• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    I'm looking to get a mechanical keyboard, but they all operate with USB. My laptop has limited USB ports, but has bluetooth. I'm looking for a USB hub that I can plug my peripherals into that will then use bluetooth to transmit to my laptop so I can keep keep my laptop USB ports open for thumb drives or if I need to plug something randomly in. My google-fu has failed me, so do you know of any device like that?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Finding keyboards you can pair with some devices that support newer Bluetooth standards, of which the Logitech K780 is a nice though pricey example

Not thinking you'll have much luck finding a USB hub that connects via Bluetooth. The current bandwidth with Bluetooth (25 megs) is too small to make them very useful and the handshaking protocols are wildly disparate.

Keyboard should be no problem unless you're a very fast typer

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Finding keyboards you can pair with some devices that support newer Bluetooth standards, of which the Logitech K780 is a nice though pricey example

Not thinking you'll have much luck finding a USB hub that connects via Bluetooth. The current bandwidth with Bluetooth (25 megs) is too small to make them very useful and the handshaking protocols are wildly disparate.

Keyboard should be no problem unless you're a very fast typer

Yeah. It isn't like I want to hook up something huge. Just a keyboard and a mouse and it isn't like I'm gaming. I'm just working in an office. I'm thinking about getting an Ergdox keyboard and an ergonomic mouse. I'm looking at getting a Nextstand stand for my laptop and don't want a dongle hanging over the side and hurting the usb port. Plus I'd like to keep the usb port free. I was thinking a small 3 port usb hub that provides power and then connects these peripherals to my laptop via bluetooth.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I have a Bluetooth keyboard for my tablet that I regularly type too fast for. And I'm not a particularly quick typist.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I have a Bluetooth keyboard for my tablet that I regularly type too fast for. And I'm not a particularly quick typist.

I'm surprised at that, I wonder what else is going on there because I can't see any way all that bandwidth could be used up just by typing

What version of Bluetooth? Beloiw 3.x I believe it drops to 3 megs

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I'm surprised at that, I wonder what else is going on there because I can't see any way all that bandwidth could be used up just by typing

What version of Bluetooth? Beloiw 3.x I believe it drops to 3 megs

It's probably that it's an old Bluetooth standard. I think I bought that tablet in late 2014, and Samsung doesn't seem to push update for their tablets nearly as often as they do for phones.

But if the hub is supposed to be doing anything other than just the keyboard, you're probably still going to run into trouble with it.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Agreed. The lack of product indicates either a lack of market, or more indirectly a lack of useful capability >> lack of market. Quick look sez BT 5 only twice as fast so don't think hubs coming anytime soon

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    I don't need a plug in one. I only have a keyboard and a mouse. The problem is that I only have two USB ports on this laptop (thanks crappy purchasing at work!). I currently have a hub that I plug my keyboard and mouse in, I just figured that since I'm getting one of these, and maybe one of these, and probably one of these, I just wanted to keep the USB ports free and not have something hanging off the side.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't need a plug in one. I only have a keyboard and a mouse. The problem is that I only have two USB ports on this laptop (thanks crappy purchasing at work!). I currently have a hub that I plug my keyboard and mouse in, I just figured that since I'm getting one of these, and maybe one of these, and probably one of these, I just wanted to keep the USB ports free and not have something hanging off the side.
    What you actually want is a usb dock. Plug all the things into the dock and one cable into the laptop. Depending on the laptop these can even provide power. While the two below are Dell branded they should work just fine with any laptop. Plenty of alternate brands as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-452-BCY...F8&qid=1549019002&sr=8-18&keywords=usb+3+dock
    https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Display...TF8&qid=1549019002&sr=8-4&keywords=usb+3+dock

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...eld-keywords=usb+3+dock&rh=i:aps,k:usb+3+dock

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Get a USB Hub/dock would be the simplest.

I have a Logitech G603 mouse and a G613 keyboard and they can use USB or bluetooth. One of the few mechanical keyboards that I could find that was wireless.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ryandeleeuw340
    Top Bottom