• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    [FONT=&quot]Always amazing how military hardware hangs around and is in use decades later. I would have hated to feed and upkeep those Panzers in a battlefield like that.. Parts must have been hard. But looking at some of the knocked out tanks, it seems they were in a more defensive mode. [/FONT]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbgW9C9G0H4

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yeah, tanks from bygone era still in use, seem to be more used as stationary artillery pieces than mobile armor. As long as you can wrk the turret, it has some utility.

Jt22453

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2018
    Greenwood
    That is really cool but I’m surprised the panzers could do nothing to the Sherman’s. Unless they upgraded the armor a direct hit should have knocked them out. Suppose being equipped with a 105 would help with not being in range to be hit or hit easily, though.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Thanks for sharing that. I knew about Israel continuing to use Shermans, their up-gunned versions are pretty interesting, but I didn't know anything about the Syrian panzers. I know the Czechs also supplied 98k Mausers and an updated version of the Me109 Messerschmitt to Israel, so they supplied both sides with ex-Nazi equipment.

1024px-Avia-S199-hatzerim-2.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That is really cool but I’m surprised the panzers could do nothing to the Sherman’s. Unless they upgraded the armor a direct hit should have knocked them out. Suppose being equipped with a 105 would help with not being in range to be hit or hit easily, though.

As in the original conflict it is possible that tactics played a role here. Training etc.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    As for keeping the tanks running... shouldn't be that hard.
    While parts fabrication might be expensive for us, for a nation it shouldn't be that hard.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Reminds me of the Greek engineer I worked with 1987.
    He told me about the Greek village that kept a Panzer when the Germans were run off.
    And when the communists tried to take over... the village rolled out the Panzer!:)

Top Bottom