• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I am remodeling our master bathroom. The old garden tub is turquoise blue. The thing had little use and is made of cast iron. My thought is to bust it up with a sledgehammer so I can scrap it. My wife thinks that since it is retro it may have value. The thing was made back in the 1970s so it isn't incredibly old nor is it a claw-foot type tub. I'm going to guess that the thing weighs 400-500 pounds and I would need to build a crate around it to get it on a dolly to get it out of the house and in a truck.
    Is there a place or company that buys this type of thing?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Somebody will undoubtedly buy it, that said, it’s gonna be a ***** to get out. I’m sure you’d be money ahead to just bust it up, but I’m not that well versed in retro/antique/other dumb stuff people spend money on.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The mid-century modern style is really big right now. I would think the worst you could do is offer it up for someone to come and get it. Let them do the heavy work. Just disconnect the plumbing for them.

If not and you wanted to go to the trouble, you could remove it and take it to a Habitat Restore and donate it.

Or bust it up.:)

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I know there are several places that sell "vintage" or "retro" architectural salvage so there's probably some value in it. I believe there might even be one or two in Indy and I know I've seen at least one that advertises on Craigslist. If you have the room take a few pictures and post it for a couple of weeks then call Habitat to pick it up if it doesn't sell.

elkhunter2018

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I'd say bust it up unless you know of a specific place to take it, because I feel like there won't be much interest on CL or FB. If you're anything like me, you have quite a few things queued to sell already and that thing will be a HUGE pain to store/move.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    It’s a garden tub so the thing is huge. It would require building a crate, setting it on end, and hoping my appliance dolly and me can handle it.

Top Bottom