• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    So, for a good long while now, most cars and trucks have come with an auto setting for lights, yet I constantly still hear about people who left their lights on or see vehicles on the street in the dark who don't have their lights on. Are people ignorant, stupid, or is it something else? Is there some magic benefit to not using the auto setting? I had my 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix for 15 years and never once took the lights off auto. I've had my new Mazda for a few months now and have also had it set to auto the whole time. Never had any issues and am happy to have one less thing to worry about. Just has me scratching my head... :scratch:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    As a general rule, people are idiots. Every single time I am out in the dark, someone doesn't have their lights on. Every single time I am out during the day, someone is driving around with their brights on.

My 2009 truck has "auto" lights. I leave it in that setting, for the most part. I do occasionally switch them on manually if it is foggy during the day.

My wife's 2017 Jeep has manual lights. Hard to forget to turn them off, as it beeps/dings when you turn off the key.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Maybe they have the "old fashioned" kind of cars that don't have auto lights? Or maybe "auto" is too confusing for them?

It's not that the cars or older or anything as I've seen people driving new/newer cars with lights off at night. I'm going with the second part of your statement... :n00b:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    [rant]
    I despise the auto setting. and "running" lights.

people have no clue that are times they can or should turn their damn lights off.
    they also have no clue when they should turn them on when the sensor doesn't say it's dark enough, eg in rain or fog, etc.
    driving on a road with tree cover, even over passes, and it gets annoying when the car's lights behind you keep going on and off due to the shade.

example: I drove the kids down to the bus stop this morning, as did my neighbor who parked behind me. I had to adjust my mirror so I didn't have to be blinded by her headlights for the 3-4 minutes we waited...

I have never used the auto setting on any vehicle.
    correction: I used it on a couple of rental cars that had weird, hard to find switches...

I also have never forgotten to use them.

when did we get so lazy and inattentive that we can't flip a switch to turn on or turn off our headlights?

[/rant]

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    A couple of years ago my wife got her 1st car with auto lights but she refuses to use that setting. She wants to feel like she;s doing something:scratch:. I don't get the reasoning but every time I get in the car and set them to auto.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Both my current and previous car has had auto and I used them, my wife’s 2009 Nissan Rogue doesnt though. Some cars drl’s are bright enough to think you have your headlights on, especially in the city. My wife got pulled over years ago in her car for not having lights on when she thought she did. I don’t see the auto headlight problem as much as current made cars (like a Lincoln mkc) have such bright lights, I think they have their brights on. People flash me in my equinox from time to time thinking my brights are on. My headlights are aimed right and level also. I do occasionally manually turn on them in my car (snow or rain, going through a tunnel), but most of the time let my led drl’s do the job.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    [rant]

people have no clue that are times they can or should turn their damn lights off.
    they also have no clue when they should turn them on when the sensor doesn't say it's dark enough, eg in rain or fog, etc.
    driving on a road with tree cover, even over passes, and it gets annoying when the car's lights behind you keep going on and off due to the shade.

example: I drove the kids down to the bus stop this morning, as did my neighbor who parked behind me. I had to adjust my mirror so I didn't have to be blinded by her headlights for the 3-4 minutes we waited...

correction: I used it on a couple of rental cars that had weird, hard to find switches...

when did we get so lazy and inattentive that we can't flip a switch to turn on or turn off our headlights?

[/rant]

Having lived in Florida long enough with their "If the wipers are on, the headlights are on" law, it's second nature for me now to turn them on in the rain but do agree that technology is making us lazier/dumber by the day. I can't WAIT until the self drive cars become more common on the road.

Purple if necessary.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As cars become more and more automated the drivers become more and more.....well......fill in the blanks with your favorite term. Line crossing indicators that tell driver to put the damned phone down. To close or pedestrian auto braking that again tells the driver to put the damned phone down. Cars that park themselves. Sensors for the lights.
    GPS and all the wonderful automated extras. Now, when will they automate the turn signals.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    It's not that the cars or older or anything as I've seen people driving new/newer cars with lights off at night. I'm going with the second part of your statement... :n00b:

I suspect it is two things:
    1) people are so complacent because they are used to the cars doing automatic things that they just assume the lights are on, and maybe the switch got bumped (easy to do when lights/turn signal/brights, etc all combined on one lever), or the last person to drive it didn't have it on auto, etc...
    2) "running lights" can make you think the actual headlights are on because you see them reflect off the cars in front of you. running lights are the bandaid to the problem of people being too lazy to turn lights on in rain, fog, etc....

