Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 387 of 439 FirstFirst ... 287 337 377 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 397 437 ... LastLast
Results 3,861 to 3,870 of 4385

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2A_Tom View Post
    This could be posted in the Military BS stories instead of here in the Motorcycle Safety Thread.

He landed square on his butt and slid for a great distance, until he got down to about 10 or 15 MPH, then he started tumbling until he stopped. Of course they were not wearing helmets, just biker boots, heavy jeans and leather vests.

When they got to the guy he was in pain. His head was unhurt. The seat of his jeans and most of the skin on his butt were gone.
    I wouldn't be surprised if most of his butt was gone too.

There are actually wear ratings for various materials, blue jeans are probably the worst.

Heavy leather will wear through in 6 seconds.
    Denim blue jeans wear through instantly upon the initiation of a skid, literally shred in less than 1/2 second.

Most good riding pants will have a 6 second wear rating and most of those have some sort of Kevlar, Covex or similar liner or threads woven into the outer fabric. Occasionally you see riding pants with no rating (5-11 brand offers those and I don't even know how/why they are riding pants), some budget pants are rated for about 4 seconds. To save $$ you can buy some pants without armor and, if you have 1 set of removable armor just move the armor pads to the pants you plan to use.

Honestly if you figure that you are likely to roll and tumble in addition to sliding, seems like 4 seconds might actually be pretty good?

We have stuff rated at 6+ seconds and some of our riding pants/jeans/cargos were under $100. That seems like pretty cheap protection from road rash (or worse).

User Info Menu

I was looking at some riding pants, I can't remember who made them but they were jeans with Kevlar, which I assume provides an exception to blue jeans being the worst. I believe they were armored too. But thanks for all the advice I'll have to look more into these things.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tv1217 View Post
    I was looking at some riding pants, I can't remember who made them but they were jeans with Kevlar, which I assume provides an exception to blue jeans being the worst. I believe they were armored too. But thanks for all the advice I'll have to look more into these things.
    The Kevlar weave gives the protection from abrasion so it eliminates the road rash. Problem with Kevlar is it breaks down in sunlight so itís better to have Kevlar lining than Kevlar woven into the denim if you ride a lot in the sun. Otherwise just plan to replace them every 3 years.

Certified Bro Shark Ballstater98's Avatar

User Info Menu

Ran a load of brush and downed trees to the compost site, kid's soccer game, Dunes Apple Fest, Hooked On Art Festival, run to Valpo, move some dirt beating the rain...

In other news, Ball State is currently beating NC State on ESPN U. I will continue to pray. Lol
    Lifetime LTCH; Lifetime NRA Member; Maker's Mark Ambassador #780040; GOA Member #23463299

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ballstater98 View Post
    Ran a load of brush and downed trees to the compost site, kid's soccer game, Dunes Apple Fest, Hooked On Art Festival, run to Valpo, move some dirt beating the rain...

In other news, Ball State is currently beating NC State on ESPN U. I will continue to pray. Lol
    I thought you were supposed to rest from work on the weekends.
    Knowledge keeps one from being vulnerable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chef larry View Post
    It may explain when I get sick (which is thankfully rare) why I crash so hard. If the 2-3" of rain falls, my lazy day will commence...maybe. It must be from being a farm kid...always something to do.
    Lifetime LTCH; Lifetime NRA Member; Maker's Mark Ambassador #780040; GOA Member #23463299

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chef larry View Post
    Come on now. He's a teacher. The real work is the yardwork

User Info Menu

Thankfully the 2 fests are like 3 miles apart with the kid's nap in between. I will say the https://www.hookedonartfestival.com/ was interesting. They close off the street and most of the chalk drawing was better than I could do. The 3D looking ones are way out my wheelhouse.

User Info Menu

Also, the neighbors and us scored some extra free custard from Culver's at the end. They handed out free hearty samples then they didn't want to drag any extra back to the store. I can appreciate that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ballstater98 View Post
    Also, the neighbors and us scored some extra free custard from Culver's at the end. They handed out free hearty samples then they didn't want to drag any extra back to the store. I can appreciate that.
    Priceless.

Knowledge keeps one from being vulnerable.