Recommended online learning resources for electrical work?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I usually go to Youtube to learn how to do things but I'm hoping there may be a better option this time. I've been trying for two months to get an electrician out to my place to do some much needed work. Apparently times are really good as I can't get one to call me back or show up. The most significant project I've wanted done was wiring my panel for a generator. I have a generator, the lights have flickered off and on several times today and we're scheduled for arctic temps this week. It may be stupid but I'm tired of waiting, if we lose power I can't afford to have all of my plumbing freeze up and have nowhere I can take three dogs, four cats and four people until things get worked out.

Does anyone know of a good online resource I could use to learn what and how I need to go about this? I know it requires the addition of a special breaker with a bracket that'll prevent the generator from pushing power back into the grid, I'm hoping I can buy one somewhere.

Any help?

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    You need a Transfer Switch, it isolates the panel so it's either fed by the power company or the generator. If you're not familiar with Advanced electrical stuff it's really not a do-it-yourself project.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Little Language...

Here's some NOT to learn from.
    [video=youtube;1gmv3PiiQJg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gmv3PiiQJg[/video]

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    The panel that Rookie linked to is one method, but you have to preselect which circuits you want to have powered when you are using the generator.
    Another option is to use a Mechanical Interlock Kit.
    https://www.menards.com/main/electr...166-c-6434.htm?tid=3540567871647787948&ipos=6
    These are brand specific for your brand and model of electrical panel. You install a 30 amp two pole breaker in the top position of the panel. This is wired to a power inlet box on the outside of the house by where you want to put the generator when needed.
    https://www.menards.com/main/electr...12-c-6436.htm?tid=-2360268944171082706&ipos=2
    When the power goes out, you turn off the main breaker which the interlock will then allow you to turn on the breaker connected to the power inlet. Plug the generator into the power inlet with the appropriate cord and your panel is energized by the generator. I usually recommend that the breakers you want powered during a power outage be marked with a gold star or paint dot. All others be turned off. Easy to turn one circuit off and another on as the need arises.
    Since most generators your size have a 30 amp output you will only need 10-3 w/ground (Orange) to connect the power inlet to the breaker.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If you're not familiar with Advanced electrical stuff it's really not a do-it-yourself project.

I get that, really I do but what are my options? I can't get an electrician out here to do the work and I can't afford to allow every pipe in my house to freeze and all of our pets to die because of it. I've had four recommendations so far. Three of the four never answered the phone and never returned a call. The fourth returned a call and hasn't been heard from since.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I really wouldn't recommend a project of that size for someone not trained. Real good way to die, or kill someone. Then the pipes freezing wouldn't mean that much.

You might be better off with propane or kerosene heaters.
    Or, electric heaters on extension cords. Just make sure the extension cords are the GOOD ONES. Not the cheapos.
    Long cords with heavy loads are a problem. You need bigger wire. Smaller numbers. 12 gauge is bigger than 14 gauge. 14 is bigger than 16.

Seriously, this is a dangerous job.

Myself, I have a ventless natural gas heater in the garage, because I have water pipes are out there. With power, the garage is usually okay.
    If it get's REAL cold, the pipes have heat trace wrapped, and insulation. The heat trace cuts in around the mid 30s.
    If there's a power outage, the heater can go on low, keep the garage in the mid to upper 30s.

I have a propane heater hooked up to a 20 pound bottle to keep the bathroom warm. I have 3 tanks. On one the heater. Then 2 spares.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    246663_dim.gif

This won't heat the whole house.
    But the bathroom will be toasty, and the bedrooms chilly, but liveable.

Oh, use a CO detector. No matter what.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    I will say that as an electrician, times are good. I have more work than I could possibly get to. Thanks to all those saying that trades are for losers, and that you have to get a college degree to be successfull. OP, sorry I'm not closer, I would be game for some side work. Also, this isn't work for non-pros. Seriously.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Phylo this won’t help you tonight, but I like vent free gas fireplaces. I have two in our home and I’ve installed a couple for others. They make log sets for natural gas or propane.
    they are easy to install, they’re far more efficient than any furnace or any direct vent or regular gas logs. Far more efficient than burning wood and way cleaner and easier.
    If the power goes out we have heat for as long as the gas lasts. And my wife likes it hot!

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    What actaeon277 and others have said... We have a 8kw backup until we get to a LP-Standby whole house genny. So... heavy duty cords to power necessities- fan on lp furnace, fridge, freezer, sump pump. Fireplace helps too.

Good luck, stay safe and warm.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, as has been mentioned we are seriously short of good solid tradesmen these days thanks to the big push for useless degrees.

That said the job you want done is not that big in reality. But as has also been mentioned with no prier experience it is not something you should take on.
    I have done a few of these hook ups for friends. Again, not that tough depending on degree of difficulty.
    Call the guy Bocefus listed. Bo is pretty straight up fella.

I believe you can buy a packaged kit with a lot of what you need at Menards and possibly other hardware stores. Heavy cords and some knowledge can get you through any situation. Tough to tap into the furnace with an extension cord but it can be done especially with some knowledge.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    To wire JUST the furnace, and NOT your house, I've done something like this video.
    TURN OFF POWER AND VERIFY.
    Disconnect power to furnace.
    Wire the power to a new outlet that you install.
    Then wire a pigtail to the furnace where the power used to go.
    Be sure to keep hot/neutral/ground correct.

Normal operation.
    The plug for the furnace is plugged into the outlet youmjust installed.

Emergency.
    You unplug the plug from the outlet.
    Plug it into an extension cord.
    Plug cord into running generator.

I also have the pigtail into a switch. That way when swapping the plug, the furnace isnt't trying to kick on while making the connection.

[video=youtube;DZ16PKs46g0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ16PKs46g0&app=desktop&persist_app=1[/video]

Top Bottom