Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

Jump box recommendation

Once again it happened. I was working at a remote office... and I mean REMOTE. I was the only one there, and no other businesses within walking distance. I was setting up a new branch office so I had my car pulled into the shop/warehouse to unload and work out of my trunk. Ive done this for 5 years without issue. Now in the last year or two, doing so apparently runs my battery down to the point the starter wont turn over. Ive already checked the battery repeatedly and its fine.

Luckily the last 2 times I lucked out. The first time the service manager lives literally 5 minutes away from that building, and was able to come over and give me a jump start. Today the closest colleague was 45 mins away, but I happened to find a battery charger on the shelf and I was able to hook it up for 15 minutes and top off the battery.

So I figure its time to keep a jump box in the trunk so I can take care of myself if it happens again. But I want to hook up the charging port to my electrical system so its topping off the box when the car is running. The last thing I need is to need it and find out it didnt hold a charge.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good portable jumpstart box that charges via a 12v adapter? Doesnt have to be particularly small because its going to sit in the trunk all the time.

I wish I had the room for an accessory battery with a switcher system. I saw one that would constantly trickle both batteries, but when the ignition was off the main battery was disconnected. So if you ran a battery down it was the one for the accessories, not the starter system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

User Info Menu

I know nothing about jump boxes because when my vehicles do this, I replace the battery. How did you test your battery?
    ​Bullies suck. They also make you stronger.

User Info Menu

Noco Genius is a great brand. You can get a 1,000 cca one for $100.

https://no.co/gb40

We just bought a 4,000 cca one for our semi trucks. It can charge on a USB port.

Amazon sells them and I think even Walmart has the smaller ones.
    Last edited by Bigtanker; 02-12-2019 at 12:04.

Need help posting Pictures? GO HERE
    >>>>>>>>>> www.ingunowners.com/forums/forum-support-suggestions/446735-posting-photos-imgur-ingo.html <<<<<<<<<

How to embed a YouTube video....
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...st7836731NGOer

# 22951

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HoughMade View Post
    I know nothing about jump boxes because when my vehicles do this, I replace the battery. How did you test your battery?
    Multiple trips to multiple auto parts places using the portable testers to look for failed cells. And this battery is less than a year old.

I'm thinking worn starter, bad contacts on the starter, etc. Its a 2012 with 140,000 miles now so I suspect the starting system is taking a bit more current than before to start.

User Info Menu

Can you keep 300 extension cord in your trunk?
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

Love them as if you'll lose them.

User Info Menu

Can you keep 300 extension cord in your trunk?
    Not if I want to keep anything else in there. LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cameramonkey View Post
    ...I'm thinking worn starter, bad contacts on the starter, etc. Its a 2012 with 140,000 miles now so I suspect the starting system is taking a bit more current than before to start.
    You could be right, but when everything is working correctly, you should be able to have your interior lights on and listen to the radio for over an hour and still be able to start. This strikes me as something more than a bit of additional draw.

My truck is at 165,000 miles and had those exact symptoms. A new battery solved it.

Were it me, battery or not, I'd find out why this is happening and fix it before I spent money on a jump box. It's just going to continue to get worse until it doesn't start at all.
    ​Bullies suck. They also make you stronger.

User Info Menu

Check your owners manual. Many newer vehicles have a power conserve feature that will shut down the electrical system after an extended power drain. Mine takes cycling the key to on several times to reset. Also, these new starters just will not function below certain voltages. At 10.5 volts my starter will not even click, the computer reads the voltage and will not even let the starter try. To reduce current consumption you could replace any lights that are on during your work with LEDs, they draw way less current and produce way less heat in the line and battery. Speaking of battery heat, long term current draw causes some heat in the battery which can cause plate warping. I have had batteries that tested good but would keep dying due to heating & cooling cycles causing the plates to warp. New battery solved the problem, but be aware that even new batteries can sometimes be bad. Hope this helps.
    The colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
    Check your owners manual. Many newer vehicles have a power conserve feature that will shut down the electrical system after an extended power drain. Mine takes cycling the key to on several times to reset. Also, these new starters just will not function below certain voltages. At 10.5 volts my starter will not even click, the computer reads the voltage and will not even let the starter try. To reduce current consumption you could replace any lights that are on during your work with LEDs, they draw way less current and produce way less heat in the line and battery. Speaking of battery heat, long term current draw causes some heat in the battery which can cause plate warping. I have had batteries that tested good but would keep dying due to heating & cooling cycles causing the plates to warp. New battery solved the problem, but be aware that even new batteries can sometimes be bad. Hope this helps.
    Mine isnt that advanced. I can hear the solenoid flutter when it happens.

I just wish it was as smart as my wife's T&C. it tuns off the domes after 15 minutes.

Expert

User Info Menu

This is what I own.
    https://www.amazon.com/Clore-Automot...1-88ac31ad8f28

But it charges with 115 VAC

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast