• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    While cleaning out my moms place I found a Rolex with a great family story. Back many years ago my Grandparents took in their 12 year old nephew who was homeless through no fault of his own. He came to think of them as a second set of parents. About 25 years ago after a trip to Vegas he gave my Grandfather his pick of five Rolex watches. So after my grandfather passed away i thought it had gone to my cousin but it was at moms. I contacted Merkley Kendrick Jewelers about a appraisal for insurance purposes. I sent them a picture and they called me back and told me ( insert Senator Vreenak impersonation) IT'S A FAAAAAKKKKEEEEE. Needless to say I was surprised and disappointed.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I sure am glad neither the wife or I are into watches or jewelry, I couldn't tell fakes from real at all.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    A family member of mine inherited a watch from another family member's estate and it turned out to be a vintage Breitling Navitimer :faint:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    A family member of mine inherited a watch from another family member's estate and it turned out to be a vintage Breitling Navitimer :faint:

That's about as amazing as my 3rd removed cousin that moved to Australia, died, and left a sum of money behind. The Australian government found my family here in the states and distributed the estate. Never saw that coming.:woot:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Did he buy the watches from a guy that looked like this?

1369694741701473896.jpg

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    When my wife's uncle died many years ago we got involved in helping her aunt out with taking her to Costco and other various chores which we did for several years. One day she gave me a LeCoultre watch that was her husbands. About a year later she passed away fairly suddenly. We were getting ready to go to the wake and for the first time I tried out the watch. The stem fell out! A jeweler quoted me $250 just to determine the problem and I passed. Decided to try e-Bay and to my amazement I sold it for $450. Used the money to buy a higher end watch in memory of wife's aunt.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    A real one will have a continuous sweep motion, while a fake will show visible ticking movements.

Plenty of Chinese fakes out there that sweep, and keep time, as well as the real thing...

[video=youtube;P_ZTqC2Yxxs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_ZTqC2Yxxs[/video]

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Had a coworker once, let's call him, ahhhh Ray. Ray was a recent graduate and as such he had almost no clothes. Essentially he had a brown outfit and a charcoal gray one -- 2 identical pairs of shoes, one brown, one black; 2 identical knit ties, one brown, one black, you get the idea. Our boss who erroneously considered himself a clothes horse used to razz Ray about his dress. One day Ray must have gotten the message because while he came to work in his old clothes, he did boast one new accoutrement -- a Rolex.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Had a coworker once, let's call him, ahhhh Ray. Ray was a recent graduate and as such he had almost no clothes. Essentially he had a brown outfit and a charcoal gray one -- 2 identical pairs of shoes, one brown, one black; 2 identical knit ties, one brown, one black, you get the idea. Our boss who erroneously considered himself a clothes horse used to razz Ray about his dress. One day Ray must have gotten the message because while he came to work in his old clothes, he did boast one new accoutrement -- a Rolex.

They're making a comeback.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Plenty of Chinese fakes out there that sweep, and keep time, as well as the real thing...

[video=youtube;P_ZTqC2Yxxs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_ZTqC2Yxxs[/video]

Funny you say say that, because the reason I said get a second opinion was because of the second hand sweep (Swiss Action), and how everyone uses that to determine if a Rolex is real. Rolex has made watches with Quartz movements.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Across the street for the Main Gate at Incirlik Air Base, Turkey is the world famous Mr. Rolex's Shop. Bought a couple when I was deployed there. The movements only lasted a year or so.

038dc3a90bab3982d67e227904e5719a--middle-east-ab.jpg

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Buying a Rolex in Los Vegas, what possibly could go wrong?:dunno:
    Some of the best watch shops in the WORLD are In vegas

Seriously OP get a second opinion
    I'm a watch collector, rolex just happens to be my favorite. You wouldnt believe all of the stories I've heard In the hobby of jewelers telling people they had a fake only for it to turn out real.
    They need to inspect the internals.
    A lot of times people will repair rolexes with aftermarket "fake" dials and parts but the watch is real.

It may be fake but it needs to be taken to an authorized rolex dealer
    In indy that is Reise Nichols.

If real .... DO NOT SELL IT TO THEM!!!! You will lose so much money.

Top Bottom