Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So I found a pair of Danner boots on Amazon. I typically only buy using Prime because something like a boot, you never know exactly how it will fit, but in this size/style there was only one seller. So I took a chance. (and I already had a pair of Danners in a slightly different style, so I assumed I knew my size)

They fit my foot fine, however there was a thick seam across the tongue that dug into my ankle bone. OK, So I push through it as I wore them around the house, because boots can have some pinch points that will break in over time, right?After 45 minutes the pain was unbearable and I had a raw spot on my ankle that took a couple days to go away. These are obviously a no-go.

I filed the return, and found I'd be on the hook for the return shipping. No problem. I can handle that.

Fast forward a week and I get the refund notice for my $189 boots... Only a $130 credit. WTF? When I contacted the seller I was told "Amazon allows us to charge up to a 25% restock fee, So we do. Have a nice day." $50 hit for new boots returned in perfect condition with no outside wear. 100% new condition. My reply is a terse "Savor that $50 because its the last dollar you will ever see from me. "

Fast forward a day and I get a response. "I talked to the owner and he authorized a ONE TIME full refund. We hope this is to your satisfaction." And sure enough they refunded me the rest of the restock (minus shipping which I think is perfectly fair.)

I did end up filing a one star review of the company, warning others of their tendency to charge outrageous restock fees so they can make more money on a return than an actual honest sale. (returns are common on footwear especially)

Fast forward a couple more weeks. I get another email, supposedly from the owner asking me if I am happy and if so, please give them a positive review.

So I'm, torn. Yes, I was made whole... But not after pitching a fit. And I wouldn't have had a problem with a more reasonable restock fee. $10? $15? Sure. but $50?!?!? No way. And if you are selling something like a duty boot that is not guaranteed to fit because every foot is different, you should expect to have some returns.

So what would you do?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I said leave one (1) star. It isn't whether you were made whole, but also what you had to go through to be made whole.

I would also leave a detailed explanation as to why you left the review that you did. I got the product, its quality was fine, but I had issues. It was returned undamaged and unmarked in any way, and they wanted to charge me $X anyway just because they could. I don't like them but until they publicly change their policy it's your call. Something like that.

I think reviews are about overall service. Go to a restaurant. Do you rate it one (1) star or five (5)? For what? What if the food was great, when it got to the table two (2) hours later? What if the food was good but the service sucked? What if the service was great but the food was cold? To me a rating isn't just "did I get my food" but rather the entire experience.

Yours sucked . Say so, and say why.

Regards,

Doug

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Maybe compromise. Give them a better star rating 3-4 stars?, but explain the situation to future potential customers. :twocents:

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I would let the review stand the way it is. Customer service is a big thing with me. For good or bad, you had an experience with that company. Deleting a negative review of a negative experience won't help anyone in the future. That's what reviews are for, to share experiences of your interactions with a company. At the most I would edit the review at the bottom and post your updated experience, and yep, I'd word it just like you told it here. The original review would remain as posted.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Two stars.

They are certainly better than what you thought when you wrote a one-star review. But it was still a negative experience.

Jt22453

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2018
    Greenwood
    Whenever I have felt like I’ve been screwed in the past like that I leave my reviews unless the company goes above and beyond what they needed to do. An example is this past Christmas, Classic Firearms sent me a bayonet that was supposed to be in excellent condition in 2 days. Well, the original label was cancelled and they would not return my messages until after it was originally supposed to be in my hands. When they finally contacted me I told them to cancel the order. They said they could not because it had been sent out. Ok, I will see what it looks like. I get it after close to an extra week and the tip is broken off and so much cosmoline on it it looks like someone took a crap and rubbed it all over it. I told them and they said I could send it back at my cost. Not my fault and I left a 1 star review that they will not put on the site. If they just would have sent another bayonet I would not have said another word but I was jerked around and they acted like it was my fault they sent a crappy product. I will never use Classic Firearms again even though they have pretty cool stuff because of their customer service. Their attitude was that they couldn’t do anything but they could have done everything better than it was.I just took it as a lesson learned and found a different Christmas present for the person. If they would have gone above and beyond after the problems I experienced I would be singing their praises and still shopping there. Now, I feel slighted and never want anything from them ever again. Being made whole is what should have happened in the first place. A second chance is where customer service should come into play and give out a free replacement or do something to make a customer feel good about the experience. It doesn’t sound like you feel good about the experience so I would not change your review.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Any company that charges that ridiculous of an amount as a "restocking fee" deserves a one star review. Let it ride , heck update it with the companies responces too , 25% on Amazon of all places ?

