• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    She’s in her mid ‘80s and while she doesn’t have a lot of money or valuables, I really want her to have a will or trust set up so there’s no greed and infighting over her assets when the time comes.
    Im almost 60 and have never needed a lawyer so I know none to turn to. She started working with one lawyer but he wanted nearly $7K up front to handle it. She refused to pay that much and I agreed with her.
    Suggestions? Southwest side of Indy.

Thanks, Matt

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    I'm gonna follow this, I'm going through the same thing with my dad.
    Mom passed away 6 years ago and right now my little brother has control of everything. Dad's in pretty good health right now but I need to get things straightened out ahead of time.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm gonna follow this, I'm going through the same thing with my dad.
    Mom passed away 6 years ago and right now my little brother has control of everything. Dad's in pretty good health right now but I need to get things straightened out ahead of time.

Yes you do. When his mental acuity begins to wane, it's really too late to get the documents prepared and in place. If you anticipated a fight over assets, you have virtually guaranteed a lawsuit if he doesn't get the plan in place before then.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Yes you do. When his mental acuity begins to wane, it's really too late to get the documents prepared and in place. If you anticipated a fight over assets, you have virtually guaranteed a lawsuit if he doesn't get the plan in place before then.

I don’t believe my family would be a problem but I have seen so many other families torn apart over this kind of thing. It’s just not worth the risk. Mom has nothing I ever wanted and any money she has isn’t going to make much difference in my life. I think everyone should be sure to have this sorted long before it’s time.

Matt

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    FWIW, my girlfriend is an attorney and the firm she works at specializes in trusts and estates. She's a bit out of your way, but they do flat rate work at reason prices.

Armstrong Law Offices in Brook, IN (Newton Co... so, a bit of a drive)
    (219) 275-4222

If you'd prefer, I can ask her to put her feelers out to the Bar association for recommendations in your zip code. When a lawyer recommends another lawyer, there's bad hell to pay with the association if things go badly sideways later. Judges don't like it either.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I believe my folks used Comer Law in Danville and were happy with the service.

Hard to beat Ben Comer or his sister Amy. I went to school with them and have known them my lifetime. Their Mom and Dad were both attorneys, and mom was judge for years...lot of experience in that office.

Another good guy is Greg Black in Plainfield.

As for me and my family, we always just wrote out a will on a paper and had notarized.......but then again, in my family when someone dies, it just means you inherited debt.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    Dori Moore at Brauman Moore Law Offices in Brownsburg has helped us with my parents in the past. She and her daughter, Abbe Harvey, specialize in Elder Care. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of being prepared for the inevitable. A will is just the first step. We needed asset protection for my mother after my father passed and Dori set that up for us. Good luck.

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Thanks all, my wife and I have talked to dad about this and he is willing to let us help him out. I have an older homeless alcoholic brother and a younger brother who is in debt up to his butt. I have quite a few guns and tools out at the farm as it's my hunting place, little brother lives in south Carolina and he's all about money. I'm just glad my dad is willing to let us get this done.

Top Bottom