• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Two years ago I had a new roof installed on my 30 year old single story ranch style house to include all new decking after a complete tear off. Last year I had 24”of blown insulation installed. Prior to the additional insulation being applied I had an area of the roof that exhibited places where frost and snow melted quickly - much more so than the rest of the roof. And that issue has only gotten more visible - approximately two feet wide extending from the soffit to the ridge line.

I recently called the contractor and, after a visual inspection of the attic, their rep informed me there has been/is severe moisture condensation on the underside of the decking. To such an extent, in the recent cold snap, icicles have formed from the soffit vent right below the affected area. The installer has now indicated they will come back and rework the ridge line ventilation, actually remove and replace two squares of decking and shingles that have been compromised in two short years, AND install a humidity controlled ventilating fan at their expense with the only cost to me being the electrical hookup.

This all sounds great, but I have a concern they are only treating the symptoms and not solving the problem. To my laymenÂ’s way of thinking, there must be a void in the attic insulation somewhere that is allowing warm air from the house to migrate up into the attic. The affected area is adjacent to the bathroom (two) ventilation ducts that were redone when the roof was done - but signs of the problem were evident before the roofing job.

I hoping there there may be a suggestion, or several, as to how to track down where the warm air is coming from that is causing the condensation.

Attachments

• 7ECAB710-DA31-4AC0-86F0-EC0CEA5916CB.jpg
      7ECAB710-DA31-4AC0-86F0-EC0CEA5916CB.jpg
      95.2 KB · Views: 69
    • 59D4509D-C0AC-46AA-8E3B-71503816D101.jpg
      59D4509D-C0AC-46AA-8E3B-71503816D101.jpg
      107.2 KB · Views: 71
    Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Do you have a vapor barrier under the insulation? Blown-in insulation doesn't do much to stop moisture migration. However, I agree that it is likely an opening to the space below. Check the likely moisture sources, the vents as mentioned above, but seal and and all gaps from heated space to unheated space. Recessed lights in the kitchen? Box them in.

UTL

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2015
    Central Indiana
    What does the inside of the attic look like? Is it cathedral or standard attic space? Condensation on the inside is usually the issue of either poor ventilation that will not allow the humidity to escape (compounded in the winter time when it goes below 10degrees out, everything in the attic will be frosted over) or a bathroom vent venting into the attic.

UTL

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2015
    Central Indiana
    Was it redecked because the decking was 1/4" plywood that was delaminating? That in its self should of been a red flag of a moisture issue. Your house is on the border line between the 1/4" plywood and 7'/16osb. Its also the time when they realized that they have to start venting bathrooms outside the attic space. Interesting time in construction.

DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    You also need to check your soffit vents. I'm wondering if they covered up your soffit vents when the insulation was installed. If you want a dry attic you need an airflow from your soffit vents to your roof vents. I had the same problem 25 years ago. I installed more soffit vents and a ridge vent. I also pulled insulation off of soffit vents that had been covered up. Problem solved.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    The insulator should have installed foam baffles between the rafters so the soffit can vent up the bottom of the roof sheathing. From the icicle something in the home is introducing a tremendous amount of moisture to the Attic, either the dryer vent or bath vent fan.

Top Bottom