• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    A buddy has a vehicle that he wants to sell on the open market. It has a salvage title because it has hail damage that exceeded the value of the vehicle to repair. It's mechanically sound, it just looks like a golf ball.

According to what we've read online, he has to file for a rebuilt title and certify that it has been repaired. Does he have to actually do this if the damages are purely cosmetic?

Seems ridiculous, but that's the government for you. :):

Is the paperwork just a formality, or do you have to back it up with documentation that you've knocked the hundred or so divots out of it. Is he stuck with just selling it to a salvage yard without having to go through a bunch of BS?

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    And remember that it's only worth what someone will pay for it; Kelly, NADA and all of those other valuations are meaningless. Anything other than a clean standard title render the car essentially worthless in the bank or insurance company eye. Insurance will cover it and they will TELL you it is fully covered but dare make a claim on it and you'll find out real quick what they think of that title.

I bought a sweet BMW 540i M Sport a couple of years ago with a rebuilt title and finally sold it due to the cost of the 150k mile breakdowns it was beginning to suffer and was fortunate in finding someone that wanted it almost as bad as I did when I bought it. When I called to insure it they told me they would treat it as a clean title but I could never get them to give that to me in writing but got lucky and never had to file a claim on it.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    I have bought & sold a couple of vehicles with salvage titles (an 88 Bronco II, a 99 Cheokee, a 01 Honda motorcycle, and the 11 Kia minivan I'm driving right now). I don't recall any additional paperwork as opposed to a non-salvage vehicle. Nor have I had any problems insuring salvage title vehicles.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I have bought & sold a couple of vehicles with salvage titles (an 88 Bronco II, a 99 Cheokee, a 01 Honda motorcycle, and the 11 Kia minivan I'm driving right now). I don't recall any additional paperwork as opposed to a non-salvage vehicle. Nor have I had any problems insuring salvage title vehicles.

Just curious, have you ever filed a claim on one of them and how did they handle it?

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    My understanding is while a vehicle with salvage title can be conveyed, it can not registered to be driven on public highway, whereas a vehicle with rebuilt title in addition to being conveyed, can be registered and driven on public hwy. Do I have this correct?

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    Just curious, have you ever filed a claim on one of them and how did they handle it?
    I was in an accident with my Bronco II, my fault, but I had full coverage (making payments)... Per my policy, I was provided a rental vehicle for a week or two while it was in the shop, and repairs were made. I was young & stupid (i.e. in college), but I don't recall any issues with coverage.

Top Bottom