• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jzwhts

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Mooresville
    My daughter is thinking about a 2011 Equinox it only has 40k miles on it. What kind of experience do you guys have with them? Should she look at a newer maybe Ford Escape? She does commute a bit but needs a vehicle that she can haul her keyboard in. Any advice much appreciated.

jndturner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2013
    Noblesville, IN
    I had two of them as company cars from 2011-2016. I averaged around 50,000 miles a year at that point. I had pretty good luck with them. I never had any mechanical issues. I had it serviced every 5k miles. Most of my driving was highway and interstate. They did okay in the snow, but I would not recommend taking them into unplowed areas. I am 6’ 2” and I felt cramped in it. The seats were not the most comfortable on long drives.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    My wife and I had a 2011 Equinox that my wife drove everyday. We owned it for a couple of years, had less than 10,000 miles on it when we got it and had around 40,000 miles when we traded it in. My wife loved it, never had any problems while we owned it. She was even in a bad accident where she was hit broad side, it held up well and she wasn't hurt. The only negative I can say about the equinox was it sucked driving it in the snow.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I had a 2014 4 cylinder as a company car. Put 95,000 miles on it with no issues other than the A/C drain became plugged. Probably my fault as I regularly parked it under a pine tree.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    We looked at them when we were in the market. The wife couldn’t get over the blind spots. She’s 5’5. I’m 6’ and sat up high enough it didn’t effect me, but when I leaned down to her level, the rear pillars did kind of obstruct my view.

I’d still buy one. We have 2 of them at work and they’re comfortable and reliable.

jzwhts

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Mooresville
    Thanks for the input. This one is the 4 cylinder. What is the expected real life mpg commuting back and forth to work. Mostly 465 and 31 north to Carmel.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    AWD only unless she's on blacktop all the time.

I drove a big motor 2013 FWD for about 70,000, and wasn't overly impressed with it's capability in snow, ice, slightly damp grass...

Even though the 4 cylinder is a DOG (almost dangerously so), I'druther have had it and AWD rather than lots of power with nowhere to go.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    The one I had was AWD. Did good in the snow and it definitely wasn't the slowest car I've ever owned (or the fastest). Not by a long shot. I want to say I got 24-30 mpg depending on outside temperature and type of driving. Winter was usually 24-26 mpg.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    My girlfriend has a 2012 with the 4 cyl. It's a nice vehicle, she loves it. IIRC, it has about 90k on it. Most of her driving is in town and I think it's around 24 MPG.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Personally id stay away from anything Chevy with a 6 speed auto trans. They're junk, not that their 4 speed autos were any better, just cheaper to repair. Doesnt matter fwd or rwd. The 6 speed fwd auto is prone to the 3-5- Rev wave plate breaking and when it does you will lose 3rd, 5th, and reverse. You can google "Chevy 6t40, 6t45, and 6t70 3/5/rev wave plate" if you'd like to read up on this issue. If it is driven very much once plate breaks theres a chance the pieces will get into the planetary gears and cause even more damage. Average cost is roughly $2-3k depending on damage done. They also have Techm issues(transmission computer). It is internal to the transmission and is another common failure. Roughly $800 to replace and reflash. Gm says they updated the wave plate in 2009, but i can tell you ive seen them break in up to 2013 models as well. If you buy one make sure to get an extended warranty and follow all maintenance requirements as per the policy you buy, because if you plan on keeping it, you're gonna need it. Just my :twocents: Take it as you will.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I drove one as a work vehicle. As long as it had the engine replaced under recall they are solid.

I drove mine from 150,000 to 180,000 miles and you couldnt tell it from a 75,000 vehicle. Ran great, and no major problems.

I'd consider one given that experience.

elwoodward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Washington Co.
    Drive 2 of them at work they are always needing something worked on and both are needing transmission work. I believe they both sit over 60k. They are not long distance business vehicles but around property\small town use.

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    I bought my 2013 with 34000 miles on it. I drive from Brownstown to Sellersburg (90 mile round trip) to work each day. I've got 155000 on it now. It's been a great car. It does have the 4 cylinder. My average from the time I bought it and reset it is 25.5. My best 50 mile average is 36.1. I do know some of these had an oil consumption issue, something like 2 qts per 5000 miles. It's out there on a google search (may be the link further up). I drive it like I stole it daily and still going strong.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Have a 2016 2.4 four cylinder. I have only had a year and a half and other then getting nails in tires and had plugs, I have had no issues in 25k miles. I have the ltz with almost every option. I’m 6’1” and with the electric seat it is comfortable for me. I get about 20 mpg in town, 35 on the highway at 60mph, and 30 at 75.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Personally id stay away from anything Chevy with a 6 speed auto trans. They're junk, not that their 4 speed autos were any better, just cheaper to repair. Doesnt matter fwd or rwd. The 6 speed fwd auto is prone to the 3-5- Rev wave plate breaking and when it does you will lose 3rd, 5th, and reverse. You can google "Chevy 6t40, 6t45, and 6t70 3/5/rev wave plate" if you'd like to read up on this issue. If it is driven very much once plate breaks theres a chance the pieces will get into the planetary gears and cause even more damage. Average cost is roughly $2-3k depending on damage done. They also have Techm issues(transmission computer). It is internal to the transmission and is another common failure. Roughly $800 to replace and reflash. Gm says they updated the wave plate in 2009, but i can tell you ive seen them break in up to 2013 models as well. If you buy one make sure to get an extended warranty and follow all maintenance requirements as per the policy you buy, because if you plan on keeping it, you're gonna need it. Just my :twocents: Take it as you will.

Good thing I have a lifetime warranty on the drivetrain of the 2014 Traverse I bought used! :rockwoot:

Top Bottom