May 12, 2013
    Camby area

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    It's time for me to update to a newer Garmin anyway - I'm out of memory, and the SD card slot no longer works. I may not replace it however, because today on the way to work there was a bad wreck and the highway was closed, and we were being rerouted. Pulled up Google Maps on my phone and it already new of this and routed me correctly around the detour. My old Garman would have just kept wanting me to turn around and get back on the now closed road. Guess I need to find a way to mount the phone on the bikes. I had a RAM mount for the Garmin, so I'm guessing they have an adaptor that will fit cell phones.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If you have a really old, no longer supported GPS, it just may become a brick on April 6.

You have to be able to upgrade the firmware to mitigate what is essentially a "year 2k" type bug. If no firmware upgrade exists (like my Garmin Rinos) they likely will fail to operate after 4/5/19.

https://hardware.slashdot.org/story...n-april-6-if-you-dont-or-cant-update-firmware

Well... if the software engineer wasn't a complete neanderthal then it was designed to handle this properly to begin with.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Somewhere in my closet I have a Garmin GPS 40 (I think) that I bought in about 1995 or so... was the smallest available...while I was assigned to the GPS Joint Program Office in Los Angeles. Basically gave position, speed and heading (if moving), and a very coarse breadcrumb trail. No maps, no color, tiny screen. So it has existed through two epoch turnovers. May have to dig it out and see if it still works.

Despite it's limited user interface, it came in very handy when I was stationed in Saudi Arabia a couple years later.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Hough, you know that movie is a pretty accurate portrayal, right?

You, the lawyer, get folksy shows like Matlock, sexy shows like L.A. Law, and riveting shows like Law & Order (the 2nd half).

I, the software engineer, get Office Space, and the short lived Dilbert TV show.

Come to think of it, I think I won. ;)

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I wonder if this will affect GPS provided by automakers on older cars?

I suspect that NOBODY has worse software engineers than the automakers. Consider the infotainment on most cars, you'll I'm right.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I suspect that NOBODY has worse software engineers than the automakers. Consider the infotainment on most cars, you'll I'm right.

As someone who's worked there, I can confirm.

Thankfully, the GPS receivers are made by professionals instead of them.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Hough, you know that movie is a pretty accurate portrayal, right?

You, the lawyer, get folksy shows like Matlock, sexy shows like L.A. Law, and riveting shows like Law & Order (the 2nd half).

I, the software engineer, get Office Space, and the short lived Dilbert TV show.

Come to think of it, I think I won. ;)

My Dad was a software engineer starting in the punchcard days up into the '90s.

Well, with some firmware thrown in for fun...

He wrote the software for these, blood and urine analysis equipment:

915916.jpg

s-l300.jpg

a7316fed7b0ec067abf2d80eae2544daf0b5642d.jpeg

etc., etc. Even had some patents.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    So, you're saying my Magellan GPS NAV 1000M from Desert Storm may not work this April? I guess I'll have to load up the batteries and see come then.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So, you're saying my Magellan GPS NAV 1000M from Desert Storm may not work this April? I guess I'll have to load up the batteries and see come then.

Im not throwing my units out just yet. Im curious to see what they do as well.

Though not looking forward to the actual wait when I fire it up. Mine take at least 5-10 minutes to get a lock on the first 3 satellites and finally calculate its initial position. But hey, its 1st gen consumer grade stuff. Cant complain too much.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have a hopelessly out of date Garmin nuvi (can't remember the exact model). It's only out of date because I'm too cheap to pay for the updates (and I rarely use it). Guess I'll see if I notice a change in April. I find myself using Google Maps on my phone more than the Garmin these days.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have a hopelessly out of date Garmin nuvi (can't remember the exact model). It's only out of date because I'm too cheap to pay for the updates (and I rarely use it). Guess I'll see if I notice a change in April. I find myself using Google Maps on my phone more than the Garmin these days.

Try downloading the update software. They may still allow you to update the firmware to fix it, while not updating the maps.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

I'm not a fan of the software on yokogawa process transmitters.

Top Bottom