• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    What are you guys using for home security? I’ve never had anything other than myself . I was thinking about simplisafe or adt. Simplisafe seems more up my alley but I wasn’t sure how well it worked. I recently had what I thought was someone trying to break in about 3 am. I guess when they saw the gun they decided to leave.
    Unfortunately they decided to come back the next day while I was at work. They got their truck stuck in the mud and had to push it out but were unsuccessful in getting anything due to my German shepherd. I would just like to have some sort of alarm and cameras Incase they came back.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My security system includes 12 legs, 6 eyes, 6 ears, and a whole lot of teeth.
    You need at least two more German shepherds.

henry0reilly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I looked at systems on Amazon and whudda ya know, I started seeing advertisements for home security in emails and on social media. I'll be watching this thread to see what's recommended. For many years a german shepard was my only security.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    A word to the wise though, don't bother with the keychain remotes.

I'd say this about any system. Mine came with one and the installer said we shouldn't even bother to set it up, but still had him do it just in case (figured for my wife, possibly). Never used it. We almost always use the phone app for our system, while occasionally using the control pad. Kids use the control pad.

On a lot of systems now, especially the ones that integrate with alarm.com you can integrate additional items such as garage door openers, etc as they are using compatible API's & standards. As you are reviewing systems, this is something to look at (using open standards, do they integrate with equipment from other companies, etc).

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    I just added another dog but he is still a pup and not ready for anything other than belly rubs yet. Lol. I live in the county and only have two some what close neighbors so I alerted them as well. Luckily anything important my shepherd has access to. Unless they were to harm my dog they have little chance of getting in.
    I would just like to be able to have video proof someone has been there. And who it is. Honestly I have a brother that is a heroin addict and I suspect him but can’t prove it. I would love to see him go to jail if it’s him. It wouldn’t be the first time he has stolen from me.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I would just like to be able to have video proof someone has been there. And who it is. Honestly I have a brother that is a heroin addict and I suspect him but can’t prove it. I would love to see him go to jail if it’s him. It wouldn’t be the first time he has stolen from me.

Wow. That's a sad situation. Wishing the best for you and your brother.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I just added another dog but he is still a pup and not ready for anything other than belly rubs yet. Lol. I live in the county and only have two some what close neighbors so I alerted them as well. Luckily anything important my shepherd has access to. Unless they were to harm my dog they have little chance of getting in.

We had the same issues. I suspected our oldest son due to his drug/alcohol abuses.
    Once we put 14 cameras covering both houses the theft stopped. Imagine my surprise.

There are dozens of decent multi-camera systems available. I would stay away from the WiFi offerings.

Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    I will stay away from too many specifics but we have over a dozen window and door entry sensors, multiple motion detectors, glass break sensors, indoor 4K cameras designed to start recording the minute an entry is recorded, smoke alarms and water intrusion sensors. There is also a panic button in the master bedroom.

There may be more thorough systems but with the area we live in and the amount of neighbors we have outside at all times I'm not concerned with getting more.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    I know it sounds bad I would love to see him in jail but it’s long over due. He has stolen from me for years. My dad is a logger and the company he worked for went out of business due to poor decisions. I started a company of my own and bought multiple thousands in equipment and tools. Gave my dad the reins and hired my brother as a helper for him. Once things were going good I turned it over to my dad as his own business (I’m not a logger) but by that time my brother had stolen many thousand in saws and tools. That was it for me. I tried to give him a chance to turn around and he didn’t even try. I’d rather see him in prison where he can’t steal anything else from us.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know it sounds bad I would love to see him in jail but it’s long over due. He has stolen from me for years. My dad is a logger and the company he worked for went out of business due to poor decisions. I started a company of my own and bought multiple thousands in equipment and tools. Gave my dad the reins and hired my brother as a helper for him. Once things were going good I turned it over to my dad as his own business (I’m not a logger) but by that time my brother had stolen many thousand in saws and tools. That was it for me. I tried to give him a chance to turn around and he didn’t even try. I’d rather see him in prison where he can’t steal anything else from us.

I had (passed) a brother like this and a son that is pretty close. Like I said, or problems stopped when he heard of the security.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I was looking at Ring and Abode. I am waiting for the abode to show up. After reading lots and lots of reviews found Simplisafe not the way to go for my needs. Really depends on what you need and how much you are willing to spend a month.

Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    I was looking at Ring and Abode. I am waiting for the abode to show up. After reading lots and lots of reviews found Simplisafe not the way to go for my needs. Really depends on what you need and how much you are willing to spend a month.

Why was Simplisafe not the way to go for you?

Top Bottom