• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Last night I finally made it to Hammond Cabelas to take a look at a p365. There seem to be 3 people working the gun counter. They all seem to be engaged in something and I am standing around in front of the counter for about 10 minutes before the clown show began. There were 3 kids that didn't appear to be more than 16 years old. They are dressed as though they are auditioning for a hip hop video. They are seemingly doing laps around the aisles of the firearm section with a sweep along the gun counter about every 3 minutes. The highlight was when one of them stops 2 ft away from me to throw down his dice and called the others over to see his awesome roll. When they sweep by they randomly stop by and identify specific guns and seem to instruct each other how badass they are. They tire of wandering aimlessly and go to the checkout/ffl area where someone stops what they are doing and goes to the counter and starts showing them firearms in spite of the fact that there were at least 3 of us with numbers ahead of the kids. Someone else comes over to the counter and calls the next number which was me. She is showing me the 365 and when I ask about a 12 round mag she says they don't have any. Moments later the next guy in line behind comes up next to us and hands us a 12 round mag that he pulled out of the mag section. She allows me to put the mag in the gun to get a feel for it. Now the dice roller bellies right up to the counter and starts asking my sales person about some new concept for a weapons light for a 1911. I expected her to brush him off but instead spends a few minutes trying to explain weapons lights to him and answer his moronic questions.

They have 34 365's in stock but after last night I have very little desire to buy them there. I was in the store for over a half hour and probably 5 minutes was spent with a sales person the rest was just wasted. I stopped and talked to a store manager about my experience and she was most apologetic and asked if there was anything she could do to appease me. I said she should look at the cameras in that section and see if she thinks my anger was warranted. I usually stop at Cabelas after 7pm at night on the way home from work, I have seen similar scenes several times but never this bad nor did the sales people go out of there way to cater to them rather than customers who were following the rules.

I used to really like shopping at that store, now I don't care if I ever go back.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I've had same experience and witnessed straw purchases going on from same "kids". Chicago on one side Garry on the other.

The above situation then the Bass Pro buy out put me over the edge. I ran my Cabelas Visa through the shredder and been buying everything on-line from competitors. So long Cabelas!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The problem of trying to buy at a Big Box store. I've had similar issues at RK, Gander and others. I either buy online, or from whatever LGS has what I want at a decent price. I stay the heck away from the Big Box stores now, unless it's something I can buy from them online where I don't have to deal with their idiotic sales people. If people wonder why online shopping is doing so well (for guns and other stuff as well), they only have to think about this example, or think about any time they've gone somewhere like Best Buy or other chain stores and had horrid sales experiences.

I've had same experience and witnessed straw purchases going on from same "kids". Chicago on one side Garry on the other.

The above situation then the Bass Pro buy out put me over the edge. I ran my Cabelas Visa through the shredder and been buying everything on-line from competitors. So long Cabelas!

Same here with Cabelas. Card was shredded, any snail mail that comes in is tossed or shredded and the emails get sent to spam. The tiny discount from using the card was never worth much anyway.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    Hopefully the manager will watch the surveillance video, realize that they have the wrong people in that area, and also figure out they are losing sales because of it.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Same here with Cabelas. Card was shredded, any snail mail that comes in is tossed or shredded and the emails get sent to spam. The tiny discount from using the card was never worth much anyway.

LOL, I wouldn't call the frequent 25% cash back sales a tiny discount. At least 5 times in the past two months BP/Cabelas has had 5X reward point sales and I've taken advantage of several of them to stock up on reloading supplies. When combined with other sales or monthly cash back deals on certain items, a person can find some pretty good deals. The change to free shipping for any purchase over $50 is nice as well. I was nervous about the BP takeover at first but so far it's been ok.

It's been a long time since I've been to the Cabela's in Hammond but the last time I was at the gun counter there, a couple of (wise) guys who looked like they walked straight off of casting for a movie about the Mob in Chicago were trying to purchase handguns despite having "forgotten" their driver's license at home while a third guy looked on and appeared to pick out the particular guns for purchase. Although annoying that they were taking up a salesman's time, it was at least more entertaining than the usual old farts at the LGS talking the same old nonsense and blocking access to the counters.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Guess I wasn't diligent enough. I never seemed to come across any good deals. Could be due to the fact I don't reload. Last good deal I got there was some 5.56 on sale for a decent price.

Top Bottom