• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Any Ingo'ers do printed circuit board repair?

I believe a capacitor(?) fell out of one that I have on a printer.

numbers on the top of the capacitor;
    C2P
    35v

Last edited:

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Resurrect the thread,
    as I work on projects at home.

I sent the board to 1911ly, I believe something happened to him as I didn't hear back & he has had no further activity.

I purchased a replacement panel & found this;

Anyone able to do a repair on this?

2020-03-25 11.43.32.jpg

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Resurrect the thread,
    as I work on projects at home.

I sent the board to 1911ly, I believe something happened to him as I didn't hear back & he has had no further activity.

I purchased a replacement panel & found this;

Anyone able to do a repair on this?

View attachment 85426

I'm no electronics wizard, but I've done harder things before. I honestly suggest you buy the materials and tackle it yourself. The iron, wick, solder, and part should all be less than $30 and then you've got the stuff in the future if you need it again.

edit: Looking at it, it appears to have actually burned off the board (the brown staining) so you may have deeper problems there. You said that's a replacement board... Any chance you can just send it back where it came from?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The brown stuff looks like unwashed solder paste residue. It looks like it was physically wacked and knocked the cap off it's leaded carrier.

Really, to do it right you need a hot air rework station, but a fine tip iron would work; no wick necessary.

You can come into the office and use mine, I might even have a replacement cap... except I'm a four hour drive from you.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Replies appreciated, I haven't ever done any fine soldering, just larger stuff.

I may just order a fine tip iron & parts, I miss Radio Shak

I'd never done any before either until a few years back. It's the fine solder itself that changes everything. It's not as scary as it seems. If you know how to stick 2 wires together with a 100w iron and .062 solder, you can stick that back together with the appropriate tools and materials.

FWIW, this is my fancy adjustable temp soldering station, and I just bought a few feet of thin solder off of eBay for like a buck or something. It was a budget sensitive time for me, but I got it done.

I really like that station too, especially for the price. I'll take it over my hardware store grade Weller any day.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    We're now in a situation where I have to solder resistors that are 1 mm x .7 mm (0402 package).

If you breath heavily, the part flies away.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    We're now in a situation where I have to solder resistors that are 1 mm x .7 mm (0402 package).

If you breath heavily, the part flies away.

I'm much more to the "bubbling idiot" side of that talent pool, and I'm pretty sure I could handle DR's problem, so... I'm betting he can too.

You're not gonna make it any more broken, DR! :)

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    My old eyes aren't good enough to do anything too small without help from large magnification.

I have a habit of dropping some things at my reloading bench & work bench, only to hit my foot & roll/bounce to unknown places under the bottom shelf of my bench. Gotta stop doing that.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    My old eyes aren't good enough to do anything too small without help from large magnification.

I have a habit of dropping some things at my reloading bench & work bench, only to hit my foot & roll/bounce to unknown places under the bottom shelf of my bench. Gotta stop doing that.

I've learned that when doing repairs on small things, I'm well advised to put it inside of some sort of box before I start. So basically I build a fence around my project. In the case of your repair, a recycled ammo spam can would be an asset. I have a 7.62x54R can that I nicely deburred for exactly that type of deal, though I usually use it for lawn mower oil changes.

Nothing wrong with some high power magnification either. I'd really like to get one of those magnifying lens/light combos on an articulating arm. I'm not as gray as some of the gray beards on INGO, but time already isn't on my side...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Too bad I'm not in the lab anymore.
    Metcal 500, fume hood and microscope.
    Did thousands of ceramic circuit repairs (with no leaching).

Heat stage at 150C lessened work time.
    So did filing the tips to copper.
    But they'd erode and need to be replaced often.

Top Bottom