• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    My understanding of Indiana Code is that ATVs and UTVs (and golf carts too, I suppose) are not permitted to be operated on public roads.

That being said.......

What has been the experience of this group when operating your vehicle on a public road? Let's for this conversation assume you were operating in a safe manner and not impaired or distracted and following all rules like you were driving a car. Were you stopped and issued a citation when discovered by an Officer?

This question came to mind yesterday while tooling around my neighborhood in Marion county in my Gator. We live out in the fringe where there are still cornfields just outside one entrance and so even though it is geographically Indianapolis, it's practically rural. Now, out in my woods driving your atv/utv around is very common and I would guess the Deputys don't bother unless someone complains.

I was wondering if I ventured outside of edition would an IMPD Officer take the time to stop me.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My understanding of Indiana Code is that ATVs and UTVs (and golf carts too, I suppose) are not permitted to be operated on public roads.

That being said.......

What has been the experience of this group when operating your vehicle on a public road? Let's for this conversation assume you were operating in a safe manner and not impaired or distracted and following all rules like you were driving a car. Were you stopped and issued a citation when discovered by an Officer?

This question came to mind yesterday while tooling around my neighborhood in Marion county in my Gator. We live out in the fringe where there are still cornfields just outside one entrance and so even though it is geographically Indianapolis, it's practically rural. Now, out in my woods driving your atv/utv around is very common and I would guess the Deputys don't bother unless someone complains.

I was wondering if I ventured outside of edition would an IMPD Officer take the time to stop me.

We registered one in Fountain County which allows us to operate it legally on some roads (I'm not sure of the exact rules). I don't think any provisions exist within Marion County which allow for them but I could be wrong. It probably wouldn't be too much of an issue provided you weren't doing anything blatantly unsafe but you never know, there's always that one....

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Here in Greene County, we're able to ride on county roads after registering. It's cheap, and it's just a little sticker that goes on the side. Heck, our dealer (now closed after we'd done business with them for decades:() even processed the registration paperwork and registered the Mule for us as part of the deal, without us ever mentioning it. We're not allowed on state roads and local municipalities are either "golf cart friendly" or require their own registration to operate within city limits. I can go out and ride all day and it's probably the biggest perk of buying our Mule, but I'm dying for a LEGAL way to cross the great White River to access the west side of the county.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    We registered one in Fountain County which allows us to operate it legally on some roads (I'm not sure of the exact rules). I don't think any provisions exist within Marion County which allow for them but I could be wrong. It probably wouldn't be too much of an issue provided you weren't doing anything blatantly unsafe but you never know, there's always that one....

We registered ours in Marion county, more to cover our bases with the insurance company than anything else. I don't think any provisions exist within Marion County either but there is still miles of county road where you can often drive for 10 - 15 minutes at 30 mph & not come up on another car.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I guess the real question is: If I drove by VUPDblue while on, I don't know, Vandergriff Road, would he light me up?

Last edited:

Tburke798

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 27, 2018
    St.John
    I live in St. John and i've got neighbors who drive golf carts in the streets and side walks, I have seen ops drive down the street and not hassle anyone.....BUT they are always in the subdivision?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    [video=youtube;RNPxIibhcKY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=183&v=RNPxIibhcKY[/video]

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    [video=youtube;RNPxIibhcKY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=183&v=RNPxIibhcKY[/video]

You broke the rule set in the OP "Let's for this conversation assume you were operating in a safe manner and not impaired or distracted and following all rules like you were driving a car."

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    https://www.in.gov/dnr/outdoor/4431.htm
    or-offroads.jpg

Also, State Law now requires anyone under the age of 18 to have a helmet when on/in an ATV or Side-by-Side, unless being used for agriculture. That is on or off road, and even on private property.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    St Joe Co listed as NOT legal, but out in the rural hinterlands, we do it. I've never been given any grief, and don't know anyone who has. But everybody I know doing it are more agricultural riders than recreational.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    IC-14-16-1-23

An individual may not operate an ORV under any of these conditions:

