Home electrical: electronics and fan on same circuit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I'm looking at adding some LED floodlights to the sides my house. The simplest way to get power to the new locations is to run the wires in the attic and tie into the electrical box that the attic fan is on. While I'm at it I may as well add some lights to the attic too.

As far as I know the attic fan is the only thing on that circuit.

How electrically noisy are attic fans? Will it shorten the life of LED flood lights on the same circuit?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm looking at adding some LED floodlights to the sides my house. The simplest way to get power to the new locations is to run the wires in the attic and tie into the electrical box that the attic fan is on. While I'm at it I may as well add some lights to the attic too.

How electrically noisy are attic fans? Will it shorten the life of LED flood lights on the same circuit?

How well is your system grounded. Noise can be reduced with a good ground.
    Simple is not always the best way. The start up inrush on an old belt driven attic fan is pretty serious as to load on a power source. The one in my dads house was on the same circuit as the hall light and it hit the light noticeably when it started.

How difficult to run a dedicated circuit for these additional lights. The draw would be minimal.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Do you even use the attic fan any more? Last time I used one was because I was in a house that reeked of cat urine. The fan was noisy and ruined any chance of heat or cool in the house.

If you use it rarely I would guess it would be worth the hassle of dimming the lights. Make sure it is grounded well. I put some LED spots on the new place and man did they dirty the line. Turns out the guy I had on the ladder didn't tie the ground wires together. After that I had no issues.

If running a 14/2 wire up into the attic is possible I would go that route no matter what.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Do you even use the attic fan any more? Last time I used one was because I was in a house that reeked of cat urine. The fan was noisy and ruined any chance of heat or cool in the house.

If you use it rarely I would guess it would be worth the hassle of dimming the lights. Make sure it is grounded well. I put some LED spots on the new place and man did they dirty the line. Turns out the guy I had on the ladder didn't tie the ground wires together. After that I had no issues.

If running a 14/2 wire up into the attic is possible I would go that route no matter what.

Exactly. A good ground is important. The house we own next door had noise in the circuits. I added a deep ground rod in addition to the pluming ground. It cured most of it. The existing house wiring is original to 1958. We have ran several new dedicated circuits for the big appliances and electronics. The run clean.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

You'll be fine. Besides, LED's aren't exactly "clean" - it takes a lot to get from 120VAC to the square wave DC they need.

Then you're doing it wrong. Attic fans are great if used properly - open the windows at night when it's cool and turn on the fan. Before it gets warm, turn it off and close the windows.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Currently I'm not using attic fan as the motor has failed, but I intend to replace it at the same time I put the wires and lights in. It is a modern direct drive fan and is one of those roof-mounted ones, not one of the ones that draws air from the living area of the house.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Currently I'm not using attic fan as the motor has failed, but I intend to replace it at the same time I put the wires and lights in. It is a modern direct drive fan and is one of those roof-mounted ones, not one of the ones that draws air from the living area of the house.

Well that is a totally different thing then. Have at it just make sure the ground is solid.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I cant speak for the lights, but I presume they're good.

You do want to avoid putting sensitive electronics like computers and related equipment on a circuit with a large draw fan. Starting the fan can cause dips that are harmful to some computerized electronics.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Then you're doing it wrong. Attic fans are great if used properly - open the windows at night when it's cool and turn on the fan. Before it gets warm, turn it off and close the windows.

I used it at a customer's house only. They had nine cats living in the place, a couple who were toms and not fixed. The place was horrible to try and work in. I used the big, loud attic fan to try and suck the smell out. I wasn't living there so only used it during the day.

House was built in '65. Fan was original. It made so much noise we couldn't talk to each other in different rooms without yelling. I stopped using it, except for when I had to paint the louvers. Paint dried east at least.

Top Bottom