fighting for a miserable job (any unemployment experts here?)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Your opinion?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

henry0reilly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I work for a retail company that has new stores popping up like mushrooms. Been with them for almost 4 years. Three years ago I took on another job that only needs me for 11 days per month (but pays really well). I went to the store manager and gave notice that I would be giving notice as soon as I had a date to go "live" on the second job. She insisted that the store wanted me to stay even with availaiblity limited to 18 days per month.

Last spring, that manager took family leave and the acting manager (someone I had helped train) immediately tried to get me fired. The family issues became serious, the manager that hired me never came back, and the acting manager became the store manager. I transferred to the other nearby store which was much bigger, chronically understaffed, and always a mess.

The manager who got promoted to store manager by circumstances was in no way qualified for the job and was demoted fairly quickly. (In retrospsect I should have toughed it out working at that store.) The manager of the larger store I transferred to, who had been there since the doors opened, was (unfairly) dismissed. His replacement brought with her the same idiot that I transferred to get away from.

I've just been (unofficially) informed that if I want to keep working for this company I'll have to commute to other stores that are 30 or more miles from home. No word yet on whether this will involve additional compensation or paid driving time.

If this was my only job, I know I would definitely be qualified for unemployment. Unless the district manager is offering serious compensation for this change I'll be filing for unemployment and arguing that it should continue until I find another 18 days per month job.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    You’re pretty much screwed. You are not unemployed, therefor even if you are entitled to something, it won’t amount to anything. Even working 1 or two days during a benefit week sees benefits slashed to near nothing.

henry0reilly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Can you survive on the other full time job and spend the additional free time taking online college courses?

I work only 11 days per month with my non-retail job. As for college, I got a Bachelor's Degree when I was 47 years old and can't find any work in that field. I gave up even applying after a couple years of interviews with no results.

You’re pretty much screwed. You are not unemployed, therefor even if you are entitled to something, it won’t amount to anything. Even working 1 or two days during a benefit week sees benefits slashed to near nothing.

I know the benefits wouldn't be much, if anything, but if corporate HR thinks I have a case they might insist that the DM let me continue to work in one of the local stores.

Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    I work only 11 days per month with my non-retail job. As for college, I got a Bachelor's Degree when I was 47 years old and can't find any work in that field. I gave up even applying after a couple years of interviews with no results.

What is your Bachelor's in?

As far as the job I would stop fighting to work somewhere that obviously doesn't value you and instead values ass kissing low level management. Find somewhere that does value you and you will be a much happier person with better long term health.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Anecdotally I've heard that there aren't too many people out there that do work in their field of education. My BS in aeronautical science isn't tailored to my current position but my employer did recognize the similarities. I added a more specialized (to the career field I'm in) AS a couple of years ago and don't plan to look back. It sounds like you're looking for something VERY specific so good luck. When you start putting limitations on they type of employment, number of days and other conditions your options from a legal standpoint will probably shrink dramatically. To put this in perspective, I'll be turning 60 in a few months.:runaway:

Good luck.

henry0reilly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I have a Bachelor of Social Work. I had intended to work with veterans but congress has protected our veterans from substandard care by requiring social workers at the VA to have MSW. After 4 years I was so sick of the ivy tower liberal crap I couldn't stand another 5 semesters to get my masters.

At the time of my original post it slipped my mind that I have a social work job lined up eventually with Pam's Promise Transitional Housing program - when they finally get funding for homeless males. I really need to contact them and see if I can help pursuing grants for that.

Maximum state benefits is $390.00 a week. If your other job pays more than $390.00 a week - you will not qualify for any benefits if you no longer have job #1.

The other job is only for 11 days per month. I worked an average of less than 50 hours per month in 2018. My thinking is I can argue that in the weeks I don't work the retail company should be paying me UI.

I'm not hurting, house and car paid for, wife works full time. btw I will be selling my deer rifle that I haven't used for years. Marlin 1894 .44 mag made in 1987. Watch for it in the market forum.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Why would you even want to continue working for these idiots. If they are that mis-managed and allow it I would be moving along.
    Just curious.

Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    I have a Bachelor of Social Work. I had intended to work with veterans but congress has protected our veterans from substandard care by requiring social workers at the VA to have MSW. After 4 years I was so sick of the ivy tower liberal crap I couldn't stand another 5 semesters to get my masters.

At the time of my original post it slipped my mind that I have a social work job lined up eventually with Pam's Promise Transitional Housing program - when they finally get funding for homeless males. I really need to contact them and see if I can help pursuing grants for that.

The other job is only for 11 days per month. I worked an average of less than 50 hours per month in 2018. My thinking is I can argue that in the weeks I don't work the retail company should be paying me UI.

I'm not hurting, house and car paid for, wife works full time. btw I will be selling my deer rifle that I haven't used for years. Marlin 1894 .44 mag made in 1987. Watch for it in the market forum.

Can you transfer credits into a degree that might be more universally applied? Social Worker positions aren't exactly growing on trees especially when you only want to work with Veterans.

The other option is to get into a field that has good growth potential and isn't in a retail setting. The automotive industry has been very good for me, to the point that next summer my PharmD wife will become a stay at home mom while I shoulder the financial burden.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Why would you even want to continue working for these idiots. If they are that mis-managed and allow it I would be moving along.
    Just curious.

My thoughts also. According to you, they wrongly or unfairly dismissed someone. What makes you think that won't happen to you? If it pays well, and you want the money, do the job and quit complaining. If it's too much to deal with , find another place to work. Don't expect .gov to fix it for you.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    if i remember correctly when working u keep the first $78 u make then its a $ for $ loss. $390 gross a week is correct. with ur 2nd job not sure how that works

in 2014 i was on unemployment from a gravel pit and worked at the local school [thats where i work now] if i worked 1 day or 5 days i made the same. it was a 30 hr position. i still got $149 [i think] a week on unemployment plus the money from school.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I haven't read any comments or even the OPs post. I have only read this title.

fighting for a miserable job (any unemployment experts here?)

You have already answered your own question.
    I myself have quit a few jobs because I wasn't enjoying them as I should. This may sound stupid to some but if I'm not happy at work then I'm not working there. Regardless of the money I would be turning down, it's not worth it to me to stick with a miserable job for anything. I actually asked an owner once while interviewing me if his employees were happy. He said, "I don't know, they're not getting payed to be happy." He also wouldn't let me talk to any of them so I could ask either. So I walked away.

I ended up with a job that I loved. I couldn't wait to get up to be at work every day. Now how many people can honestly say that about their work. I've only met one other in my life so far.

henry0reilly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Thanks for the thoughts and the private message. I'm not going to give up my job that is only 11 days per month. I make as much from it as from the retail job and they just offered me health insurance.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Thanks for the thoughts and the private message. I'm not going to give up my job that is only 11 days per month. I make as much from it as from the retail job and they just offered me health insurance.
    Good luck. Hope you find what you are looking for in your employment quest.

Top Bottom