Do you live in a "Food Desert"... you probably do.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    The government invented social justice crisis taken up by Mrs. O, the "Food Desert", is back and it's Trump's fault.

https://fox59.com/2019/01/31/research-finds-an-estimated-200000-indy-residents-live-in-food-deserts/

In short...
    If you live in a poorer area and have more than a 10 minute walk (0.5 miles) to a grocery store, you live in a "food desert".
    If you live in the rest of the city, or suburbs, and drive more than a 1 mile to a grocery store, you also live in a "food desert".
    If you live out in the sticks and are up to 35 miles from basically any kind of grocery store you DO NOT live in a "food desert".

Make sense?

By the USDA's determination, my home in Carmel is in a food desert, I guess I am a victim.

Source...
    https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/food-access-research-atlas/documentation/#definitions

Last edited:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    The government invented social justice crisis taken up by Mrs. O, the "Food Desert", is back and it's Trump's fault.

https://fox59.com/2019/01/31/research-finds-an-estimated-200000-indy-residents-live-in-food-deserts/

In short...
    If you live in a poorer area and have more than a 10 minute walk (0.5 miles) to a grocery store, you live in a "food desert".
    If you live in the rest of the city, or suburbs, and drive more than a 1 mile to a grocery store, you also live in a "food desert".
    If you live out in the sticks and are up to 35 miles from basically any kind of grocery store you DO NOT live in a "food desert".

Make sense?

By the USDA's determination, my home in Carmel is in a food desert, I guess I am victim.

Source...
    https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/food-access-research-atlas/documentation/#definitions

TOTAL BS :noway:

Moved by Choice to the FOOD SAHARA. 15 unwalkable miles to an IGA where you can Afford to buy NOTHING. Dollar store next door which now carries milk, bread & some box processed food.

With the current Weather I might as well Live in Antarctica :( NO Snow
    Removal, Schools CLOSE.

The BAD thing or GOOD Thing is that I'm 30+ Miles to a Burger King (NOT My Favorite) 35+ Miles to a McDonalds or Hardees (My Favorite) 38 Miles to Taco Bell :rolleyes: 3/4 Mile to My mailbox, 3/4 mile to my nearest Neighbor. 37+ Miles to a Real Grocery Store (Kroger) 40 miles to a super small Wal-Mart. Aldi's CLOSED (Sad)

The GOOD THING, I'm SHERIFF of My Realm. 35+ Minutes to the County Sheriff, 30+ Minutes to EMS, 25+ to Volunteer Fire Department, they Bring the Marshmallows, ISP, writing tickets 50+ Minutes away. DNR, worried about process crimes, unreachable, I'm the Fire Fighter, the EMS, the Mechanic, the Carpenter, Plumber & Electrician. I will admit that Age has played a Cruel Trick but I'll continue to Live by 'Improvise. Adapt. Overcome' My LIFE'S MOTTO.

I'm a VICTIM and I'd have it NO OTHER WAY ;)

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Been hearing about this nonsense for a few years. Pure idiocy. By their definition, I am in a "desert". We rotate around thru 4 grocers in the area. There is no issue getting food from more than a mile away. If I REALLY wanted to, I could walk or bike the 3-5 miles to 3 full grocers, and less to several convenience stores.

Saw a news bit just this week that a grocer decided to open up a store in a "desert" to serve an otherwise under-served area. He has been vandalized and robbed continually, to the point he is closing. It isn't a "food desert", it is a "food war zone" (to stick with the hyperbole). If the community wanted the store, they wouldn't run it out.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    So, they measure the distance to a "grocery store", but ignore the distance to the nearest "fast food" store. You would think that people would be starving to death but the truth is that we are the most obese people on the planet, so food must be plentiful!

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    So, they measure the distance to a "grocery store", but ignore the distance to the nearest "fast food" store. You would think that people would be starving to death but the truth is that we are the most obese people on the planet, so food must be plentiful!

They only count "fresh and healthy" food so a dollar/corner/convenience store with a selection of groceries (most small towns) doesn't count.

Last edited:

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Arbitrary definitions aside, much of my vegetables, fruits and protein are grown within 100' of my house in the back yard*. Suck it USDA.

* At least until the government that says not living next door to sources of fresh food is bad, outlaws me growing within city limits and collecting/using my own water.

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I'm surprised the previous administration didn't make the claim that:

" It's easier for a child to get a Glock than it is for them to go to the grocery store "

People are getting way too comfortable not doing anything, I have to drive 20 minutes to get to anything that resembles a town, further for a city, and it's still close to this kind of noncense

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Guys, maybe it was a typo... I bet they meant dessert... :)

Classic-Pineapple-Upside-Down-Cake_exps48510_THCB1914178A12_10_5bC_RMS-1.jpg

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    In short...

Make sense?

No.

.5 or 1 mile? That's a ridiculously short distance. Maybe in NY where a bodega is counted as a grocery store, but in the Midwest where only Mega Lo Marts exist...

I will say, downtown Fort Wayne is pretty much a food desert. It's three mile to get any kind of groceries, and it's even hard to get a bag of chips. There's a lot of times I sit at my desk and just want a Hot Pocket... even my car is three blocks away.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Saw a news bit just this week that a grocer decided to open up a store in a "desert" to serve an otherwise under-served area. He has been vandalized and robbed continually, to the point he is closing. It isn't a "food desert", it is a "food war zone" (to stick with the hyperbole). If the community wanted the store, they wouldn't run it out.

Now wait just a minute. You aren't suggesting that there may be a legitimate reason for a lack of retail locations in certain areas of larger cities, are you? You can't do that, you'll derail the theory that it's somehow evil racist capitalists fault. How will we get the government to step in, take more money from those wiling to earn it and give it to those not only unwilling to earn it but who are hell bent on ensuring every decision they make in this life is a bad one?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Yeah, that's why we're the most obese.

At the risk of stereotyping and looking down on a lower income level... THIS.

If it's profitable, a grocery will open up. But getting robbed and vandalize ain't profitable.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    One more thing: Regardless of what you think about "food deserts", this is not a federal government issue!

Maybe it's state thing, but ideally, this is strictly a city government issue and they can deal with it as they see fit.

Top Bottom