apparantly i complain a lot. Why hasn’t anyone told me that before :dunno: :):

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Hah, yeah... that’ll go over well

we are all boarded but a hatch didn’t shut right so a hinge was replaced and new “metal tape” had to be applied by a mechanic. That was 20 mins ago. Said he’d be here in 10.

I’m curious if this crew is going to time out before we fly. Time diff isn’t all that much between STT and MIA compared to PHL. And we’ve eaten up an hour of it sitting here

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    I have upset some of my relatives by refusing to fly commercial. Too old to put up with the BS. Told my SIL in TX to get a pilots license and buy a twin Beechcraft. He wasn't amused.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    Get use to it flying out of STT. We usually try and do mid morning flights anticipating delays or problems.

Also remember, everyone is on “island time.”

Safe travels home.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    First world problems, I know...

coming back from St Thomas our flight was to leave at 1:08 and get into Philly. One hour layover and then land in Indy at 8:15p.

we got to the airport and found out we’re delayed 45 mins in STT and gonna be tight making our connection, but an 8pm flight to Indy exists so we’ll just try and take next flight if we don’t make it. Need to be home tomorrow.

30 mins after we checked in at ticket counter I get an email from AA that they declared us to have missed our connection and they rebooked us on a 3PM fight out of STT.... TOMORROW! Nope. Not gonna work.

i call airline since no one at the gate desk yet. They got us rebooked onto the 8p flight out of philly but told me to recheck at the gate for boarding pass since we were taken off the flight already. Ok... so I get new tickets and hear one flight to philly is stopping in Miami before heading to Philly to change crews and “let the engines warm up”. She told the guy since it’s cold in philly and icing they have to stop in Miami to change crews and let the engine warm up before flying back to a cold area. After leaving St Thomas :rofl:

anyway, I hope we’re getting home and without renting a car to drive straight through...

lesson: when leaving islands plan to get home a day early

While working for United Airlines I spent most of my (solo) travel time flying jump seat in the cockpit. The flight crew was always happy to have a non-FAA rider sitting there and no matter how many times I've done it I enjoyed every opportunity. One trip from ORD to DEN we were discussing Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, etc as we crossed the Mississippi and the location of Hannibal MO entered the discussion.

The pilot and first officer started "discussing" whether it was upstream or downstream from our current location so one of them drug an atlas out of their flight bag and had it opened up across the console with one insisting "this way" and the other insisting "no, that way". About that time the stew enters the flight deck with our meals as the flight crew was doing their back and forth thing and the stew asked me if there was a problem. I told her that we were lost and they were trying to figure out where we were. They both stopped their "discussion" looked back towards us and then turned around and started consulting the atlas again.

At that point the stew looked a touch sickly and said "I better bring this back later". She must have heard the hysterical laughter that broke out after she left as we never did get our meal that day.:lmfao:

And yes, flying commercial does suck. I've started using the "we're going to get ****ed" approach to commercial flying so we're not hit with any surprises. On the trips that it doesn't happen it's a pleasant surprise. Unfortunately more often than not our expectations are met.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I can go on the website for AA and book two tickets from STT to MIA leaving at 4:27 or so but they are telling me at the gate that the flight is full. Wth

hoping for a quick turnaround in philly

i think i have a post around here somewhere about this same thing happening once before

Edit:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/238977-delta-airlines-1-a.html

Yep. Philly again. Sigh.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/336205-think-flights-will-come-indy-tomorrow.html

apparantly i complain a lot. Why hasn’t anyone told me that before :dunno: :):

Philly sucks, in more way than one. It seems like every connect I've had thru there has been a nightmare.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Hah, yeah... that’ll go over well

we are all boarded but a hatch didn’t shut right so a hinge was replaced and new “metal tape” had to be applied by a mechanic. That was 20 mins ago. Said he’d be here in 10.

I’m curious if this crew is going to time out before we fly. Time diff isn’t all that much between STT and MIA compared to PHL. And we’ve eaten up an hour of it sitting here

I believe the doors have to be shut for the clock to run.

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    1. Never go to, or connect thru, PHL.

2. If ya gotta be there, never take the last flight.

3. Delta ftw.

Sorry to hear about your travel problems, flying sucks bad enough as it is.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We were flying out of Aruba. Already through customs and sent to a holding room. Seems our connection was out of PHilly and something was screwed up. It took a day and a half to get home.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Been on the ground in MIA for 36 mins, still not at the gate. Ours doesn’t have a self-driving one and here we sit.

hoping for the flight from MIA to IN

Top Bottom