-rvb

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Both my current and previous car has had auto and I used them, my wife’s 2009 Nissan Rogue doesnt though. Some cars drl’s are bright enough to think you have your headlights on, especially in the city. My wife got pulled over years ago in her car for not having lights on when she thought she did. I don’t see the auto headlight problem as much as current made cars (like a Lincoln mkc) have such bright lights, I think they have their brights on. People flash me in my equinox from time to time thinking my brights are on. My headlights are aimed right and level also. I do occasionally manually turn on them in my car (snow or rain, going through a tunnel), but most of the time let my led drl’s do the job.

I have the same issue in my CX-5. I constantly have people flashing their lights at me like I have mine on hi-beam, but I don't (actually never use them).

I suspect it is two things:
    1) people are so complacent because they are used to the cars doing automatic things that they just assume the lights are on, and maybe the switch got bumped (easy to do when lights/turn signal/brights, etc all combined on one lever), or the last person to drive it didn't have it on auto, etc...
    2) "running lights" can make you think the actual headlights are on because you see them reflect off the cars in front of you. running lights are the bandaid to the problem of people being too lazy to turn lights on in rain, fog, etc....

-rvb

Those are definite possibilities.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    [rant]

[/rant]

Agreed, but there are some cars that have "daytime running lights" and that if the car is running you can't turn them off. My FJ is that way, and my wife's previous car (now the daughter's) Honda Pilot was that way. I can't stand it myself, but they can't be turned off without turning off the car.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I have the same issue in my CX-5. I constantly have people flashing their lights at me like I have mine on hi-beam, but I don't (actually never use them).

Those are definite possibilities.

I went from a 99 Jeep Cherokee with terrible lighting (before led lights got cheap enough and after upgrading the housing and wiring) that I really had to use my brights all the time at night. Then I got a 2009 accord. It had good lighting to start, then I put led bulbs in it. People flashed me all the time so I flashed back. My equinox has the best lighting. I have 180 degrees of view in front of me. I don’t know what bulbs I will put in my projector housing once one goes out. Probably due to the pia it is to replace them (open a 6” hole in wheel well and find the low beam bulb), I will probably spend the 100 dollars for led bulbs.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    [rant]

[/rant]
    So true that I must publicly rep you.

Agreed, but there are some cars that have "daytime running lights" and that if the car is running you can't turn them off. My FJ is that way, and my wife's previous car (now the daughter's) Honda Pilot was that way. I can't stand it myself, but they can't be turned off without turning off the car.
    Also true. I can't do drive-bys with my wife's Pilot because I can't turn off the headlights to creep up on 'em.

My gripe is the Chevy decision to turn on the backup lights when the car locks/unlocks. I've lost count of how many times I've stopped in parking lot to wait for the parked car to back out before realizing what was happening. WTF did someone think that was a good idea?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Some cars drl’s are bright enough to think you have your headlights on, especially in the city.

The problem is, some models used the high beams in series for DRLs. This made them dimmer, but the angle was still wrong. It was a cost cutting move, and I believe GM was the biggest offender (Shocked!).

As to lights on in fog/rain/etc... I think people don't realize lights aren't just for you to see, but to be seen. Drivers with frosted and fogged windows are out there, so do everything you can to prevent them from pulling out in front of you.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    So true that I must publicly rep you.

thanks, and back at ya for THIS:
    (except the system says I've rep'd you too much...)

My gripe is the Chevy decision to turn on the backup lights when the car locks/unlocks. I've lost count of how many times I've stopped in parking lot to wait for the parked car to back out before realizing what was happening. WTF did someone think that was a good idea?

I've done that so many times, and each time I'm all: :xmad:

-rvb

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I guess I have a higher tolerance for running lights and lights going on and off... :dunno:

:):

DRLs don't bother me quite as much, except:
    In the campground
    When we do the "drive through" Christmas lights displays
    When a car is parked curbside, especially near an intersection, and you can't tell if they are actually driving or parked (they shouldn't come on unless in gear, IMO).

If my next vehicle has them, I will be installing a switch...

-rvb

Top Bottom