• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I know things run in cycles.
    I sort of hope these runs are short, then again, they are fruitful for me.

Twice now, in the past three weeks, I've been asked to do a "B&E" (breaking and entering) on a residence in the presence of police.
    Seems tenants in Lafayette are changing the locks on the homes they rent. Once evicted, the landlords can't get in.
    The same sheriffs deputy showed up both times. I told him, "We're going to have to stop meeting like this..."

Being a contractor, I also get the job of repairing damages to the rentals, including caused by trying to gain access.
    Yesterday I managed to jimmy a slider door that had a cheap steel broom handle in the bottom rail for a block.
    I bounced the door against the broom handle a half dozen times and bent the rod far enough for me to squeeze by.

No damage caused by the entry, but OMG, once inside it smelled like someone died in there!
    After an inspection, the culprit was found to be the dishwasher, full of dirty dishes, rotted food, and a pool of mold covered stagnant water in the bottom.
    The dishwasher may be toast, not sure yet. After a drowning in bleach and evacuating the water with a wet-vac, 90% of the smell is gone.

Now we get to remove the ruined carpets and install vinyl plank flooring.
    I have a small trailer we use to haul trash.
    This one is going to take a minimum of 5 or 6 loads to the dump.

Some-one is NOT going to get their deposit back!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Having worked in and around such places it amazes me how some people live.
    Section 8 especially. Some were amazingly clean and well kept while others were just **** holes.
    One basement was so full of trash bags and mice I could not and would not get down to the furnace until it was cleaned out. The house was occupied.
    There have been worse.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The people that "live" this way go thru life as nothing more than leaches taking advantage of others. I did the landlord thing for a short time, two tenants to be exact. The property belonged to the ex wife and this occurred while we were still married. She had a friend going thru a bad divorce and needed a place to stay, you know the sob story, "I'll pay what I can and help restore the place to original condition, blah, blah, blah." After a year rent free (remember this is the exes friend going thru some rough times) she had saved enough to put a 20K down payment on a house in the nice section of town, disappeared from our property unannounced and we only found out about it when we got a notice from the city because it hadn't been mowed in months. Mind you the ex and her worked together so it wasn't like it was inconvenient to let us know they had moved out!

The second tenant paid on time and wasn't a problem to get out as they were military. They did lose their deposit due to some damages that weren't apparent but after they got out there was several thousand dollars in damages that they had managed to disguise while living in it. And the roaches! Never again.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We've had a neighbor for the past two years that the county finally managed to evict. I haven't seen the inside of the house but it took 4 count 'em 4 large roll-offs to clean up the 1/2 acre lot, a lot with a 1500 sq ft house on it, a 1000 sq ft pole barn and two 15 sq ft mini barns so you can imagine the mess in the back yard. Of course the front yard wasn't pretty either.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Please tell me that once you get the lock picked or entree is established you do a right/left situation assessment and act surprised that there is a cop there as if to say "Oh, you scared me, I forgot I was supposed to be doing this this time."

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Have an Auntie and Uncle down south that own 30 plus rental units. They've seen everything from hoarders (floor to ceiling-can't get in the place) to dead tenants that are not discovered for months. Not a profession for the weak-of-heart.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I had to do a B&E at a customer's house once. I arrived, and his 4-year old had locked the door from the house to the garage while he was out shoveling snow. His wife was at the hair salon, so I let him use my phone to try and call her. After not being able to reach her, I took a look at the situation. In-swing door, deadbolt not engaged. I pulled out my sam's club card and was in the house in about 15 seconds. The look on his face was priceless!

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I had to do a B&E at a customer's house once. I arrived, and his 4-year old had locked the door from the house to the garage while he was out shoveling snow. His wife was at the hair salon, so I let him use my phone to try and call her. After not being able to reach her, I took a look at the situation. In-swing door, deadbolt not engaged. I pulled out my sam's club card and was in the house in about 15 seconds. The look on his face was priceless!
    And then you handed him the bill. :rockwoot:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Please tell me that once you get the lock picked or entree is established you do a right/left situation assessment and act surprised that there is a cop there as if to say "Oh, you scared me, I forgot I was supposed to be doing this this time."

Yes! While performing my very best Bill Murray imitation from Caddy Shack...

"Licensed by the U.N. to hunt gophers at will".

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ahhh....You have much to learn young padawan. The tool of choice should be a crappy membership club card....very bendy yet sturdy. LOL!

My latest is the JT Mega card. Or so I heard, from a friend, yeah that's it. :):

Yes master. I see.

I have broken the card you speak of in these attempts. :):

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    When I was at the university, I carried a set of "master" keys. When those didn't work (not like Facilities really kept track of locks), I used my staff ID card. Only a handful of doors I couldn't jimmy. Two of them were doors *I* had installed, and asked that the doors swung in from the hallway, letting the steel door jamb block the latch.

When my boss wouldn't approve purchasing some security equipment, I showed him how easy it was to get in most rooms. We started installing security about a week later.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    When I was at the university, I carried a set of "master" keys. When those didn't work (not like Facilities really kept track of locks), I used my staff ID card. Only a handful of doors I couldn't jimmy. Two of them were doors *I* had installed, and asked that the doors swung in from the hallway, letting the steel door jamb block the latch.

When my boss wouldn't approve purchasing some security equipment, I showed him how easy it was to get in most rooms. We started installing security about a week later.

I showed a manager at a gas station I worked at that I could get into their drop-safe without tools.
    Someone had forgotten to weld the roller stud to the threads.
    I reached inside and grabbed the nut, then turned the drum handle and I was in.
    I pushed the drum aside and retrieved a drop envelope full of cash.

There was a welder there the next day.

Top Bottom