• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    The local news weather prognosticators are sportin serious weather woodies over the upcoming week. If they are even close to right, this will suck...

gLN4e1I.jpg

And it wouldn't be Indiana if the Saturday and Sunday after this wasn't supposed to be in the 40s with rain.:rolleyes:

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    School closings/eLearning Days all over up in this corner already. Some 2-hour delays.

[video=youtube_share;3jFqhjaGh30]http://youtu.be/3jFqhjaGh30[/video]

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    It will be exactly 0 to 1 degrees warmer at 10am tha 8am. Wind chill may actually be worse. Generally I don’t understand 2hr delays
    They have 2 purposes. To wait out the end of an event (fog, temperature warm up, clear roads, furnace/boiler repair, etc. or let the Rush Hour pass to keep kids at bus stops/walkers safe. We had an instance up here where the bus stop was on an icy corner and a car stopped short of plowing into the students.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Meh. Only worries are that the diesel will start and the chickens will be OK.. I could ski to work in less that 5 minutes if necessary.
    No bad weather, only bad clothing.

Same worries here. I’ve flight near full tank with plenty of treatment in it so hoping I won’t have an issue.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    TRAFFIC ALERT - I-65 Southbound, Jasper Co:

All lanes of I-65 southbound are closed at the 223 mile marker, following an accident. That’s just north of the State Road 14 exit. There is no timetable for reopening lanes at this time. Avoid the area.

:runaway:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So, I heard last night that this cold snap could be the "worst" in 25 years.

Can someone more meteorologically informed explain that to me? I could've sworn we had a series of "Polar Vortex" days just a few years ago with comparable temps.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    So, I heard last night that this cold snap could be the "worst" in 25 years.

Can someone more meteorologically informed explain that to me? I could've sworn we had a series of "Polar Vortex" days just a few years ago with comparable temps.

2014 we had serious cold spell. Just not quite this cold. Our local weather weenies don't think we'll come close to all time low records, but will probably set a record for lowest high temp.

And the 2014 cold snap was followed by a dramatic warm up, just like they're predicting later this week.

EDIT

Actually, -22 is our all time record low temp in South Bend. So we'll be close to it.

Here's a link where you can see all the various temp records...

Threaded Extremes

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I wonder if the shifting magnetic pole is introducing another variable into this weather-formation issue.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Interesting question. Quick and dirty, I can't think of a way the magnetic field/pole would directly couple to the atmosphere; but the energy pumped into the field by CMEs and such might couple to the upper atmosphere and the drifting pole might change the point of application and thus some patterns

Even the recent acceleration in N Magnetic Pole drift doesn't seem so fast that a (relatively) stable vortex couldn't adjust, unless the new underlying terrain interferes

Also, interestingly; the S Magnetic Pole is moving slower over a shorter distance. This doesn't seem sustainable

Magnetic Poles

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Sure I do. But the link between weather and magnetic field is "tenuous."
    Does the Earth's Magnetic Field Influence Climate?

Phrase of the day: "archeomagnetic jerks"

Ah ok. :)

In all honesty, my question really was from a place of ignorance. I was aware of the magnetic drift, and the thought occurred to me that there might be a correlation. (Of course, we know here on INGO that even correlation does not necessarily mean causation.) :)

Top Bottom