• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Well I think this might be our last winter here. My wife has been trying to get us to move for a bit but I have been hesitant to give up what I know. House, job, comfortability, etc... I have NFA stuff and as best I can tell both of these states are NFA friendly. Wife also dropped Alabama but not sure about that one. I sell cars so I should be able to find something anywhere. I guess my question is this. My wife loves the beach which would push us towards FL but I am not crazy about hot as hell temps. Anyone know 1st hand some nice towns in either state. I have tried Google but.... Schools are important as well. Thanks for any advice.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Stay up in the panhandle and Florida is great, albeit a tourist trap.
    Then again, ALL of Florida is a tourist trap.

I lived in Pensacola for a while as a kid.
    Loved it then, but we're talking circa 1974.

I haven't been back to the area since, but the weather is almost always more temperate than the southern half of the state.
    In Pensacola you have the Gulf of Mexico at your back door.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Northern Georgia is beautiful. When I was working in AL, I would often take the motorcycle up to eastern TN or northern Georgia. Best motorcycle roads east of the Mississippi. I am looking at this with the bias of a motorcyclist, but I thought Florida was boring in comparison.

GA carry laws very similar to Indiana's. Shall issue. Open carry is legal with permit. No duty to inform officer.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I don't think its worth pulling kids from school and career moves. We plan on holding out until retirement.

I know two couples that moved to FL and moved right back. They couldn't stand the rain all the time and temps. I would agree on FL being a tourist trap. Luck they both got their jobs back minus seniority. Sure it was a huge hit to the bank account.

Make sure you know what you're doing is all I could suggest. I have another friend freshly retired. Was planning on FL move but he can't afford to live down there. They rent a trailer and go down for winter. Same with my neighbors and uncle. They rent a lot and park a trailer on it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Nope. No way. Home is home regardless. Our friends/family are here. Our circle of influence is here. We have people in Florida in some very nice places but we can drive/fly for the beach.

JMHO of course. Wish you luck and prosperity.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well I think this might be our last winter here. My wife has been trying to get us to move for a bit but I have been hesitant to give up what I know. House, job, comfortability, etc... I have NFA stuff and as best I can tell both of these states are NFA friendly. Wife also dropped Alabama but not sure about that one. I sell cars so I should be able to find something anywhere. I guess my question is this. My wife loves the beach which would push us towards FL but I am not crazy about hot as hell temps. Anyone know 1st hand some nice towns in either state. I have tried Google but.... Schools are important as well. Thanks for any advice.

Your wife's a keeper! What's wrong with Alabama, other than that school in Tuscaloosa?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I lived in N Georgia for about 3 years. Pretty country, people were mostly ok. Summers are hot and muggy, lots of bugs, winters are wet with some ice storms.
    I don't live there anymore, Indiana is home

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Your wife's a keeper! What's wrong with Alabama, other than that school in Tuscaloosa?

Fightin' words... Roll Tide.

For the OP, I was born and raised in FL, moved to Indy after getting married, and for job in 1994. I was in North East FL. Don't think I'd move back to that area. My family still lives there as do my inlaws. Not sure I'd move back to FL, at least the part I was from.

Northern FL is basically southern GA, middle of FL is pretty much where the snow birds & tourists go, and southern FL is like another country. No state income tax in FL, but cost of living generally not as good as Indy. When I was there, wages were not very good in FL overall, though there is obviously money there.

I also have in laws in GA, and my wife and I almost moved there instead of IN, but company I was looking to go there with did some reorgs, so we came here. I like GA, but never lived there so can't speak to taxes, etc too much.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Your wife loves the beach cause she doesn't live there. Her very first hurricane will remove that. I grew up in Georgia. I live here because winters here suck far less than summers do there. Unless swarms of mosquitoes, clouds of gnats and needing another shower 5 steps out the door are attractive to you, stay here and visit down there. Did I mention stifling humidity? Now if you really really are feeling masochistic and insist on moving...Georgia. Florida is the capital of two things: dumbasses and thunderstorms. Just don't.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Personally I'd go Georgia over Florida, but I'd likely move to South Carolina before I'd move to Georgia.

I lived in GA for 3 years. Bearable and not bad, great people. The pollen season in middle GA though is something else. It will literally cover your car in pale green dust.

FL-- NEVER.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Lived in Sarasota FL for nearly 20 years. White sandy beaches but population and living costs have soared since we left many years ago. Make sure you enjoy heat, humidity, rain, love bugs, palmetto bugs (flying roaches), heavy traffic, old drivers if you choose any of the mid-state tourist areas. Other than that, it’s a fine place! Oh, and don’t forget to enjoy the red tide if you’re near the coast - that was bad last year from what our relatives who still live there told us.

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Watch Florida closely in 2020. Much of your firearms may become illegal if the voter referendum on "assault weapons" is passed. It's def change my retirement plans. Its doubtful i'll be a permanent resident there.

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Yes the red made the beached unusable. You could smell rotting fish 15 miles from the coast in places. Venice had dolpins and manatees wash up. At its worst I couldn't go outside without wheezing and coughing. Was like that last June and Sept as well.

Lived in Sarasota FL for nearly 20 years. White sandy beaches but population and living costs have soared since we left many years ago. Make sure you enjoy heat, humidity, rain, love bugs, palmetto bugs (flying roaches), heavy traffic, old drivers if you choose any of the mid-state tourist areas. Other than that, it’s a fine place! Oh, and don’t forget to enjoy the red tide if you’re near the coast - that was bad last year from what our relatives who still live there told us.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    So, you want to trade actually mild winters (I lived in WI...they have winter) for hurricanes, killer bees, fire ants, crokygators and venomous snakes? Good luck with that.

In the Panhandle we like Destin, but it is the red neck Riviera. In GA we like Savannah.

Top Bottom