• While under the influence of alcohol, a narcotic, or other drug
    • At a rate of speed greater than is reasonable or in a manner that endangers a person or property
    • At a speed exceeding five miles per hour on ice covering public waters when within 100 feet of an individual on foot or within 100 feet of a fishing shanty
    • Within 100 feet of a dwelling between midnight and 6 a.m., except on your own property or as a guest on another person’s property
    • Within 100 feet of a slide, ski, or skating area
    • Without a lighted headlight and taillight when operating between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise
    • Without a muffler in good working condition
    • In a forest nursery, planting area, or public land where growing plants or animals may be damaged
    • On any property without the consent of the landowner or tenant
    • On a railroad track or its right-of-way
    • In or on a flowing river, stream, or creek, except for the purpose of crossing by the shortest possible route
    • On or across a cemetery or burial ground
    • When carrying a bow with an arrow nocked
    • While transporting a firearm on or in the ORV unless the firearm is:
      • Unloaded and ...
      • Securely encased or equipped with and made inoperative by a manufactured keylocked trigger-housing mechanism
    Source: https://www.offroad-ed.com/in/handbook/laws.htm#restrictions

So does this last bullet point apply if you have an LTCH? If so, that's pretty s****y.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Source: https://www.offroad-ed.com/in/handbook/laws.htm#restrictions

So does this last bullet point apply if you have an LTCH? If so, that's pretty s****y.
    Need to cite the ENTIRE Code:
    https://codes.findlaw.com/in/title-14-natural-and-cultural-resources/in-code-sect-14-16-1-23.html

Sec. 23 . (a) An individual shall not operate a vehicle under any of the following conditions:(1) At a rate of speed greater than is reasonable and proper having due regard for existing conditions or in a manner that unnecessarily endangers the person or property of another.

(2) While:
    (A) under the influence of an alcoholic beverage;  or

(B) unlawfully under the influence of a narcotic or other habit forming or dangerous depressant or stimulant drug.

(3) During the hours from thirty (30) minutes after sunset to thirty (30) minutes before sunrise without displaying a lighted headlight and a lighted taillight.

(4) In a forest nursery, a planting area, or public land posted or reasonably identified as an area of forest or plant reproduction and when growing stock may be damaged.

(5) On the frozen surface of public waters within:
    (A) one hundred (100) feet of an individual not in or upon a vehicle;  or

(B) one hundred (100) feet of a fishing shanty or shelter;

except at a speed of not more than five (5) miles per hour.

(6) Unless the vehicle is equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and annoying smoke.

(7) Within one hundred (100) feet of a dwelling between midnight and 6:00 a.m., except on the individual's own property or property under the individual's control or as an invited guest.

(8) On any property without the consent of the landowner or tenant.

(9) While transporting on or in the vehicle a firearm, unless the firearm is:
    (A) unloaded;  and

(B) securely encased or equipped with and made inoperative by a manufactured keylocked trigger housing mechanism.

(10) On or across a cemetery or burial ground.

(11) Within one hundred (100) feet of a slide, ski, or skating area, except for the purpose of servicing the area.

(12) On a railroad track or railroad right-of-way, except railroad personnel in the performance of duties.

(13) In or upon a flowing river, stream, or creek, except for the purpose of crossing by the shortest possible route, unless the river, stream, or creek is of sufficient water depth to permit movement by flotation of the vehicle at all times.

(14) An individual shall not operate a vehicle while a bow is present in or on the vehicle if the nock of an arrow is in position on the string of the bow.

(b) Subsection (a)(9) does not apply to a person who is carrying a firearm:
    (1) if:
    (A) the firearm is a handgun;  and

(B) the person has been issued an unlimited handgun license to carry a handgun under IC 35-47-2;

(2) if:
    (A) the firearm is a handgun;  and

(B) the person is not required to possess a license to carry a handgun under IC 35-47-2-2 ;  or

(3) if the person carrying the firearm is operating the vehicle on property that the person:
    (A) owns;

(B) has a contractual interest in;

(C) otherwise legally possesses;  or

(D) has permission from a person described in clauses (A) through (C) to possess a firearm on.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It is my limited experience that most LEOs, especially in Indy, have better things to do if you are otherwise operating safely.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    St Joe Co listed as NOT legal, but out in the rural hinterlands, we do it. I've never been given any grief, and don't know anyone who has. But everybody I know doing it are more agricultural riders than recreational.

I know a CO in Brown County who has seen a few fatalities and way too many injuries who will write you in a heart beat.
    I also have a friend in IL who nearly lost a son to a car/ATV collision. Life flight pilot said it was the worst accident he'd seen any one live through.

I won't do it any more.

Top Bottom