Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

If there's a parasitic electrical drain - good luck. You'd definitely be better off with a battery pack / jumper than trying to track one down.

My dad had an issue with one of his old Buicks. Somehow they determined it was the driver's side seat belt latch that was causing it. The little electrodes that tell the car the belt is buckled and whatnot.
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

User Info Menu

It's pretty simple to narrow it down to the circuit at issue, but yeah, down to what exactly may be causing the draw, that can get frustrating.
    ​Bullies suck. They also make you stronger.

User Info Menu

Oh, and I'm going to add an additional buffer and replace all the bulbs with LED. That should also greatly reduce the draw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

User Info Menu

Along with the battery, check the connections. check the voltage drop on each segment of the path. when cranking the engine over (disable fuel so you can crank for more than a fraction of a second). V=IR and all that, a fraction of an ohm doesn't matter for small draws or high voltage but 12v and 200+amp draw it matters. That both amplifies a weak battery and hurts it more.

I've seen vehicles in the throwaway segment (neon) that used the bare minimum wire size to provide power to the starter from the factory. literally in the 6-8ga range. works well enough on the lot with a good battery and fast startup but a less than perfect battery, very little corrosion, and a rough/extended crank from parts that barely last the life of the warranty period and bam, no-start.

Keep in mind the parts store handheld testers often have a hard time distinguishing a cold battery, discharged battery, and a bad battery (unless it's really bad). To really check it you need to have it fully charged before testing.

Master

User Info Menu

As far as a jump box recommendation here is my .02 cents as an ASE technician. I would be looking at one of the small Lithium battery jump packs that have become very popular. I have one that I picked up from Harbor Freight for like $50 that I keep in my daughters trunk. It's one of those small packs that is only about 8"4" and the clamp plug into it. It has done its job a few times when she has left the parking lights on. Regardless of what jump pack you get just remember to check its charge from time to time. I usually check it whenever its time for an oil change.
    Many of the larger jump packs that have a larger battery inside don't seem to hold a charge in long term storage.
    If you want to spend a few bucks more pick one up from any auto parts store. Schumacher makes nice packs

User Info Menu

Duracell makes a pretty solid one. I have this one:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Duracell-...8aAmYMEALw_wcB
    I Have the Worst Crew Ever

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    As far as a jump box recommendation here is my .02 cents as an ASE technician. I would be looking at one of the small Lithium battery jump packs that have become very popular. I have one that I picked up from Harbor Freight for like $50 that I keep in my daughters trunk. It's one of those small packs that is only about 8"4" and the clamp plug into it. It has done its job a few times when she has left the parking lights on. Regardless of what jump pack you get just remember to check its charge from time to time. I usually check it whenever its time for an oil change.
    Many of the larger jump packs that have a larger battery inside don't seem to hold a charge in long term storage.
    If you want to spend a few bucks more pick one up from any auto parts store. Schumacher makes nice packs
    Thanks.

That is why I specified one that uses a 12v wall wart input. That way I could run a maintenance charge every time I run the engine. So in theory I never have to worry because it is always topped off.

So in my case yesterday, I wouldnt have had to worry because I would have just charged it that AM on the drive to the location.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

User Info Menu

If your car is starting with a jump from another vehicle, then this is all you need. I have one and it works great, even in sub-zero wind chill weather.

Also charges from your 12v lighter socket when you're driving, if needed. They are on sale at Walmart.com right now, and delivered to your door in 2 days.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-J...Ports/14560015

ETA- Also, if you keep the unit in your trunk..... place it in a small beverage cooler, and it will stay charged up better in real cold weather while you're not at home. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by GREEN607; 6 Days Ago at 04:44. Reason: add info...
    Teach a kid something wholesome today..... and teach an adult gun safety this week.

Master

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GREEN607 View Post
    If your car is starting with a jump from another vehicle, then this is all you need. I have one and it works great, even in sub-zero wind chill weather.

Also charges from your 12v lighter socket when you're driving, if needed. They are on sale at Walmart.com right now, and delivered to your door in 2 days.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-J...Ports/14560015

ETA- Also, if you keep the unit in your trunk..... place it in a small beverage cooler, and it will stay charged up better in real cold weather while you're not at home. Hope this helps.
    I have known a few people who have been very happy with those jump packs.

But I have to clarify something you said.. Batteries and inanimate objects are not effected by wind chill.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I purchased a battery. After not starting the vehicle for three days it wouldn't start. I was at the VA hospital and security started the car with a jump pack. I charged the battery at home and after setting a few days, my car wouldn't start again. The parts store tested the battery and said it was ok. Several days later the car would not start. Again the parts store said the battery was ok so I asked them to test the battery again with an old style load tester. They said it was ok. I insisted on a new battery and that fixed the problem. The battery testers don't always identify a weak or bad battery.

I have had a Weiyi 800A Peak Current 16800mAh jump pack for over three years. The 800 peak amperage is able to start large V8 and small diesel engines a few times without recharging. I usually recharge the pack every year or after each time I use it. The battery will hold the charge for a long time. After setting a year the jump pack still indicates full charge and it fully recharges a few minutes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast