• ...and so much more!
  • worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Story time....

My wife had what was supposed to be a routine gallblader removal surgery on Jan 22nd. During that surgery my wife's bile duct was accidently severed. The surgeon admitted it was her error and appologized.
    Because of this accident, my wife has spent 3 1/2 weeks in the hospital and needed 6 additional surgeries. She is going home today with 2 drain lines sticking out her side with bags. In March she is scheduled for her final reconstruction surgery.

Both our families and our friends are almost all recomending that we speak with an attorney. Neither I nor my wife have sued anyone in our lives. I know that there are many that try to use the court system as a lottery, a practice I loathe. But many others agree that we have a legitimate grievance.

The only attorney we ever worked with was an adoption attorney who is now retired.

Am I correct in assuming we would need a "personal injury" attorney? I want to work with someone who is honest, reliable, respectable, and responds to communication. NOT an abulance chaser type (appologies to the INGO legal experts if that is offensive).

Please INGOterians, who would you recommend? Who do you have positive experiences with? Who would you personally trust for an issue of this type? I am not sure what to do or who I should be speaking with. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    6 additional surgeries? Mind sharing what those were? That seems excessive. Were the repeat procedures performed by the same surgeon?

I see people come back in with bile leaks but it’s rare. There is a certain percentage of people who have direct connections from liver to gallbladder without using the bile duct. Did the surgeon say she definitely nicked the bile duct?

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    6 additional surgeries? Mind sharing what those were? That seems excessive. Were the repeat procedures performed by the same surgeon?

I see people come back in with bile leaks but it’s rare. There is a certain percentage of people who have direct connections from liver to gallbladder without using the bile duct. Did the surgeon say she definitely nicked the bile duct?

Her bile duct was not "nicked", it was completely severed in two.

Last edited by a moderator:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Holy crap! Prayers for the wife to make a full recovery. Sounds like the IU doc knows his stuff. I believe you are looking for a medical malpractice attorney.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Wow buddy, sorry to hear that. Your poor wife.

A whipple is no joke. Hopefully she doesn’t need that. IU guys are pretty solid, hopefully they can help you.

I would try to avoid mentioning attorneys to the docs or badmouthing the other surgeon in front of current medical team. It never helps someone's care when it's well known the patient is going to be suing someone. It's just human nature to get defensive or try to avoid the situation.

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Medical malpractice is VERY difficult to prove in Indiana.

Probably so. Fine line between a complication and malpractice. If a doc admits a technical error that led to issues downstream they may be more than willing to help make it right. It doesn’t always have to be a fight or an effort to besmirch the character or career of the doc. Malpractice insurance covers “oops” just like it covers outright malpractice. Car insurance isn’t only there for distracted or drunk drivers. Sometimes things just happen.

a better and more correct term is “professional liability insurance”

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have known two (2) people who have said, in all seriousness, "I will die on the way to Fort Wayne rather than go to Adams County hospital. Never take me there!"

No joke, no exaggeration.

When I was shot I did go to their ER due to proximity. Once I heard someone say that I needed surgery I said in a VERY firm voice, "My surgeon is Dr. Ronald Caldwell at FWO!" He had retired but I didn't know that. They transferred me to FW Lutheran and Dr. Schwartz cut on me. He did a fine job and saved my finger.

No surgery in Adams Cty for me.

I am so sorry to hear about your wife's suffering. Good luck with your search.

You could try contacting the Indiana State Bar Association and ask for lawyers who specialize in medical malpractice. https://www.inbar.org/

Regards,

Doug

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I am a med map defense attorney. Have been for 20 years.

I would look for a Martindale-Hubble AV rated plaintiff med mal attorney. Any reputable attorney will work on contingency (no recovery, no pay). Prayers for you and your wife, especially.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Top Bottom