• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    I'm having one of those periods in my life where it seems like everything that could possibly go wrong is going wrong! We have been dealing with our daughter being in the NICU for a month now and having to drive 45 minutes just to get there. Well I guess it took it's toll on the car. I thought it was the starting battery bad on our Prius, but that did not fix it and I got a diagnostic cable and found out that it's actually the hybrid battery. Of course and the same time our van has to start having issues too.
    Well my question for you bright bunch is, have any of you ever rebuilt a hybrid car battery? How hard is it? How long did it take? Was it worth it? My wife is supposed to go back to work tomorrow so she can save some of her leave for when the baby is home. I need to get the car back on the road asap. I'm a stay at home Dad for now with 5 kids, but only 2 are in school so we really need both vehicles. I really don't want to spend $1000 for a refurbished battery and really can't afford to unless I absolutely have to. I have been looking at all the tutorials online and it doesn't look too hard, but this is beyond anything I have done. I replaced the inverter for the hybrid system when I got the car, but that's really all I have done to it.
    If anyone would happen to have a cheap enough battery laying around I would also be in the market, but I'm sure my luck isn't that good. Or if anyone knows of any junkyards that have any.
    Sorry if my post seems to jump around, I am going on no sleep and a lot going on. Any help or advice you can give us appreciated!!
    Just to make sure I'm clear, I'm talking about the high voltage hybrid battery. It's called a traction battery I believe. Not the 12v starting battery. I already replaced the 12v battery.

Last edited:

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    Sorry you having car issues on top of all the stress you have with your daughter being in the hospital.

I don't know much about these batteries, but I'd be cautious about a rebuilding one if you don't have experience. The downside of getting it wrong is pretty bad.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've never heard of those batteries being rebuilt, if they were replaced it might be as much as the value of the car.

Best of luck on it, I'll be curious how your project come out.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    There is a shop on the west side on 10th street. It’s just east of country club road that advertises EV service. You may be able to get some help on parts through them or even a full swap reasonably priced.

I wish the best for you and your family on your NICU journey. I have been there myself and will keep you in my prayers.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I guess it's a matter of perspective but 1000 dollars for a rebuilt hybrid battery seems pretty reasonable to me. I honestly thought they were at least twice that much until I did some research. You probably couldn't get a transmission or engine rebuilt for anywhere close to that.

Edit: Check out Ebay. They have complete batteries for 450 and up. Looks like you can also buy individual cells if you know how to identify the bad ones.

Last edited:

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    I guess it's a matter of perspective but 1000 dollars for a rebuilt hybrid battery seems pretty reasonable to me. I honestly thought they were at least twice that much until I did some research. You probably couldn't get a transmission or engine rebuilt for anywhere close to that.

Edit: Check out Ebay. They have complete batteries for 450 and up. Looks like you can also buy individual cells if you know how to identify the bad ones.

I agree it isn't that much and especially with how much the car has saved us in fuel, but right now we have had some pretty unexpected expenses with all this and missed paychecks so the $1000 is quite a bit for us right now. The modules are what I was talking about replacing though in a rebuild, but after swapping the bad ones you have to rebalance the cells. I will have to check out eBay and see what I can find on complete batteries. If I can find one for half that would be nice. I appreciate the heads up!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    An Ingo member I know bought an old beat up Prius and rebuilt the battery in it. He described the process and it is involved. He has mad skills and it tested his patience. Unless you possess the proper tools and facility to get the battery pack out of the car I would opt the route of having it done.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you in your lifes issues.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Rebuilding hybrid batteries can be very involved and those batteries carry 600v AC they won't shock you they will kill you. $1k gor a refurbished battery isn't bad. Shop I work for just spent 5k for a hybrid battery for a Toyota Camry. You are best to pony up the 1k if you can.

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    I'm having one of those periods in my life where it seems like everything that could possibly go wrong is going wrong! We have been dealing with our daughter being in the NICU for a month now and having to drive 45 minutes just to get there. Well I guess it took it's toll on the car. I thought it was the starting battery bad on our Prius, but that did not fix it and I got a diagnostic cable and found out that it's actually the hybrid battery. Of course and the same time our van has to start having issues too.
    Well my question for you bright bunch is, have any of you ever rebuilt a hybrid car battery? How hard is it? How long did it take? Was it worth it? My wife is supposed to go back to work tomorrow so she can save some of her leave for when the baby is home. I need to get the car back on the road asap. I'm a stay at home Dad for now with 5 kids, but only 2 are in school so we really need both vehicles. I really don't want to spend $1000 for a refurbished battery and really can't afford to unless I absolutely have to. I have been looking at all the tutorials online and it doesn't look too hard, but this is beyond anything I have done. I replaced the inverter for the hybrid system when I got the car, but that's really all I have done to it.
    If anyone would happen to have a cheap enough battery laying around I would also be in the market, but I'm sure my luck isn't that good. Or if anyone knows of any junkyards that have any.
    Sorry if my post seems to jump around, I am going on no sleep and a lot going on. Any help or advice you can give us appreciated!!
    Just to make sure I'm clear, I'm talking about the high voltage hybrid battery. It's called a traction battery I believe. Not the 12v starting battery. I already replaced the 12v battery.

I do not have personal experience with these people:

Prius hybrids sales and service Scottsburg Indiana

but when my wife's car dies we will probably look at replacing it with a Prius from these people. They also do hybrid battery replacement.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    First, I'm sorry to hear about your compounded troubles... That said, my recommendation would be DO NOT DO IT!. These systems end up being high voltage DC systems, with no way to disconnect the voltage, so you are working with them live. If you get crossed up doing something wrong, this voltage WILL kill you or start a fire that water can't extinguish! I would hate to see your problems compounded even more by trying it yourself.

I've been re-wiring houses since I was 10 and have electrical engineering training, and I would think very long and hard and have to do a LARGE amount of research on the specifics of that specific battery construction before I would even think about cracking open the case of one of those.

I will admit I know nothing about you or your abilities except what is in your post. If you are instead familiar and competent with working on 480VAC systems while they are live, then go right ahead and dig in!

--Rick

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    Well, I'm hard headed and decided to rebuild the battery myself. I'm finally out of the hospital from shocking myself...
    Haha I'm just kidding. It all went well and was actually super easy. I watched a ton of videos and read a lot about it first. There is a main breaker switch that you pull out and once it's out, you pay much have to have no common sense to actually shock yourself. It's basically 28 smaller batteries hook in series to make it high voltage. It had a lot of corrosion on the copper plates that connect it all together. It took me a really long time because of the weather and they new baby is finally home. I have to get it done by Monday so my wife can go back to work, so it's going back in today.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Fordman, I'm happy to hear things worked out for you! It sounds like you and I are a lot alike on taking on projects others warned about! :rockwoot:
    --Rick

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, I'm hard headed and decided to rebuild the battery myself. I'm finally out of the hospital from shocking myself...
    Haha I'm just kidding. It all went well and was actually super easy. I watched a ton of videos and read a lot about it first. There is a main breaker switch that you pull out and once it's out, you pay much have to have no common sense to actually shock yourself. It's basically 28 smaller batteries hook in series to make it high voltage. It had a lot of corrosion on the copper plates that connect it all together. It took me a really long time because of the weather and they new baby is finally home. I have to get it done by Monday so my wife can go back to work, so it's going back in today.

Perfect. Stopping your heart with a Hi-Volt DC shock was my only concern.
    Good job.

Top Bottom