• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    What a putz, way to ruin your family's life. I hope they throw the book at him.

SNYDER GUILTY
    Standing on the courthouse plaza holding the hand of his wife, Deborah, the disgraced former mayor said the jury "knocked one of the charges out."
    But in posting the guilty verdict to two other felony charges, the jury also knocked Snyder out of the mayor's office.
    Under Indiana law, a felony conviction immediately removes an elected official from public office.
    Snyder, who was in the last year of his second term, will temporarily be replaced by Portage City Council President Sue Lynch, D-at-large.
    She will serve as acting mayor until Portage Republican precinct committee members can elect someone to fulfill Snyder's term in a special caucus. Snyder's existing term was set to expire Dec. 31.
    Jurors found Snyder guilty of accepting a $13,000 bribe from former Great Lakes Peterbilt owners Bob and Steve Buha in exchange for some $1.25 million in garbage truck bids. They also found him guilty of a tax obstruction charge in which he was accused of creating a sham company to hide money from the IRS.
    Snyder was acquitted on a third charge, which alleged he accepted a $12,000 bribe from former co-defendant John Cortina and Samson Towing owner Scott Jurgensen, also an undercover FBI informant, to put the duo on the city's tow list.
    Snyder contended throughout the 19-day trial the funds were a $2,000 contribution to his campaign committee and a $10,000 loan to his campaign.
    A look back at the trial of former Portage Mayor James Snyder
    Cortina pleaded guilty last month to a felony charge of paying Snyder the bribe and is scheduled to be sentenced in April.
    Jurors deliberated nearly 12 hours over two days in the trial, which saw more than 20 witnesses and more than 15 days of testimony.
    The investigation into Snyder began in September 2013 and led to a November 2016 grand jury indictment of Snyder and Cortina.
    "This has been a really long road," Snyder said as he left the courthouse.
    As the verdict was read, neither Snyder, his wife nor his parents showed any emotion to the convictions.
    Snyder's contempt for the government prosecution, however, was evident.
    Following the reading of the verdict, U.S. District Court Judge Joseph Van Bokkelen and others discussed Snyder's decision to waive a jury hearing on the forfeiture of $13,000 resulting from the bribery conviction.
    Van Bokkelen, who said he had never dealt with the issue in a similar way, asked Assistant U.S. Attorney Philip Benson for advice.
    Snyder asked the judge why he was asking the government prosecutor for advice and not Snyder's own attorney.
    "It's really hard to take his word for anything," Snyder said, directing his comment toward Benson.
    Unlike during Tuesday's closing arguments, which saw a packed courtroom of Snyder's friends and family, only a handful of family members and friends were present when the verdict was read Thursday.
    Snyder said the jurors saw beyond the allegations in the towing-related bribery charge, which led to an acquittal on that charge.
    He said he will continue to fight the conviction, presumably through appeal.
    One of his attorneys, Jackie Bennett, said during the afternoon courtroom session they have "reserved a number of issues for appeal."
    Snyder is scheduled to be sentenced at 11 a.m. May 24 before Van Bokkelen.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    In a small-world observation, I believe the attorney Jackie Bennett was on Ken Starr's staff for the Clinton impeachment.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have a hard time getting worked up about this. I would like to hear some analysis regarding whether the city lost money as a result of this. If not....meh, someone's got to have the contract.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I have a hard time getting worked up about this. I would like to hear some analysis regarding whether the city lost money as a result of this. If not....meh, someone's got to have the contract.

Only city money? no concern for competitors who lost getting the contract because of the bribe?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The closer you get to Chicago, the closer you get to the cesspool.

Well.

A cesspool.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI

If you want to watch a majority of the story unfold, hop on YouTube and watch the City Council Meetings as they go through emails, letters, and employee discussions. Bid requirements were pigeon-holed so specific vendors would get contracts. Some few bids were also only given to select vendors. A fiscally responsible act would have opened up bids to the entire region.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    "Putz"?.....I think it's more like shmuck :dunno:

I'm down with that. I could think of a whole bunch of words! It's going to be interesting to see what happens. Typically when a new Mayor comes on board they bring in a new administration with them. I think the current administration minus the knucklehead former Mayor are doing a good job for the city.

Last edited:

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I'm down with that. I could think of a whole bunch of words! It's going to be interesting to see what happens. Typically when a new Mayor comes on board they bring in a new administration with them. I think the current administration minus the knucklehead former Mayor are doing a good job for the city.

They are trying to run the office in collaboration. Cannon will likely be the only Republican canidate to run and fill that spot. He's very approachable and helped derail that ridiculous no guns in the city limits issue.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    They are trying to run the office in collaboration. Cannon will likely be the only Republican canidate to run and fill that spot. He's very approachable and helped derail that ridiculous no guns in the city limits issue.

I completely forgot about that no guns in the city limits fiasco. Good on him.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    By "compete", do you mean make a bid or offer with a higher bribe? I don't mean for that to sound as snarky as it reads but at the same time I'm curious what you mean

Let me be a little more clear, and serious.

Generally speaking, I feel like money crimes deserve money punishments and prison is useless.

Also, I have a hard time getting too worked up about the way things have always worked. Wrong? Sure, but it's the way it worked. Sure, that's not good, but I'm not living in some sort of fantasy world where public servants serve the public.

They are all corrupt to some extent or another. Some of them, their corruption is legal. The wield power to satisfy their own egos and to NIMBY for themselves and others while promising they are serving the public interest. They approve measures to maximize tax revenue rather than for the best interests of the community. They make sure their friends and benefactors interests get attention ahead of the general public. All legal. All corrupt.

I don't see a huge difference between that and out-and-out bribery.

The politicians crowing about Snyder (rightfully, apparently) going down? You can't trust them any further than Snyder.

No, I'm not going to do cartwheels over this verdict because, in the end, it won't make a bit of difference.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Let me be a little more clear, and serious.

Generally speaking, I feel like money crimes deserve money punishments and prison is useless.

Also, I have a hard time getting too worked up about the way things have always worked. Wrong? Sure, but it's the way it worked. Sure, that's not good, but I'm not living in some sort of fantasy world where public servants serve the public.

They are all corrupt to some extent or another. Some of them, their corruption is legal. The wield power to satisfy their own egos and to NIMBY for themselves and others while promising they are serving the public interest. They approve measures to maximize tax revenue rather than for the best interests of the community. They make sure their friends and benefactors interests get attention ahead of the general public. All legal. All corrupt.

I don't see a huge difference between that and out-and-out bribery.

The politicians crowing about Snyder (rightfully, apparently) going down? You can't trust them any further than Snyder.

No, I'm not going to do cartwheels over this verdict because, in the end, it won't make a bit of difference.

As a lawyer, your attitude surprises me. I won't quibble about "that's the way it's always been", but if a guy breaks the public trust by taking a bribe, I want him to serve some time. You don't think it's a deterrent at all? I know a local county sheriff that's serving some serious time for being stupid. Believe me; it ruined his day, and several more years of his life, by being stupid. Maybe the next guy will think twice? I mean, let's say you get your $20k or 30k bribe. Is it really worth several years of your life? Just curious how you form your opinion on this.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Public money crimes, deserve criminal punishment involving harsh jail time. To deter the crime from happening it can't be put into the context where leadership looks at it as just a cost of doing business.

The mayor should spend the next 10 years picking up trash along the highway.

Hard public punishment.

Top Bottom