Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    :ugh:

'US Bike Route' To Add New Sections Through South Central Indiana

...A new bike route is being planned for south central Indiana. Officials behind the project say it's an effort to promote safety and connectivity.

It will run from Monument Circle in Indianapolis to just north of Seymour, using existing roads and trails.

Jim Schroeder came up with the route, which will be part of the US Bike Route, a collaboration between states' transportation departments and bike enthusiast group Adventure Cycling.

Schroeder says US Bike Route is like an interstate for bicycles...

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Which part do we hate? That it's using existing roads, trails, etc. so that the cost is basically nonexistent? That other people can do whatever they want and we don't have to care?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm not fond of bicyclists not following Indiana driving laws. By not doing so, they are a hazard to all.

Are you talking about the a-holes in the city blasting through lights and racing down sidewalks?

That's not the target for this route - this is for road bike touring class.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    There are certainly those a-holes that never get a ticket while never heading traffic signals and signs in the city for sure.

The ones I'm mainly referring to are those that hold up cars by the dozen or more while riding the rural roads and highways. Those that pass up numerous pull off places that could allow vehicle traffic to flow as it should. Those than often ride side by side so they can converse while intentionally impeding vehicular traffic flow.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Nice! Does this mean they’ll stop taking up the entire roadway and refusing to yield to motor vehicles attempting to go the speed limit?

I’m fine with the spandex, as long as I’m not stuck behind you doing 10-15 mph because you won’t move.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    There are certainly those a-holes that never get a ticket while never heading traffic signals and signs in the city for sure.

The ones I'm mainly referring to are those that hold up cars by the dozen or more while riding the rural roads and highways. Those that pass up numerous pull off places that could allow vehicle traffic to flow as it should. Those than often ride side by side so they can converse while intentionally impeding vehicular traffic flow.

I joined a pack of them last summer winding through Morgan/Monroe. At the time I still had straight pipes... they decided to let me pass. :laugh:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Which part do we hate? That it's using existing roads, trails, etc. so that the cost is basically nonexistent? That other people can do whatever they want and we don't have to care?

suuuuuuure it is. that's how they always sell these things....
    but there'll be parts of the trail they have to connect, or enhance, etc....

example $12M (80% federal) Boondoggle:
    https://www.cityoffortwayne.org/publicworks/189-investing-in-our-community/3738-dupont-road.html

there are other roads in the immediate area that needed widening more than this road, imo. the whole effort was really about making the trail connection across the road...
    there was already a light 200 hundred yards down the road where a minor re-route with a sidewalk along the road could have put the trail on a crosswalk to get across the road... but no, let's raise the road bed and put in an underpass. :rolleyes:

It looks like it'll be nice. I'll use it. might as well, I already pd for it.

-rvb

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Gotcha.

I can see how this a problem down in the hills and hollers, up here, there's plenty of room to pass.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    A lot of the problem is that the bicyclists are not policed. They should also be required to buy license plates and be insured as motorists are.

So, you're arguing for more laws and government regulations? :scratch:

No sarcasm: Why do hate freedom?

[embedding video]
    [video=youtube;WJiixtKuVq8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJiixtKuVq8[/video]

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    So, you're arguing for more laws and government regulations? :scratch:

No sarcasm: Why do hate freedom?

I'm not all. I'd be totally happy to being on equal ground "sharing the road," with the cyclists. Removing the foolish regulation of license plates and insurance for motor vehicles is fine with me.
    :rockwoot:
    I'd mount cow catchers on the vehicles. That'd learn them arrogant cyclists, now wouldn't it? ;)

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Funny how we want all these rights and acceptance as gun owners but if we don't partake in something, then it's a pain and hindrance to us. We don't want to require gun owners to take a class in order to secure a carry permit, but we want cyclists to buy special insurance? They most likely already have insurance as do the douche bag drivers that try to clip them with their mirrors.

We should all know that you can't legislate stupid out of people.

FWIW, bicyclists are allowed by law to ride 2 abreast. Yes, this could mean your travel is being impeded by them. The video above is good however if the group is small, I would drop into single file.

There is always going to be that percentage of people out there that give whatever they are doing a bad name. Even people who are interested in firearms.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    FWIW, bicyclists are allowed by law to ride 2 abreast. Yes, this could mean your travel is being impeded by them. The video above is good however if the group is small, I would drop into single file.
    As I learned when riding a motorcycle, sometimes you need to ride in the left part of the lane to "be big" and prevent cars from passing in a dangerous situation.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Seymour? That's down towards my (original) part of the State. I'm not saying a cyclist will get impaled on a wing-disc or a hay rake. I'm not NOT saying...

Top Bottom