• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    ...Or any INGOer that has to give regular injections.

Im trying to find some heavy duty alcohol prep pads to use for cleaning surfaces, parts, etc. I figured those of you who use them regularly could tell me which ones are the best.

I had a bunch I bought years ago that were very nice. Very thick quilted cotton, and plenty of alcohol. They were awesome.

I ran out recently and without any consideration whatsoever, I bought a box at Kroger thinking pads, were pads, were pads. Boy was I wrong. These are tissue thin, and I'm using at least 2-3 pads for each use to get the same level of performance as the old ones.

So which ones are best?

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My wife is insulin dependent and she struggles to find decent alcohol wipes.
    So what she now gets are a pack of cotton make up pads (round discs) and just pours on some rubbing alcohol.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    I have used the BD brand and CVS generic pads and both did what I needed

I have been told by multiple Diabetic Educators that Alcohol Pads are not necessary - simply washing with Soap & Water is sufficient --

Coupled with the fact that every Injection (Needle) is Sterile and One-Time-Use results in minimal contamination ...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Curad brand (I buy them in 4 box packages at Costco) alcohol laden and as thick as felt.

Awesome. I'll give those a try. Sounds like what I had.

I have used the BD brand and CVS generic pads and both did what I needed

I have been told by multiple Diabetic Educators that Alcohol Pads are not necessary - simply washing with Soap & Water is sufficient --

Coupled with the fact that every Injection (Needle) is Sterile and One-Time-Use results in minimal contamination ...

Quiet, you! You arent helping. Soap and water doesnt help me prepare a surface for adhesive. :):

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you will be using Adhesive ( like a Insulin Pod ) ... that will require Shaving the area ... and the Itching when it Regrows and you put the Pod on the Other Side

From my OP: "Im trying to find some heavy duty alcohol prep pads to use for cleaning surfaces, parts, etc."

I'm a technical user, not a medical user. I use it before applying adhesives, glues, velcro, etc. (to plastic parts)

If my electronic devices need a shave, something is horribly wrong. LOL

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    From my OP: "Im trying to find some heavy duty alcohol prep pads to use for cleaning surfaces, parts, etc."

I'm a technical user, not a medical user. I use it before applying adhesives, glues, velcro, etc. (to plastic parts)

If my electronic devices need a shave, something is horribly wrong. LOL

Better electronic devices than your palms. Just sayin'. :)

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN

Sorry --- my bad for not paying attention

Several of Modern Cleaners do not play well with Plastics -- streaks or even dissolving the Plastic

Back in the Navy we used Carbon-Tetra-Chloride ( Dry Cleaning Solvent ) ... but then they found it causes Cancer in Mice --- maybe if you wore Gloves & don't inhale ?

I have also use Liquid Freon as a non-residue cleaner for Keypads (Cellphone)-- but its hard to find anymore

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Whatever work buys is great for cleaning electronics, etc. I swipe them to fix & clean stuff at work all the time (I don't have any at home right now). I'll get you a brand name in case you want to try something else.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Whatever work buys is great for cleaning electronics, etc. I swipe them to fix & clean stuff at work all the time (I don't have any at home right now). I'll get you a brand name in case you want to try something else.

You know me, always good to have a plan B.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    One brand / p/n we use is Covidien Webcol 5110.
    We use another one in a red colored packet but don't have one handy atm.

Another handy little thing I use is a ChloraPrep Single Swabstick. Great for reaching up inside of printers & such.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My word is on the line here, c'mon Curad don't let me down..... “The suspense is terrible, I hope it’ll last,”

Just got them. Still not as good as the old ones, but close enough. They're gonna work. Thanks again.

I dont think they even make them that thick anymore.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm going to thread jack a little bit.

Is there anybody out there that has advice for having an insulin plan as part of their preps?

My girlfriend has a young son with type 1 diabetes and she's concerned about having enough insulin should there be some kind of supply chain disruption or economic issue.

I hear Insulin is restricted and has a shelf life of about a year so it's not like rice or MREs where one could stock up with several years' supply. So how do you prep for life sustaining meds?

I think she has about a six months supply if the medical system or drug production collapsed overnight. I can't imagine many scenarios where the supply of insulin would be cut off for that long.

Any diabetics with advice?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I'm going to thread jack a little bit.

Is there anybody out there that has advice for having an insulin plan as part of their preps?

My girlfriend has a young son with type 1 diabetes and she's concerned about having enough insulin should there be some kind of supply chain disruption or economic issue.

I hear Insulin is restricted and has a shelf life of about a year so it's not like rice or MREs where one could stock up with several years' supply. So how do you prep for life sustaining meds?

I think she has about a six months supply if the medical system or drug production collapsed overnight. I can't imagine many scenarios where the supply of insulin would be cut off for that long.

Any diabetics with advice?
    Not a diabetic, but for an insulin dependent diabetic long term SHTF, raise pigs and find someone who can process it from their pancreas. That's about it I'm pretty sure.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    I use U500 (concentrated) in 10 ml vials - my last order has a expire date of 2022-04-20 ... refrigerate until needed - then use within 30 days

Top Bottom