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I would leave a middle of the road review. Better than one star because they did make it right, less than 5 because you had to pitch a fit. If you can leave comments then explain why.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I would leave a 1 or 2 star rating with an update in a situation like this and have. Similar situation, different product. It was not as described or pictured and then had to pay a hefty "restocking" fee. They even offered me a $100 credit on my next purchase from them if I changed the review to a perfect score. I reported their bribe to Amazon and left the honest review. Doubt if Amazon will follow thru.

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Quite a few places charge a restocking fees on Amazon. I guess I would look at the seller’s information page. If they don’t mention the fee on that page, I would probably let the review stand. If they do mention the fee, I would probably adjust or remove my review.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Whenever I have felt like I’ve been screwed in the past like that I leave my reviews unless the company goes above and beyond what they needed to do. An example is this past Christmas, Classic Firearms sent me a bayonet that was supposed to be in excellent condition in 2 days. Well, the original label was cancelled and they would not return my messages until after it was originally supposed to be in my hands. When they finally contacted me I told them to cancel the order. They said they could not because it had been sent out. Ok, I will see what it looks like. I get it after close to an extra week and the tip is broken off and so much cosmoline on it it looks like someone took a crap and rubbed it all over it. I told them and they said I could send it back at my cost. Not my fault and I left a 1 star review that they will not put on the site. If they just would have sent another bayonet I would not have said another word but I was jerked around and they acted like it was my fault they sent a crappy product. I will never use Classic Firearms again even though they have pretty cool stuff because of their customer service. Their attitude was that they couldn’t do anything but they could have done everything better than it was.I just took it as a lesson learned and found a different Christmas present for the person. If they would have gone above and beyond after the problems I experienced I would be singing their praises and still shopping there. Now, I feel slighted and never want anything from them ever again. Being made whole is what should have happened in the first place. A second chance is where customer service should come into play and give out a free replacement or do something to make a customer feel good about the experience. It doesn’t sound like you feel good about the experience so I would not change your review.

Paragraphs are are your friend.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Leave the review, but update it with the newer information. As the email explained, this was a one time deal. Others experiencing the same issue may not be as fortunate, and this will help others make an informed decision on whether they wish to make a purchase from this seller.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Quite a few places charge a restocking fees on Amazon. I guess I would look at the seller’s information page. If they don’t mention the fee on that page, I would probably let the review stand. If they do mention the fee, I would probably adjust or remove my review.

^^^ That's what I'd do. The thing about the company expecting returns on footwear goes both ways. Before I ordered footwear online, I'd try to see how much it would cost me to return a pair. If they clearly explain their fee, that's one thing, but if they "bury" it in the fine print legal mumbo jumbo, then that's another.

They gave you a full refund, after your original review, so they can rightfully expect more than the one star that you originally gave.

You ordered in good faith and were hosed with a high return fee, and had to go through aggravation to get it back, so they also have to expect your rating to reflect that.

I read ratings, and it's the explanation that I value, more than the number thing.

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I voted for a positive review because they did the right thing in the end. You might be the customer that causes them to rethink their policy. But, I would not order from them again.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    ^^^^^^
    this

they did give back the 50 but to much pain and suffering, lol.....think only fair to raise it to at least 2 stars!

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Leave the review, but update it with the newer information. As the email explained, this was a one time deal. Others experiencing the same issue may not be as fortunate, and this will help others make an informed decision on whether they wish to make a purchase from this seller.

Agreed with these and a few others. I would definitely update with the new info, and might adjust the rating up a bit from a 1 star (maybe 2), but would not make it a positive review. If you would not do business with them again, then a positive review should not be given, but updating the review with all the info and adjusting it up a star seems reasonable.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Tell the whole story in the review - including your response about the last money they'll see - and then their counter-response about getting a 1-time refund. Post screen-grabs of the emails. End your review with "In the end, I was made whole, but if this is what passes for customer service, then I stand by my review" or something.

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    I would at best give them 2 stars. I read reviews before buying and would appreciate the information on how returns are handled. Shouldn't have to find out the hard way like you did, which is the entire point on customer reviews.

Top Bottom