• ...and so much more!
  • SCAR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    FIXED! Help with garage door hinges FIXED

Post #10 for the solution I came up with.
    But I would still like to know what kind of hinges these are? And if regular #1 hindges can be used in case this doesn’t hold up!

Last night My wife backed out of the garage before the door completely lifted and caught the bottom panel with her antenna (hard shark fin type) and put a minor dent in the bottom panel. I didn’t notice but it also popped the rivits on a few of the hinges.
    I’ve checked locally and nobody has this type of hinge And I can not find any online (probably because I do not know what type to search).
    With a decent snow storm coming we really don’t want to park outside so is it possible to replace the damaged hinges with the standard universal type found at Home Depot?
    Here is a pic of the door (no name on it) and the hinge type. The bottom two panels center and right hinges rivits popped out of the door and it binds up opening and closing (it will open and close but I don’t want to damage the door)
    thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 8F430188-247C-4D39-AB04-0189B28CCD3E.jpg
      8F430188-247C-4D39-AB04-0189B28CCD3E.jpg
      67.7 KB · Views: 29
    • 09C779CD-E4B0-4F50-97AA-C2F5C54C4916.jpg
      09C779CD-E4B0-4F50-97AA-C2F5C54C4916.jpg
      42.3 KB · Views: 30
    • 3552F95D-2AFF-43B2-97A3-3C25A759FBCB.jpg
      3552F95D-2AFF-43B2-97A3-3C25A759FBCB.jpg
      48.2 KB · Views: 36
    Last edited:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Is your problem that the hinges no longer work as hinges, or is the problem that they are no longer attached to the door due to the popped rivets?

I think you need to ascertain that before buying new hinges. It seems to me that if the hinges still work then what you need is new rivets, or simply a few nuts and bolts.

SCAR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    Hindges still function but the rivits are popped out of the door. You can see I’m picture 3.
    I’ve considered drilling out the rivits and buying a rivits gun to try and reattach them to the door but the holes from the old rivits are kind of blown out from being ripped out,
    Another thought was to drill the rivits, use a dremal to cut a small hole in the door and attach the hindge with a nut and bolt but I think that would look horrible so that’s a last resort.
    If I can just replace all the center hindges (8 of them) with number 1 normal hindges I will do that today before this winter storm that’s coming.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You likely need some kind of backing plate on the outside of the door, then nuts and bolts that sit flush on the outside and can be trimmed to length on the inside. Thin lock nuts on the inside (trim the bolt length after you put it all together and tighten down). Looks like inside end of bolts only need to clear the panel above turning through a little more than 90 degrees, but measure your clearances on the other hinges

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    What about drilling out all the rivets and moving the bracket a couple inches and pop new rivets? Might be the easiest cheapest fix that doesn't ruin the outside looks.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Drill center out with rivet size drill bit, use existing holes. CAUTION, drill and rivet one at a time. Door is under tension.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    If the hinges are not bent/broken, I'd do either of the above. I'd likely just shift the hinge over a bit, drill new holes, and rivet. Saves you from knowing or caring what size rivet to buy. Just get ones that will work.

If you don't care what it looks like, you can use carriage bolts through the door. I've done that as well, on a door I knew I would be replacing eventually anyway. Works best on wood or solid-core doors. Fine on the hollow ones. Just don't crush them.

Let your wife help. :)

SCAR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    Update:
    I don’t know why I didn’t think of it before but I ran and rented a structural rivit gun (the biggest size rivits at Home Depot and menards were to small 3/16). Drilled out the old rivits and used structural rivits (1/4in).
    Problem solved for $38. Now to wait and see if it holds permanently!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    What about drilling out all the rivets and moving the bracket a couple inches and pop new rivets? Might be the easiest cheapest fix that doesn't ruin the outside looks.

Drill out the existing rivets. Move it over a few inches and rivet it back in place.

Drill center out with rivet size drill bit, use existing holes. CAUTION, drill and rivet one at a time. Door is under tension.

If the hinges are not bent/broken, I'd do either of the above. I'd likely just shift the hinge over a bit, drill new holes, and rivet. Saves you from knowing or caring what size rivet to buy. Just get ones that will work.

If you don't care what it looks like, you can use carriage bolts through the door. I've done that as well, on a door I knew I would be replacing eventually anyway. Works best on wood or solid-core doors. Fine on the hollow ones. Just don't crush them.

Let your wife help. :)

Update:
    I don’t know why I didn’t think of it before but I ran and rented a structural rivit gun (the biggest size rivits at Home Depot and menards were to small 3/16). Drilled out the old rivits and used structural rivits (1/4in).
    Problem solved for $38. Now to wait and see if it holds permanently!

Dammit! A question I could really answer and I was too late. Oh well, back to the Hot Chicks Fishing thread.:rockwoot:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Has anyone mentioned drilling the rivets out and moving the hinge over a couple of inches and reinstalling?

If not, that is the direction I would lean in.

Top Bottom