Where were you when the Challenger blew up?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I was in a safety management class in college.

Ironic that they launched when it was outside the safety design specs. The cost for the one day delay was $3,000,000 and NASA had lots of press and VIP's they didn't want to let down.....

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Walking past the elementary school office. They had big windows across the front of it. There was a TV on a rolling cart visable and several of us students stopped to watch. I was in 3rd or 4th grade.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    At work, in an automobile assembly plant in Pontiac, MI. I heard about it from line workers that I had noticed were unusually quiet.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I was in 8th grade. Since there was going to be the first teacher going into space, they had a tv set up for us to watch the launch. Definitely won't forget it

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Sophomore in high school, walking down the hall- a class was watching the launch, I heard a ruckus, yelling, a lot of "OH NO!"...so I ran into the room to see what was going on.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Don't really remember what I was doing when the Challenger blew up but I had the opportunity to watch the Columbia take off on it's final flight. It was impressive even from 140 miles away! I was attending some vendor training in Sarasota and they took the class out to the parking lot at launch time and pointed in the appropriate direction and told us to just watch for a minute or two. Shortly after that a HUGE smoke plume appeared in the distance so we watched it until it abruptly stopped. My first thought was that it had exploded like the Challenger but that was just the point where it had reached a high enough altitude to turn away from us so it didn't appear to be climbing any more.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Fort McCoy, Wisconsin. Our unit was in a dayroom in one of the old WW II wooden barracks, watching TV, awaiting transportation to take us to Volk Field to fly back to Fort Campbell. TV was on in the dayroom, we were watching the launch.

Top Bottom