• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'm now the IT guy for my wife's dental practice. They want a wireless network that patients (and they) can use but I want it protected from ability to go from wireless to our wired network, for security purposes.

There is a netgear Prosafe FVS336Gv3 dual-wan router in the practice. There are three switches with plenty of open LAN ports. Is it possible to take the IP of the wireless router and lock it down to not have access to go anywhere but out to the cable modem?

Follow-up question: it is a dual-WAN router. currently only the cable modem input is used. I'd love an LTE backup device going into LAN2 as a failover if case comcast ever goes down. Problem is the phone system requires a static IP hard coded in, and that would change if comcast goes down. I can always change the IP on the hardware but I may not be local to do that. Can I just plug the LTE hotspot router into the WAN2 port and setup the router to use it as a failover if WAN1 dies? Don't want to burn the cellular data if we don't need it.

zer0day

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2019
    Munster
    Are you using comcast business class? If so, they "should" help with this.
    And yes you should be able to have multiple access point IDs for internal use and for customer use. Configurable through the modem in a web interface. You may also be able to configure it all through an app based gui provided by the modem manufacturer. Comcast should also have software for customization.
    As for a fallback signal, it sounds like youre concerned with comcast signal dropping, you can use an lte hotspot however it depends on the hardware youre using and configuration. Comcast has their mobile network but thats based on partial mvno contract with, i believe, verizon and with mesh networking other comcast routers wifi. So if you were to use att or tmo or whomever for lte fallback that may or may not be able to tie into your wan/lan without the hardware and networking protocols in place.
    Do you have data redundancies and automatic back ups/save points set up in preperation for outages for power or hardware failure?

Sent from my burner phone using Tapatalk!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    the problem with comcast is the modem is setup as a simple bridge, the router is not handling DHCP, they have a windows server doing that. Honestly no idea why, but that's how the practice was done when we bought it. They had shared server resources for the old medical record system but now it's all cloud based. They still want access to the old records so the old system has to stay in place a while.

Honestly I want to just drop the server out of the picture, have the router handle DHCP and stop using windows server. But... my hands are tied for the moment.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ubiquiti Unifi.

USG3 for router. (VoIP Port can be configured for failover WAN)
    Separate APs for Wireless.
    They support guest networks with bandwidth shaping, and isolates the guests from the back office network.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Ubiquiti Unifi.

USG3 for router. (VoIP Port can be configured for failover WAN)
    Separate APs for Wireless.
    They support guest networks with bandwidth shaping, and isolates the guests from the back office network.

would the windows server care about the hardware change? Or do I just tell the router which IP address will handle dhcp?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    would the windows server care about the hardware change? Or do I just tell the router which IP address will handle dhcp?

If you follow the current IP scheme, the server wont care.

The router can do DHCP, or you can keep using the server for DHCP. If you keep the server, I'd suggest that for DHCP. More powerful and easier to manage.

Also, if you keep the server, it can run the free controller software for the Unifi gear. It is controller based, so you either run the free software on an existing server, or install a Cloudkey V2 server. ($180)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    AND the admiral!

Any more and you'll need one of these.

61Vxhjse%2B2L._SL1500_.jpg

Top Bottom